Ulva

  • Tom McQuarrie
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 15, 2005
      Hello
      I have recently returned from a trip to Ulva. While there I took a lot of
      pictures.I am more then willing to share them with whoever is interested.
      Some comments The island is more of a nature walk now. What was the
      MacQuarrie museum upstairs in the ferry house is now a nature exhibit.But I
      was told that Mrs. Howard insists on maintaining all the MacQuarrie "Guest
      Books " There are a few family trees left by past MacQuarrie descendants.
      We had some difficulty finding our way around the island. There are signs
      but they could be improved.
      The folks in the Mull Museum Tobermory were very helpful particularly Bill
      Gray and Lorna Maclean.
      Tom McQuarrie
    • Scott
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 15, 2005
        I'd be very interested in looking at the pictures you took. Thanks!

        Alan Scott MacQuarrie

        Tom McQuarrie <tishimself@...> wrote:
        Hello
        I have recently returned from a trip to Ulva. While there I took a lot of
        pictures.I am more then willing to share them with whoever is interested.
        Some comments The island is more of a nature walk now. What was the
        MacQuarrie museum upstairs in the ferry house is now a nature exhibit.But I
        was told that Mrs. Howard insists on maintaining all the MacQuarrie "Guest
        Books " There are a few family trees left by past MacQuarrie descendants.
        We had some difficulty finding our way around the island. There are signs
        but they could be improved.
        The folks in the Mull Museum Tobermory were very helpful particularly Bill
        Gray and Lorna Maclean.
        Tom McQuarrie

        This is the MacQuarrie e-mail list.
        HTTP://ALBANACH.ORG/MACQUARRIE

      • Matthew A. C. Newsome
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 16, 2005
          On 8/15/05, Tom McQuarrie <tishimself@...> wrote:

          > Hello
          > I have recently returned from a trip to Ulva. While there I took a lot of
          > pictures.I am more then willing to share them with whoever is interested.

          Tom,
          Please feel free to upload them to the photo section of the yahoo group
          site, if you don't have an on-line home for the pictures already. I know
          many of us would love to see them.
          Tell us more about your, trip, as well!
          Aye,
          Matt

          --
          > Matthew A. C. Newsome, FSA Scot
          > Curator of the Scottish Tartans Museum
          > Member of the Guild of Tartan Scholars
          > Homepage: http://www.albanach.org

        • M Vaughan
          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 16, 2005
            I'd also love to see them!
            Thanks so much,
            Michelle Vaughan

            >From: Scott <scottmacquarrie@...>
            >To: macquarrie@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [macquarrie] Ulva
            >Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:26:59 -0700 (PDT)
            >
            >I'd be very interested in looking at the pictures you took. Thanks!
            >
            >Alan Scott MacQuarrie
            >
            >Tom McQuarrie <tishimself@...> wrote:
            >Hello
            >I have recently returned from a trip to Ulva. While there I took a lot of
            >pictures.I am more then willing to share them with whoever is interested.
            >Some comments The island is more of a nature walk now. What was the
            >MacQuarrie museum upstairs in the ferry house is now a nature exhibit.But I
            >was told that Mrs. Howard insists on maintaining all the MacQuarrie "Guest
            >Books " There are a few family trees left by past MacQuarrie descendants.
            >We had some difficulty finding our way around the island. There are signs
            >but they could be improved.
            >The folks in the Mull Museum Tobermory were very helpful particularly Bill
            >Gray and Lorna Maclean.
            >Tom McQuarrie
            >

            >This is the MacQuarrie e-mail list.
            >HTTP://ALBANACH.ORG/MACQUARRIE

          • Cari Gerrits
            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 16, 2005
              I would be interested in seeing the photos. Can you send them to me at
              this address?

              Cari Gerrits

              I have recently returned from a trip to Ulva. While there I took a lot
              of pictures.I am more then willing to share them with whoever is
              interested.
              Some comments The island is more of a nature walk now. What was the
              MacQuarrie museum upstairs in the ferry house is now a nature
              exhibit.But I was told that Mrs. Howard insists on maintaining all the
              MacQuarrie "Guest Books " There are a few family trees left by past
              MacQuarrie descendants.
              We had some difficulty finding our way around the island. There are
              signs but they could be improved.
              The folks in the Mull Museum Tobermory were very helpful particularly
              Bill Gray and Lorna Maclean.
              Tom McQuarrie

              href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12h01hpjr/M=362343.6886680.7839639.292
              0218/D=groups/S=1705040837:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1124165940/A=2894350/R=0/SIG=1
              0tj5mr8v/*http://www.globalgiving.com">Make a difference. Find and fund
              world-changing projects at GlobalGiving</a>.</font>
              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 16, 2005
                On 8/16/05, Tom McQuarrie <tishimself@...> wrote:

                > *Matt*
                > *Can you give me some instructions on how to access the website ? I am
                > afraid I have forgotten how as well as any passwords etc. I might need to
                > access the site.*
                > *Tom*

                Tom,
                You'll need to go to:
                It may ask you to log in with your Yahoo ID and password. I'm afraid I
                don't know what your password might be, but if you have forgotten, there
                should be a button to click for them to email a password to you.
                Once you get logged in, in the left hand menu on the group page, click on
                "Photos." Up near the top of the page click on where it says "Add Photos"
                and then follow the instructions.
                Let me know if you need more help. Push comes to shove you can email the
                photos to me off list and I can upload them for you.
                Aye,
                Matt

              • alumni0rutnj@aol.com
                Message 7 of 29 , Aug 16, 2005
                  Hello all

                  Pictures are always interesting, at least in my opinion. Can you post them
                  on this site? A brief description of the picture would be wonderful too.

                  Thank you, Dee

                • Barbara Jo Brothers, LCSW, BCD. CGP
                  Message 8 of 29 , Aug 16, 2005
                    I am a descendant of Malcolm McCourry, who was born on the Isle of
                    Islay Jan 1742 , was kidnapped from the island when he was 12 years old,
                    and brought to America.
                    This is all I know about his beginning.
                    In online records of burial sites, I found a Malcolm MacQuarrie, died
                    1794 and buried on the Isle of Islay. This was the oldest MacQuarrie record
                    I could find and, of course, don't whether he had any connection with my
                    ancestor's family.
                    Thursday, I am leaving the U.S. and going to the Isle of Islay to
                    see what, if anything, I might find out.
                    I looked up MacQuarrie online and saw that their main place was
                    Ulva, that they were a small clan with an affinity for Clan MacDonald. Does
                    anybody have any idea what they might have been doing on the Isle of Islay?

                    Barbara Jo

                    At 10:18 PM 8/15/05 -0400, you wrote:
                    >Hello
                    >I have recently returned from a trip to Ulva. While there I took a lot of
                    >pictures.I am more then willing to share them with whoever is interested.
                    >Some comments The island is more of a nature walk now. What was the
                    >MacQuarrie museum upstairs in the ferry house is now a nature exhibit.But I
                    >was told that Mrs. Howard insists on maintaining all the MacQuarrie "Guest
                    >Books " There are a few family trees left by past MacQuarrie descendants.
                    >We had some difficulty finding our way around the island. There are signs
                    >but they could be improved.
                    >The folks in the Mull Museum Tobermory were very helpful particularly Bill
                    >Gray and Lorna Maclean.
                    >Tom McQuarrie
                    >

                    >This is the MacQuarrie e-mail list.
                    >HTTP://ALBANACH.ORG/MACQUARRIE
                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • shoe
                    Message 9 of 29 , Aug 16, 2005
                      And you didn't take me with you, Tom! <smile>

                      It sounds like you had a great trip! I look forward to seeing your pictures
                      and renewing my memories.

                      Mark Shoemaker
                      Son of a McQueary

                      Message 10 of 29 , Aug 17, 2005
                        Hi,
                        I can't help you, but if anyone here can it may be Soupy, look for
                        her address, umm, I think under the 'members' link.

                        Good luck,
                        ~Snoshoe

                        --- In macquarrie@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Jo Brothers, LCSW, BCD.

                      • bbrothe@tulane.edu
                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 18, 2005
                          Can you tell me how to find "Soupy"?
                          Am just now able to read my email. Am a New Orleans hurricane Katrina
                          evacuee--did not lose my house, but am relocating. This email was going through
                          Tulane University which is closed. Email was unavailable too for a long time.
                          I did go to the Isle of Islay and found McCourry clues for anybody who is
                          interested.

                          Barbara Jo Brothers
                          bbrothe@...

                        • bbrothe@tulane.edu
                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 18, 2005

                          • bbrothe@tulane.edu
                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 18, 2005
                              Can you tell me how to find "Soupy"?
                              Am just now able to read my email. Am a New Orleans hurricane Katrina
                              evacuee--did not lose my house, but am relocating. This email was going through
                              Tulane University which is closed. Email was unavailable too for a long time.
                              I did go to the Isle of Islay and found McCourry clues for anybody who is
                              interested.

                              Barbara Jo Brothers
                              bbrothe@...

                              Quoting snoshoe_2 <nonengbunny@...>:

                              > Hi,
                              > I can't help you, but if anyone here can it may be Soupy, look for
                              > her address, umm, I think under the 'members' link.
                              >
                              > Good luck,
                              > ~Snoshoe
                              >
                              > --- In macquarrie@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Jo Brothers, LCSW, BCD.
                              > CGP" <bbrothe@t...> wrote:
                              > > I am a descendant of Malcolm McCourry, who was born on the
                              > Isle of
                              > > Islay Jan 1742 , was kidnapped from the island when he was 12 years
                              > old,
                              > > and brought to America.
                              > > This is all I know about his beginning.
                              > > In online records of burial sites, I found a Malcolm
                              > MacQuarrie, died
                              > > 1794 and buried on the Isle of Islay. This was the oldest
                              > MacQuarrie record
                              > > I could find and, of course, don't whether he had any connection
                              > with my
                              > > ancestor's family.
                              > > Thursday, I am leaving the U.S. and going to the Isle of
                              > Islay to
                              > > see what, if anything, I might find out.
                              > > I looked up MacQuarrie online and saw that their main place
                              > was
                              > > Ulva, that they were a small clan with an affinity for Clan
                              > MacDonald. Does
                              > > anybody have any idea what they might have been doing on the Isle
                              > of Islay?
                              > >
                              > > Barbara Jo
                              > >

                              > This is the MacQuarrie e-mail list.
                              > HTTP://ALBANACH.ORG/MACQUARRIE
                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • soupy572001
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 20, 2005
                                Hi: I'm Soupy, unfortunately I don't think I can help you unles it's
                                to put you unto a certain person. Please E-Mail me at my address when
                                you can and I will give you this person's information.
                                It should be in member's list or on this reply. Sue P
                              • Dorothy
                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 1, 2010
                                  Cousins,
                                  The Isle of Ulva is beautiful and privately owned. Members of the
                                  Howard family, owners of Ulva, are extremely nice people as are the
                                  few tenants that live and work there. Jamie Howard is working to
                                  improve the buildings, the trails, and especially the land so that his
                                  prize livestock will be profitable to raise. At Clan MacQuarrie
                                  Gatherings we have had feasts and programs in the Church - a
                                  Parliament Church that should be preserved as well as its history.
                                  Soon the church will be upgraded, but surely they will keep the pulpit
                                  with the overhead sounding board. I found it a rare privilege to walk
                                  the trails, view the ruined villages, enjoy the scenery, and breathe
                                  in the wonderfully clean air. The last Chief of the Clan had a home,
                                  but it has been recycled into dykes and barns, but we saluted the old
                                  fellow by kissing stones on a high fence nearby where hawthorn bushes
                                  were blooming. We saw a rowan tree, planted for good luck. One may
                                  see a lime kiln and vat for burning kelp and go inside a few of the
                                  cottages that yet stand. A trip to the museum chronicles the geology
                                  of the island, the cave, the flora and the fauna. Likewise, the
                                  MacQuarries are noted as well as others that have inhabited the Isle.
                                  On four visits to the Isle I have truly walked in the footsteps of my
                                  ancestors. Mr. Howard allows people to roam the trails or sit and
                                  dream, the only cost is for the ferry ride over and back. Oh, yes,
                                  you do pay for fresh oysters pulled up from the icy water as you wait
                                  on the terrace to open and eat them, or the salmon, or your soup or
                                  coffee or fresh baked cakes and pies. The tea shop is one industry
                                  on Ulva. The other appears to be raising beef cattle and horses.
                                  I'm not sure if the dogs are for hunting red deer or not. I trust no
                                  one wants to demolish the buildings on Ulva or to modernize the
                                  landscape. Perhaps Ulva should be left for poets and artists or
                                  another Mendelsson to write a second Hebridian Overture. That way Mr.
                                  Howard may continue his husbandry of the land, and we MacQuarries may
                                  enjoy it as genteel guests, not like old Dr. Johnson that complained
                                  that the Chief's house was "mean" because the floor got a little wet
                                  from a little Scotch mist.
                                  Salinte'
                                  Dorothy McQuary Callaway
                                • frank/yvonne fisher

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Feb 2, 2010
                                      If you use dogs to hunt deer or any other animal you will spend a bit of
                                      time in the big hoose. I think it was 2004 that it was made illegal.
                                      Everybody has the right to roam in Scotland as long as they don't cause any
                                      damage. As I recall there is no act of Trespass.
                                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Reform_(Scotland)_Act_2003

                                      Remember from your Socialist Worker Party days all, "*all** property is **
                                      theft".*

                                      http://www.knoydart-foundation.com/

                                      http://www.communitiesscotland.gov.uk/stellent/groups/public/documents/webpages/cs_019366.hcsp

                                      Not particularly relevant to Ulva but interesting none the less.

                                      --
                                      Sl�inte

                                      Lachie.