Andrews/Graham families

  • mommyeyore
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2004
      Hello. My mother was born in Carlinville, 1920. Her mother's
      family were the Grahams who owned the drug store on the square for
      so many generations. Her father's family were the Andrews who
      farmed in Macoupin and Greene (Jersey) from 1830 to 1959. I am
      interested in any information about these families. Thank you for
      the opportunity.
    • Dawn D. West
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8, 2004
        In the History of Macoupin County, IL it says:

        Page 87: Druggists: M. Graham and Son.

        Page 108: George B. Hughes: "He opened up a store of
        family groceries and supplies and at the end of three
        months, formed a partnership with Milam Graham in
        general merchandizing. The partnership continued one
        year, when he sold out to Graham and clerked for a
        short time, when he formed a partnership with Mr.
        Eright for two years and four months".

        There are several other Grahams listed: Amanda, J.
        J.G, James, John, Joseph, Lee, Miles and Wm. D.

        As for the Andrews, which one? There are several isted
        in the history.

        Hope this helps.

        Dawn Lair-West
        G.G. Granddaughter of Austin Sims Lair
      • pandacb@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 5 , May 8, 2004
          Thank you for your assistance. I know the Graham history fairly well, although I have some questions about Mary Rice Graham, the wife of William Dwight - such as which Rice was her father?

          In regard to the Andrews family, my oldest known ancestor is Joseph Sr. born 1780 in sussex, Virginia. He was the husband of Susannah Ellis and together they had a number of children including Robert D., Joseph, Jr., John, Lucy (Holloway and then Shore), Susan Christian (Hart). The family moved into Greene (now Jersey) and Macoupin Counties. They had 900 acres bridging both counties at the height of the farm; which was in the family from 1830 until 1959. I am from the line of Joseph, Jr, born 1810. Now, I am in the process of mapping all the descendents with the hope of corresponding with other living relatives, and would appreciate any help with that.

          Thank you very much.
          Cile
        • Dawn D. West
          Message 4 of 5 , May 9, 2004
            The only entry I see for Joseph was on page 68:

            "In the Fourth regiment, Col. Baker, were quite a
            number of Macoupin boys. They enlisted in Company B,
            Capt. Elkin, commander at Carlinville, in the early
            part of June, 1846, and the next month, at Alont,w ere
            sworn into the service. Their names were: Fuller
            Smock, Seburn Gilmore, Rush Guy, Lee Graham, Joseph
            Graham, Elijah Pulliam, Wm. Dew, Richard Mathews, John
            Mathews, John Tennis, Marion Wallace (died at Tampico,
            Mexico), Jackson Wallace...", etc.

            Dawn
            Message 5 of 5 , May 9, 2004
              Thanks for your help but I am interested in Joseph Andrews, Sr.; Joseph Andrews, Jr. and Joseph B. Andrews.
              Cile Bradley