McQuary's and Reddies River NC.

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2006
      March 30th I had the opportunity to walk along the Reddies River in NC
      and try to imagine what it must have looked like in the 1700's when
      John and his son William were farming here. It was a two day drive for
      us from the coast of NC to the Reddies River, I can just imagine how
      long it must have taken them.
      What a beautiful place to have lived, it had to be hard to survive
      but the land along the river is very fertile and everywhere I looked
      there were farms. You have to ask yourself what made them pull up
      stakes and move the entire family to Flat Lick, Kentucky. I hope that
      when I get to Flat Lick in a few days I will be able to see what drew
      them to the area other than the urge to constantly move west..
      Anyone wanting pictures of the river and the farm land around it can
      PM me and I will send out some pictures. Depending where I am at when I
      hear from you it may take awhile as I am doing all of this via laptop
      and cellphone connection and must have a good signal to send pictures.

      Bob
    • Bill McQuary
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2006
        Bob,

        I'd love to see a picture of the Reddies River country.

        Making very slow progress editing the Grant McQ & wife portrait because of other demands on my time.

        Regards,
        Bill

        >March 30th I had the opportunity to walk along the Reddies River in NC
        >and try to imagine what it must have looked like in the 1700's when
        >John and his son William were farming here. It was a two day drive for
        >us from the coast of NC to the Reddies River, I can just imagine how
        >long it must have taken them.
        > What a beautiful place to have lived, it had to be hard to survive
        >but the land along the river is very fertile and everywhere I looked
        >there were farms. You have to ask yourself what made them pull up
        >stakes and move the entire family to Flat Lick, Kentucky. I hope that
        >when I get to Flat Lick in a few days I will be able to see what drew
        >them to the area other than the urge to constantly move west..
        > Anyone wanting pictures of the river and the farm land around it can
        >PM me and I will send out some pictures. Depending where I am at when I
        >hear from you it may take awhile as I am doing all of this via laptop
        >and cellphone connection and must have a good signal to send pictures.
        >
        >Bob
        >

        >This is the MacQuarrie e-mail list.
        >http://albanach.org/macquarrie
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Frank McQueary
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2006
          Bob: I too would like to get copies of your Reddies River pics and any you
          might get from the Flat Lick area. I hope to make the same trek myself one
          day, but NC and KY are a long way from AK.

          Frank McQueary

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2006
            Hello Bruce. I am sitting just a short distance from the Flat Lick Baptis Church and the church yard where William and Nancy McQuary are buried. Tomorrow we will also be touring the original McQuary homestead here and meeting with some of the extended family. Tonight we met with Sallie McQuary who goes back to William and is still on a McQuary farm but I believe not the one that William first settled on and my great grandfather sold after his father Humphrey died and left it to him...

            I do not have a digital signal here in fact my laptop and cell phone are barely connected. I will take pictures and get them out when I get to where I can transmit...

            Bob

[...]

            Family history genealogy Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

            This is the MacQuarrie e-mail list.
            http://albanach.org/macquarrie

          • Bruce McQueary