Re: [OT] CNC4PC C11 analog out...

  • mickr003v4
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik Olsson"
      <henrik-olsson@...> wrote:

      > Hi guys,
      > Sorry for being a bit off topic but I thought that there's proably
      quite few
      > C11 owners here.
      >
      > I got a board sometime in August but had problems with some of the
      outputs
      > not working (pin1, 16 and 17 didn't work at all and pin14 was acting
      > strange). Arturo sent me a bufferboard (C26) that arrived a few days
      ago and
      > the outputs are now working properly, thanks Arturo!
      >
      > There's still a problem with Pin14 though, it works as a simple on-off
      > output but not really as the Step- and Dir for the analog converter.
      First
      > of all I have to raise the pulsewidth in Mach to 4 or above in order
      for the
      > pulses to get thru, this seems strange since the X- Y- & Z-axis step
      signals
      > gets thru even with pulsewidth set to 0. And, even with pulses getting
      thru
      > I can't seem to get any voltage on the analog output. I've set
      step/unit to
      > 1000 and velocity to 1500 as per the C11 manual and I have 12V
      supplied to
      > the designated terminals.
      >
      > I've emailed CNC4PC but haven't got any response yet so I though
      perhaps
      > some here has had the same trouble and can point me in the right
      direction.

      > TIA
      > /Henrik Olsson.

    • Simon Daykin
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
        Henrik,

        Obviously make sure that you have the Step port and pin set in motor
        outputs.
        I say this because I have spent ages wondering why something wasn't working
        before and I had forgotten to set the port output to 1!
        I have step low active also.
        Then in "spindle setup" don't forget to set "Use spindle motor output" and
        "Step/dir motor"

        I have my steps per set to 1000, my velocity to 1000 and my acceleration to
        500, step pulse to 5

        I get spindle speed affected by rapid moves if the pulse width is less than
        5

        I use a separate dual relay board for the spindle direction and had to set
        it up using oemtriggers to output 1 and 2 for it to activate them just
        enabling the output 1 and 2 did not have them activated by Gcode.

        HTH
        Simon

        > Hi guys,
        > Sorry for being a bit off topic but I thought that there's proably quite
        > few
        > C11 owners here.
        >
        > I got a board sometime in August but had problems with some of the outputs
        > not working (pin1, 16 and 17 didn't work at all and pin14 was acting
        > strange). Arturo sent me a bufferboard (C26) that arrived a few days ago
        > and
        > the outputs are now working properly, thanks Arturo!
        >
        > There's still a problem with Pin14 though, it works as a simple on-off
        > output but not really as the Step- and Dir for the analog converter. First
        > of all I have to raise the pulsewidth in Mach to 4 or above in order for
        > the
        > pulses to get thru, this seems strange since the X- Y- & Z-axis step
        > signals
        > gets thru even with pulsewidth set to 0. And, even with pulses getting
        > thru
        > I can't seem to get any voltage on the analog output. I've set step/unit
        > 1000 and velocity to 1500 as per the C11 manual and I have 12V supplied to
        > the designated terminals.
        >
        > I've emailed CNC4PC but haven't got any response yet so I though perhaps
        > some here has had the same trouble and can point me in the right
        > direction.
        >
        > TIA
        > /Henrik Olsson.

      • Henrik Olsson
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
          Hello,

          As long as the F/V converter IS connected to pin 14 as the docs says I'm
          SURE I have it setup right since I can actually see the pulses on the scope,
          coming out on Pin14 and the LED on the C11 board "dims" up and down as i
          change the spindle speed - no voltage output though.

          I still think it's a bit odd that the pins used for step signals for the
          axis accepts short pulses while the one used for spindle step-pulses
          doesn't. It puts unnecassary stress on the computer raising the pulsewidth
          to 4 or 5 just to get the analog output working. (Which it doesn't even WHEN
          the pulses gets thru.)

          And just to clarify, I'm not bashing on the support from CNC4PC, it's been
          great so far. I'm just trying to figure out what's going on here.

[...]

        • Mark Vaughan
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
            I've got a feeling some of the ports are higher speeds than others on these
            boards.

            Don't have a manual with me, but I am sure I read something on it.

            Regs Mark

            Dr. Mark Vaughan Ph'D., B.Eng. M0VAU

            Managing Director

            Vaughan Industries Ltd., reg in UK no 2561068

            Water Care Technology Ltd, reg in UK no 4129351

            Addr Unit3, Sydney House, Blackwater, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 8HH UK.

            Phone/Fax 44 (0) 1872 561288

            RSGB DRM111 (Cornwall)

            _____

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
              Henrik,

              Like you I have seen similar problems with the C11 board. As others
              have suggested pulse width is crucial to the analog output. I agree
              that it should not be any different then the other step/dir pins.

              Besides changing the pulse width, be sure that your wiring is correct
              and it is shielded properly. Also try posting on the CNC4PC yahoo
              forum. Arturo usually responds quickly to that forum.

              Trevor

            • Steve Blackmore
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
                On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 21:35:32 -0000, you wrote:

                >Like you I have seen similar problems with the C11 board. As others
                >have suggested pulse width is crucial to the analog output. I agree
                >that it should not be any different then the other step/dir pins.
                >
                >Besides changing the pulse width, be sure that your wiring is correct
                >and it is shielded properly. Also try posting on the CNC4PC yahoo
                >forum. Arturo usually responds quickly to that forum.

                The 5us+ pulse width is related to the operational limitation and choice
                of R/C values fitted to the Freq to Analogue voltage converter.
                (LM2907).

                Setting pulse width to 5 or 6 shouldn't cause any other problems, except
                maybe limiting rapid speeds, if that's a problem, up the freq rate in
                Mach. If that's not possible, choices are reduce the microstepping rate,
                or buy a Smoothstepper if you really "need" fast pulse rates.

                Steve Blackmore
                --
              • Peter Homann
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
                  --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "protman16" <protman16@...> wrote:

                  > As others
                  > have suggested pulse width is crucial to the analog output. I agree
                  > that it should not be any different then the other step/dir pins.

                  The energy in the pulse is used in the charge pump of the LM2907
                  component that generates the analogue output voltage. The narrower the
                  pulse, the less energy is put into the charge pump components and the
                  lower the maximum output voltage it can produce. You can increase the
                  pulse width to get a higher maximum output voltage, or change the R/C
                  components in the circuitry. The down side of changing (increasing)
                  the component values is that the response and linearity of the output
                  voltage is affected.

                  On the DC-06 DigiSpeed Step/dir to voltage converter I designed, The
                  R/C components are chosen to provide the best linearity and response
                  for the analogue output voltage. I then conditioned the step pulse
                  input so a to feed a fixed pulse width signal to the charge pump
                  irrespective of the step input pulse width. The fixed width pulse is
                  that is optimal for the R/C components used. That way you can feed the
                  DC-06 with any with step pulse, and chose the appropriate step pulse
                  width required by your stepper/servo drives.

                  Cheers,

                  Peter.
                  ----------------------------------
                  http://www.homanndesigns.com/store
                • Rex Bennett
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
                    It's not a matter of the pulses making it through the BOB. It's because the BOB uses a Frequency to Voltage converting IC. A LM3911 if I remember right. As you found out, Pulse width of 5 or greater is mandatory. I wonder if this is near the threshold of the F/V converter? Not really sure here?

                     I too have noticed that I'll have spindle speed variability if pulse width is less than 5 and the Analog output will deliver less than 10Vdc. My VFD requires a 0-10vdc input to set spindle speed. I've adjusted the Pulses per unit and the Acceleration up from the recommended and Velocity to 1000,1500,2000 which gives me better linearity on my motor speeds.

                  • hts_thai_bk
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
                      Hi,

                      Just to help you out as we all know this can be very fustrating and some
                      of own businesses as well and troubleshooting for days does not pay
                      the bills.

                      Now, I had exactly the same case with my C11.

                      I found 2 IC's, the opto isolators, were not working one of the outputs
                      on each IC was dead. Pin 14 for the analog out put was the same. I
                      could see a waveform on the pin 14 but the output was 0V. After
                      replacing the small 8 pin IC the analog out worked. You can test by
                      swapping the IC's. The one next to the DB25 plug is the same for the
                      Analog Output. (Next to the Analog out put terminals.

                      I also had to increase my kernel speed up to 45,000 to be able to get a
                      full 10 Volt output from the analog output. On 25,000 I could only get
                      4.99 Volts maximum.

                      I guess he ended up with a bad batch of IC's which could happen to
                      anyone.

                      Regards,
                      Brian K

                      olsson@...> wrote:

                      > Hi guys,
                      > Sorry for being a bit off topic but I thought that there's proably quite
                      few
                      > C11 owners here.
                      >
                      > I got a board sometime in August but had problems with some of the
                      outputs
                      > not working (pin1, 16 and 17 didn't work at all and pin14 was acting
                      > strange). Arturo sent me a bufferboard (C26) that arrived a few days
                      ago and
                      > the outputs are now working properly, thanks Arturo!
                      >
                      > There's still a problem with Pin14 though, it works as a simple on-off
                      > output but not really as the Step- and Dir for the analog converter.
                      First
                      > of all I have to raise the pulsewidth in Mach to 4 or above in order for
                      the
                      > pulses to get thru, this seems strange since the X- Y- & Z-axis step
                      signals
                      > gets thru even with pulsewidth set to 0. And, even with pulses getting
                      thru
                      > I can't seem to get any voltage on the analog output. I've set step/unit
                      > 1000 and velocity to 1500 as per the C11 manual and I have 12V
                      supplied to
                      > the designated terminals.
                      >
                      > I've emailed CNC4PC but haven't got any response yet so I though
                      perhaps
                      > some here has had the same trouble and can point me in the right
                      direction.

                      > TIA
                      > /Henrik Olsson.

                    • Ray Livingston
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
                        While we're on this subject, there is one bug in Mach3 that really
                        bugs me - When on the motor tuning page, changing the steps/unit, max
                        speed and accel, *require* hitting the Enter key for the change to
                        take effect. When setting the pulse rate, hitting the Enter key
                        *closes* the dialog, without saving any changes! They really should
                        be all one way, or all the other.

                        Regards,
                        Ray L.

                        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Steve Blackmore <steve@...>
                        wrote:

                        > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 21:35:32 -0000, you wrote:
                        >

                        > >Like you I have seen similar problems with the C11 board. As
                        others
                        > >have suggested pulse width is crucial to the analog output. I
                        agree
                        > >that it should not be any different then the other step/dir pins.
                        > >
                        > >Besides changing the pulse width, be sure that your wiring is
                        correct
                        > >and it is shielded properly. Also try posting on the CNC4PC yahoo
                        > >forum. Arturo usually responds quickly to that forum.
                        >
                        > The 5us+ pulse width is related to the operational limitation and
                        choice
                        > of R/C values fitted to the Freq to Analogue voltage converter.
                        > (LM2907).
                        >
                        > Setting pulse width to 5 or 6 shouldn't cause any other problems,
                        except
                        > maybe limiting rapid speeds, if that's a problem, up the freq rate
                        in
                        > Mach. If that's not possible, choices are reduce the microstepping
                        rate,
                        > or buy a Smoothstepper if you really "need" fast pulse rates.
                        >
                        > Steve Blackmore
                        > --

                      • Peter Homann
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
                          Hi Henrik,

                          I'm not familiar with this BOB, but it may be that the fast optos are only
                          on pins 2-9 that are traditionally used for step/drive. If this is the
                          case the step pulse may not be getting through a slow opto in line 14.

                          cheers,

                          Peter.

                          Henrik Olsson wrote:

                          > Hi guys,
                          > I'm not sure I've expressed myself clearly here.... The C11 has a
                          > female DB25 "output" connector which is supposed to be a "mirror" of
                          > the LPT-port but isolated. When hanging the scope on PIN14 of this
                          > connector I don't get ANY pulses if I don't set the pulsewidth to 4 or
                          > more. So, analog voltage output aside the pulses aren't even reaching
                          > the F/V chip.
                          >
                          > The docs says that the Step and direction lines will handle 250kHz.
                          > Concidering a max dutycycle of 50% that's 2uS wide pulses which is
                          > rougly what I get with Mach set to 0 pulsewidth. The spindle is supposed
                          > to be a step- and direction axis but apperantly it's not the same....
                          >
                          > Anyway....Even when pulses ARE getting thru I get no voltage output. I'm
                          > not saying I can't reach 10V, I'm saying I don't get any output at
                          > all. I don't have a schematic of the board so it's a bit hard guessing
                          > how it's designed. The F/V converter is a LM2907 though.
                          >
                          > I'll take a close look at all the IC's looking for bent legs and what
                          > not.
                          >
                          > Thanks!
                          > /Henrik.

                          http://www.homanndesigns.com
                        • Daniel
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
                            Agreed!! It's caught few times as well...

                            Thanks,
                            Daniel

                            wrote:

                            > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 21:35:32 -0000, you wrote:
                            >

                            > >Like you I have seen similar problems with the C11 board. As
                            others
                            > >have suggested pulse width is crucial to the analog output. I
                            agree
                            > >that it should not be any different then the other step/dir pins.
                            > >
                            > >Besides changing the pulse width, be sure that your wiring is
                            correct
                            > >and it is shielded properly. Also try posting on the CNC4PC yahoo
                            > >forum. Arturo usually responds quickly to that forum.
                            >
                            > The 5us+ pulse width is related to the operational limitation and
                            choice
                            > of R/C values fitted to the Freq to Analogue voltage converter.
                            > (LM2907).
                            >
                            > Setting pulse width to 5 or 6 shouldn't cause any other problems,
                            except
                            > maybe limiting rapid speeds, if that's a problem, up the freq rate
                            in
                            > Mach. If that's not possible, choices are reduce the microstepping
                            rate,
                            > or buy a Smoothstepper if you really "need" fast pulse rates.
                            >
                            > Steve Blackmore
                            > --

                          • Henrik Olsson
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                              Hi guys,
                              I'm not sure I've expressed myself clearly here.... The C11 has a
                              female DB25 "output" connector which is supposed to be a "mirror" of
                              the LPT-port but isolated. When hanging the scope on PIN14 of this
                              connector I don't get ANY pulses if I don't set the pulsewidth to 4 or
                              more. So, analog voltage output aside the pulses aren't even reaching
                              the F/V chip.

                              The docs says that the Step and direction lines will handle 250kHz.
                              Concidering a max dutycycle of 50% that's 2uS wide pulses which is
                              rougly what I get with Mach set to 0 pulsewidth. The spindle is supposed
                              to be a step- and direction axis but apperantly it's not the same....

                              Anyway....Even when pulses ARE getting thru I get no voltage output. I'm
                              not saying I can't reach 10V, I'm saying I don't get any output at
                              all. I don't have a schematic of the board so it's a bit hard guessing
                              how it's designed. The F/V converter is a LM2907 though.

                              I'll take a close look at all the IC's looking for bent legs and what
                              not.

                              Thanks!
                              /Henrik.

                              >It's not a matter of the pulses making it through the BOB. It's because the BOB uses a Frequency to Voltage converting IC. A LM3911 if I remember right. As you found out, Pulse width of 5 or greater is mandatory. I wonder if this is near the threshold of the F/V converter? Not really sure here?
                              >
                              > I too have noticed that I'll have spindle speed variability if pulse width is less than 5 and the Analog output will deliver less than 10Vdc. My VFD requires a 0-10vdc input to set spindle speed. I've adjusted the Pulses per unit and the Acceleration up from the recommended and Velocity to 1000,1500,2000 which gives me better linearity on my motor speeds.

                            • henrikolsson2001
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                                Peter,
                                Yep, that's probably the case.... Analog output still dead though,
                                even when pulses are getting thru. I'll inspect the board carefully
                                and see what I see.

                                Thanks!
                                /Henrik.

                                --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Homann" <groups@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Hi Henrik,
                                >
                                > I'm not familiar with this BOB, but it may be that the fast optos
                                are only
                                > on pins 2-9 that are traditionally used for step/drive. If this is
                                the
                                > case the step pulse may not be getting through a slow opto in line
                                14.

                                > cheers,
                                >
                                > Peter.
                              • Henrik Olsson
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 5, 2008
                                  Hello,
                                  Just a quick follow up on this. I tried changing the polarity of the
                                  step-pulse to active LOW and now I get analog output - even with pulsewidth
                                  set to 0. Acording to Arturo the step-pulse "should" be active high but that
                                  just doesn't work here.... I haven't checked the stability/linearity of the
                                  output yet but atleast I get 0-10V output.

                                  I still don't get any pulses on the output though without raising the
                                  pulsewidth to 4. The step-signal for pin 14 goes thru TWO optocouplers, one
                                  for the isolated 0-10V output and one for the "digital" output. They are
                                  both of the same type as all the others but apparently there's some other
                                  difference in the circuit since I can't see the pulses on the output. But it
                                  doesn't really matter as long as I get analog output.

                                  Thanks!
                                  /Henrik.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 5, 2008
                                    Henrik,

                                    Older versions of the C11 use different optos for different
                                    outputs - some are slow, some are fast. The later ones use fast
                                    optos for all outputs (much better!). You should look at what Rev of
                                    C11 you have, and check with Arturo to figure out what you have,

                                    Regards,
                                    Ray L.