Visiting Mull/Ulva

  • tchphysics
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
      I'll be visiting Glasgow on business next week and am planning to take
      a couple days around the 14th/15th to visit Mull and Ulva (and Staffa
      if possible). It looks like I should be able to drive to Mull in about
      3 1/2 hours and so I'll look for a hotel on the island. From there it
      looks like I can take a ferry over from the western end of the island
      to Ulva and explore by foot.

      Any recommendations on what to do and where to visit on a short visit
      like this? Also, does anyone know if Alan MacQuarrie, the co-author
      of "Clan MacQuarrie - A History" is still at Glasgow University? I
      have this book and will be using it as a guide to finding my way around.

      I'll take lots of pictures and make them available on a website upon my
      return.

      This has been quite a year for me as I was able to visit Sydney
      Australia earlier this year and got to sit in Mrs. MacQuarie's Chair
      and found lots of MacQuarie references (yes they spell it wrong over
      there).

      Regards,
      Jeff MacQuarrie
    • Steven
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
        Jeff,

        Mull is HUGE! Went to Iona this past summer and loved it. Your going at a real good time to travel as tourist season is still in its infancy.

        Only regret- didn't take my Fly Rod---great places to fish.

        See you next summer?

        tchphysics <jamacq@...> wrote:
[...]

        Steven McQuerry

      • lachiedamn
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 13, 2008
          --- In macquarrie@yahoogroups.com, "tchphysics" <jamacq@...> wrote:

          > I'll be visiting Glasgow on business next week and am planning to
          take
          > a couple days around the 14th/15th to visit Mull and Ulva (and
          Staffa
          > if possible). It looks like I should be able to drive to Mull in
          about
          > 3 1/2 hours and so I'll look for a hotel on the island. From there
          it
          > looks like I can take a ferry over from the western end of the
          island
          > to Ulva and explore by foot.
          >
          > Any recommendations on what to do and where to visit on a short
          visit
          > like this? Also, does anyone know if Alan MacQuarrie, the co-
          author
          > of "Clan MacQuarrie - A History" is still at Glasgow University? I
          > have this book and will be using it as a guide to finding my way
          around.

          > I'll take lots of pictures and make them available on a website
          upon my
          > return.
          >
          > This has been quite a year for me as I was able to visit Sydney
          > Australia earlier this year and got to sit in Mrs. MacQuarie's
          Chair
          > and found lots of MacQuarie references (yes they spell it wrong
          over
          > there).
          >
          > Regards,
          > Jeff MacQuarrie

          Well Jeff I am sorry to say they spell it wrong on my passport and
          driving licence too. What should I do?

          Is gorm na cnuic 'tha fada 'uainn

          Rearguards

          Lachie Macquarie.
        • tchphysics
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 14, 2008
            No insult intended. I'm sorry.

            Jeff

            > Well Jeff I am sorry to say they spell it wrong on my passport and
            > driving licence too. What should I do?
            >
            > Is gorm na cnuic 'tha fada 'uainn
            >

            > Rearguards
            >
            > Lachie Macquarie.

          • Lachie Macquarie
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 17, 2008
              None taken Jeff,
              However Colin MacQuarrie and I used to rip the shite out of each other at
              school over it. Of course we all know that it is a matter of luck how a name
              is tranliterated/transcribed from the Gàidhlig into English. Maybe we should
              all go back to spelling our names in Gàidhlig, if anybody could decide what
              the definitive version would be?

              Lochlainn Eoin MacGuadhre?

              --
              Sláinte