Re: [macquarrie] Re: How to Begin

  • Evelyn Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2007
      Ronnie and Cindy, or anyone else, here is what I need verified with census material from Canada:

      Great-Grandfather John Joseph Dougherty was born 8 Mar 1859 in Castlemore, Ontario, Canada. He married my Great-Grandmother, Minerva Jane McQuerry in 1886 in Brownwood, Brown, Texas, USA, and died on 1 Mar 1935 in Grapevine, Tarrant, Texas, USA. From what I understand, J. J. emigrated to Canada when an older brother inherited the family farm, which was supposedly "entailed," leaving everything to the eldest son. Another brother, George (who lost contact with the family), ended up in California.

      J. J.'s father was supposedly Bernard Dougherty (b. 1823 in Donegal, Ireland, d. Ontario, Canada). Bernard married Mary Ann McConnell, who was born in 1823. I would presume that both Bernard and Mary Ann died in Castlemore, Ontario, Canada. I have no background information on Mary Ann. Their children include, but are not necessarily limited to, John Joseph, Patrick, George, and Elizabeth.

      Bernard's father was Patrick Doherty (note the change in spelling), who was reputedly born in 1794 in Ireland and died abt 1869 in Ontario, Canada. Patrick's father, in turn, was Bernard Doherty, who was born in 1761 in Donegal, Ireland, and died in 1851 in Ontario, Canada.

      Thanks for the help.

      Elaine

      ronniem859 <RonnieM859@...> wrote:
      --- In macquarrie@yahoogroups.com, cjm <thegenseeker@...> wrote:

      > Elaine, I can access the International database from
      ancestry....what
      > names do you need looked up....any specifics will make it much
      simpler.
      > Cinda
      >

      > On Feb 23, 2007, at 4:25 PM, Evelyn Smith wrote:
      >
      > > Karen, I'll be glad to send you my link to Ancestry.com if you
      sent me
      > > your e-mail separately, but it might not be the particular set of
      data
      > > you need. "My McQuerrys" descended from the John Macquarrie who
      came
      > > to America after the Battle of Cullodeen. They lived first in
      Kentucky
      > > and then a goodly portion of them emigrated to Texas shortly
      before
      > > the American Civil War (Look for lots of Williams and Charles if
      in
      > > doubt). Of course, you'll also get all my other ancestors along
      with
      > > the Macquarries.
      > >
      > > By the way, those of you from Canada can provide me with some
      > > information on my Canadian relatives (Doughertys and McConnells).
      I'd
      > > have to pay for the International version of Ancestry.com to get
      that
      > > material whereas I can get relatively old material from the
      British
      > > Isles via the US Ancestry.com.
      > >
      > > Elaine
      > >
      > > karen_johns2 <kjohns2@...> wrote:
      > > Hello, fellow clan members!
      > >
      > > I have been having a tough time getting started with this
      research
      > > thing. I have quite a bit of information about my MacQuarrie
      family,
      > > but was wondering if anyone has any trees that can be
      downloaded? My
      > > understanding is that if someone can find a link to their
      family, they
      > > might be able to download the info from somebody else's data.
      Does
      > > that make sense to anyone out there? I guess I don't know what is
      > > possible, what programs are the best to use, and how I can go
      about
      > > getting information that somebody else may have already
      researched so
      > > can move on to something else.
      > >
      > > Of course, this is a very general request for help, but I would
      > > appreciate any constructive information anyone could give me. I
      kind
      > > of feel lost and overwhelmed about how it would be best to begin.
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > >
      > > Karen Johns
      > > g-granddaughter of Francis Archibald MacQuarrie, of Halifax

      Hello all,
      I want to express my sincere apologies to those of you who thought mt
      postings from Garrard County as trivial at best. But these were
      taken from family letters and papers in the McQuerry file there. I
      had meant only to share from info in Kentucky that some from Texas,
      Canada,Missouri, etc., might not have an opportunity to come here.
      This not happen on this site again by me, regrettably.
      I did make a mistake concerning James Clayton McQuerry, b.1846. He
      was in Huntsville, Arkansas and not Arizona. His children were;
      Wesley L. George and John H and married Tecora ( Cora ) Thurston West
      from Estill Co., Ky. Wallace is mentioned as Wesley's son in my
      families letters from James C. while in Huntsville, Ark. dated 1906.
      please pardon my enthusiasm to find family members long gone from
      Kentucky. Sincerely, Ronnie M