Polly Tosh

  • Louise Tosh
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 25, 2006
      Could anyone tell me who the Polly Tosh is in the Pension stuff for
      the war of 1812. Is this Mary Ann Martin Tosh or Mary P Cherry Tosh??
    • Dawn D. West
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 30, 2006
        I don't know if this helps or not, but this is what I
        found

        Tosh men listed in the records of the War of 1812:

        JAMES TOSH 4 REGIMENT VIRGINIA MILITIA. PRIVATE
        PRIVATE

        JAMES TOSH 121 REG'T (JULY-SEPT., 1813, AND SEPT.,
        1814,) VIRGINIA MILITIA. PRIVATE PRIVATE

        WILLIAM TOSH CAPT. WINDSOR'S CO., MTD., MISSOURI
        MILITIA. PRIVATE PRIVATE

        WILLIAM TOSH 1 REG'T (WYNNE'S) W. TENNESSEE MILITIA.
        PRIVATE PRIVATE

        Illinois Marriages to 1850:

        Clevenger, Mary[Mrs] Tosh, William 21 Sep 1850
        Illinois
        Macoupin County

        View Record Martin, Polly Ann Tosh, William R. 09 Jun
        1836 Illinois
        Sangamon County
      • Linda Arnold
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 30, 2006
          I believe William Tosh who served "WILLIAM TOSH 1 REG'T (WYNNE'S) W.
          TENNESSEE MILITIA. PRIVATE PRIVATE" is William Tosh (Sr.) who went
          to Macoupin County. He is the one who married 2nd, "Illinois
          Marriages to 1850: Clevenger, Mary[Mrs] Tosh, William 21 Sep 1850
          Illinois Macoupin County.

          But I believe they mixed up the Marys/Pollys when they published the
          book to which Louise Tosh refers. I don't believe Mrs. Mary
          Clevenger (she was Mary Peterson Cherry) applied for a pension for
          her second husband's service. It is only circumstantial evidence
          that assigns Wm. Tosh of the Tenn. Militia as the William Tosh (Sr.)
          of Macoupin County, Illinois. At least so far as I have been been
          able to determine. I am sure they are the same, but no "real proof"
          yet as surfaced.

          I think the confusion arose when Polly Ann Martin (m. Wm. Riley Tosh)
          and she did apply and collect a pension but for his service in the
          Civil War.

          As for the two James Toshes and the other William Tosh of MO, I don't
          have record of them and don't believe either made their way to
          Macoupin County, Illinois.

          Dawn I sent you an e-mail directly because it didn't pertain to this
          discussion. It's been a really rough past couple of years for me,
          but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel ... or is that a
          train heading my way? 'Still plugging away on our Lairs!

          Linda Arnold
          California
        • Louise Tosh
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 30, 2006
            Thank you Dawn for the help that you gave me. It was very helpful
            because of the use of the name Polly. When they do that it makes
            looking for the right Mary. Thanks again for helping to clear this up.

            Louise Tosh
          • Dawn D. West
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 31, 2006
              Louise:

              No problem - that is why we are here! :)

              Dawn