Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Lathe Home Switch position

  • Steve Blackmore
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
      On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 14:33:31 +1000 (EST), you wrote:

      >I looking at putting home/limit switches onto my lathe and am after advice
      >on where to have the home position for the Z-axis? I'm thinking of having
      >it at the opposite end from the chuck, but am wondering if it is better
      >say 2/3rd travel from the chuck, so that the position of the tail-stock is
      >not so critical when homing.

      Got to ask yourself - do I want to go to a home switch?

      Limit switches - fair enough, home switches aren't necessary. If your
      zeroing to the end of the stock (which can vary in position) you only
      need to move far enough to change tools. Moving any further is a waste
      of time.

      Make the Z adjustable - mount it to the tailstock and have it so it
      triggers just before the saddle hits it.

      Steve Blackmore
      --
    • Peter Homann
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
        Steve Blackmore wrote:
        > On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 14:33:31 +1000 (EST), you wrote:
        >

        >>I looking at putting home/limit switches onto my lathe and am after
        >> advice
        >>on where to have the home position for the Z-axis? I'm thinking of having
        >>it at the opposite end from the chuck, but am wondering if it is better
        >>say 2/3rd travel from the chuck, so that the position of the tail-stock
        >> is
        >>not so critical when homing.
        >
        > Got to ask yourself - do I want to go to a home switch?
        >
        > Limit switches - fair enough, home switches aren't necessary. If your
        > zeroing to the end of the stock (which can vary in position) you only
        > need to move far enough to change tools. Moving any further is a waste
        > of time.
        >
        > Make the Z adjustable - mount it to the tailstock and have it so it
        > triggers just before the saddle hits it.
        >
        > Steve Blackmore
        > --

        The home position was for tool changing. I guess that if the toolchange
        position is say at Z=3" then that should be enough to clear the work,
        assuming that the home is at the end of the workpiece. If it tries to move
        off then end of the bed, then as you suggest, the limit switch should
        catch it.

        As for a Z limit at the headstock, it will need to be movable, to cater
        for different chucks, tools etc.

        Seems to me that on a lathe, its more about being careful and knowing what
        your doing than relying on limits.

        Cheers,

        Peter.

        http://www.homanndesigns.com
      • danmauch
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
          What I recommend is to make a mounting plete out of aluminum for the
          home microswitch. Then epoxy the switch plate to a rectangular bar
          magnet. You can then posistion the z home position where you want it.
          If you needs change then you can move the switch to suit. The
          downside is that when cutting stell swarf may congrigate around the
          magnet.

          Dan Mauch
          www.camtronics-cnc.com
          low cost cases for Gecko drive