Re: digitizing plot analysis

  • Terry Parker
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 2008
      The trouble I find is
      > that mach does not do splines or free form curves( can't remember
      the
      > real term for this) and you can end up with a "lot" of small
      > segmented line and arc moves to produce the curves.

      The term I referered to was Mach does not do splines or NURBS. Just
      arcs and lines.

      Depending on HOW defined you need your data to represent your shape
      as to how segmented and accurate Mach can produce it.

      (;-) TP

      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Parker" <vmax@...> wrote:

      > Hi Keith how are you collecting your data? We do something similar
      > using the G31 and run a VARIABLE probing array to probe around an
      > object from either the outside or inside. We can also tune the
      array to
      > point it in certain directions. THis allows us to have MACH collect
      all
      > the data points and have MACH save them to a file.
      >
      > Then I use CAD to conect the dots so to speek. The trouble I find
      is
      > that mach does not do splines or free form curves( can't remember
      the
      > real term for this) and you can end up with a "lot" of small
      > segmented line and arc moves to produce the curves.
      >
      > Another fellow MACHERTEER over on the Mach site developed a creapy
      > crawler approach to gather data that allows mach to probe around an
      > undefined shape and collect data. He also develope a simple
      approach to
      > connecting the dots to create a surface probing routine to help
      > eliminate empty probing over a self defining area.
      >
      > YOu might want to check his approach out there may be something
      there
      > you can use.
      >
      > (;-) TP
      >

      > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Clark" <clarkfamily5@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Now that my encoder is working and I can create an array of x and
      > > points along a curve with Mach, I want to analyze the curve
      created
      > > and break it into its component circular arcs. Anyone have an
      idea of
      > > software that could take this kind of data to draw the curve and
      > > analyze it in this way?
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > > Keith

    • Keith Clark
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2008
        Terry,

        I am doing a .001 move on X and collecting the position on a linear
        encoder probe to an array and then writing to a file with x,y on each
        line. I am hoping this can be imported to a CAD program. I am told
        that Mathcad is excellent at curve fitting. I know that BobCad can do
        the curve smoothing with splines. I am hoping to talk to a tech
        person Monday.

        I am not sure how good the data will be with these small moves on X
        using a stepper motor.

        Thanks,
        Keith

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2008
          Keith,
          You can curve fit and it is not that hard.. it is a bit of an iterative
          process... Because the average rad that you have will change as you add
          the points. So what you need for a formula is an arc from 3 points and
          from that you can see how far off the rad is for each of the previous
          points. I would sett a tolerance of about .01 to say that if it is
          within +/-.01 that it is the same arc and run from there. If you need to
          know how to get an arc from 3 points I did the code for that in the
          teach wizard (the formulas are NASTY but they work).

        • Terry Parker
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2008
            Keith what you ar looking for is a convertion of points into lines
            and arcs. It also needs to have a programable bandwidth to the
            conversion where you can set the tolerance of a line and an arc. That
            way if the points group is inside of the bandwidth it will convert to
            a line or arc, etc.

            I normally use Acad and an addin survey package( youngest son is a
            surveyor) it has that conversion.

            IF I remember there is a cad called Progecad that has a FREE for
            personel use version that can do it, I might be wrong but it is worth
            checking out if $$$ are a concern.

            <clarkfamily5@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > >
            > > > Then I use CAD to conect the dots so to speek. The trouble I
            find
            > > is
            > > > that mach does not do splines or free form curves( can't
            remember
            > > the
            > > > real term for this) and you can end up with a "lot" of small
            > > > segmented line and arc moves to produce the curves.
            > > >
            > > > Another fellow MACHERTEER over on the Mach site developed a
            creapy
            > > > crawler approach to gather data that allows mach to probe
            around an
            > > > undefined shape and collect data. He also develope a simple
            > > approach to
            > > > connecting the dots to create a surface probing routine to help
            > > > eliminate empty probing over a self defining area.
            > > >
            > > > YOu might want to check his approach out there may be something

          • Keith Clark
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2008
              Thanks Brian, I have the idea but would like to look at the formulas
              in the teach wizard. How do I find them?

              Thanks
              Keith

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 2008
                Have a look at the code in the cut arc button on the wizard screen ..
                that will give you what you need..

              • ..
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2008
                  Keith,

                  I think what you have is called a point cloud which is what you also get
                  from

                  laser scanning a part.

                  The same question has been asked on the Meshcan group some time ago

                  as I have had a similar problem in the past I flagged it for future
                  reference

                  If you contact me direct I will search for the info

                  Geoff

                  Now that my encoder is working and I can create an array of x and y