Macquarries of Isle of Eigg

  • jolly philippe
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2008
      Dear members,
      I learned that at some periods of time (16th, 17th centuries and/or other) members of the Clan  had to take refuge in the Isle of Eigg because willing to remain roman catholics and/or because being jacobites.(It is notably mentioned in the book "Clan Macquarrie - A History")
      One consequence was that a number were killed and others were transported to the New World. Nevertheless, I found a picture of a Macquarrie lady living there in 1914.
      I should be interested in the history (or stories) about these people who came to Eigg, who were they (probably from cadets branches -which ones- of the Macquarrie family ?), from where did they come, how, why, what did they do ...?
      Publications from the Isle of Eigg History Society seems to deal with more contemporary subjects than the ones I mention. Therefore, I ask you, if anybody knows, because so many people know so many things in our group...

      Sincerely

      Philippe Jolly