Re: Home Limit Estop Setup

  • danmauch
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
      I ran into a very similar problem with a customer's cnc router. he
      uses the same pins for home and limit switches. You have yours set up
      for normally closed. To get them to work properly you need pullup
      resistors on the pins used for the home and limit switches to work.
      As I recall I installed 2K resistors to each pin and tied the other
      sides of the resistors to +5 from the PC.

      Dan Mauch
      Camtronics Inc
      www.camtronics-cnc.com
      low cost cases for Gecko stepper and sservo systems.
      Assembled and tested units.

      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Barker" <brianb@...>
      wrote:

      > Please have a look on the Diagnostics screen and tell me if you see
      any
      > LED's that are active.
      > Thanks
      > Brian

      They
      > > should
      > >> be working.. Could you tell me a bit more about what is not
      working??
      > > Are
      > >> you getting a Limit error when you are running your machine?
      > >> Thanks
      > >> Brian
      > >
      > > Brian, thanks for the reply.
      > >
      > > On EStop, Home, and Limit I can press and the LED will turn on and
      > > off.
      > >
      > > What's not working:
      > > EStop cannot be engaged at active hi or low, pressing reset will
      only
      > > return "External EStop Requested"
      > >
      > > When "Reference All Home" is pressed, nothing happens. No
      movement on
      > > any axis, even after pressing resume or run.
      > >
      > > Limit switches cannot be engaged at active hi or low, pressing
      reset
      > > will only return "Limit switch triggered"
      > >
      > > Have not really been running machine. I have been able to turn
      off all
      > > switches and run a test program (4inch square) OK.
      > >
      > > Hope this will help you. Thanks, Len

    • lookout4lpe
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
        Brian,

        No, when I turn on the limit/home switches all I get is message that
        a limit is tripped. Then I check the diagnostics screen to see if
        any LEDs are on, and I fine none. Same with the EStop. I turn it
        on, hit reset and get the EStop message, again no LED shows up.

        I continued testing the rest of the setup and ran the roadrunner
        test. Turned out OK. But all the switches were turned off.

        Do you think I should try Dan Mauch's fix? (see message 89823)

        "I ran into a very similar problem with a customer's cnc router. he
        uses the same pins for home and limit switches. You have yours set
        up for normally closed. To get them to work properly you need pullup
        resistors on the pins used for the home and limit switches to work.
        As I recall I installed 2K resistors to each pin and tied the other
        sides of the resistors to +5 from the PC."

        Dan, thanks for recounting your experience. The Hobby CNC
        controller board has a +5 volt point, but I don't know if it is an
        input point or an output point. I don't know where to get +5 volts
        from the computer. Where would it be? Is this the wiring route you
        suggest? +5 volt source ---> 2K resistor ---> Home/Limit/Estop
        switch (NC or NO?)---> selected parallel port pin.

        Thanks, Len

        wrote:

        > Please have a look on the Diagnostics screen and tell me if you
        see any
        > LED's that are active.
        > Thanks
        > Brian
      • danmauch
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
          I was mistakenm. I said a 2.2K resistor and it should have been a 470
          ohm resistor.
          Take a look at page 4.8 of the Using mach3mill manual.
          To see if the board has +5 on it conect a voltmeter red lead to the
          +5 terminal anmd the black lead to logic ground on the board.

          Dan Mauch
          www.camtronicss-cnc.com
          low cost cases for Gecko stepper and servo amps

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "lookout4lpe" <lookout4lpe@...>
          wrote:

          > Brian,
          >
          > No, when I turn on the limit/home switches all I get is message
          that
          > a limit is tripped. Then I check the diagnostics screen to see if
          > any LEDs are on, and I fine none. Same with the EStop. I turn it
          > on, hit reset and get the EStop message, again no LED shows up.
          >
          > I continued testing the rest of the setup and ran the roadrunner
          > test. Turned out OK. But all the switches were turned off.
          >
          > Do you think I should try Dan Mauch's fix? (see message 89823)
          >
          > "I ran into a very similar problem with a customer's cnc router. he
          > uses the same pins for home and limit switches. You have yours set
          > up for normally closed. To get them to work properly you need
          pullup
          > resistors on the pins used for the home and limit switches to
          work.
          > As I recall I installed 2K resistors to each pin and tied the other
          > sides of the resistors to +5 from the PC."
          >
          > Dan, thanks for recounting your experience. The Hobby CNC
          > controller board has a +5 volt point, but I don't know if it is an
          > input point or an output point. I don't know where to get +5 volts
          > from the computer. Where would it be? Is this the wiring route
          you
          > suggest? +5 volt source ---> 2K resistor ---> Home/Limit/Estop
          > switch (NC or NO?)---> selected parallel port pin.
          >
          > Thanks, Len
          >
          > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Barker" <brianb@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Please have a look on the Diagnostics screen and tell me if you
          > see any
          > > LED's that are active.
          > > Thanks
          > > Brian

        • danmauch
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
            No sure if this is a duplicate reponse but I made a mistake the
            resistor should be a 470 ohm reistor. Check out the Using mach3 mill
            manual page 4-8 shows a picture of how to do it.

            Dan Mauch
            WWW.camtronics-cnc.com
            low cost cases for gecko stepper and servo systems

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 3, 2008
              Hi Len,
              Yup... I think that could be the solution :) Nice to have such a good group!

              lookout4lpe wrote:
              > Brian,
              >
              > No, when I turn on the limit/home switches all I get is message that
              > a limit is tripped. Then I check the diagnostics screen to see if
              > any LEDs are on, and I fine none. Same with the EStop. I turn it
              > on, hit reset and get the EStop message, again no LED shows up.
              >
              > I continued testing the rest of the setup and ran the roadrunner
              > test. Turned out OK. But all the switches were turned off.
              >
              > Do you think I should try Dan Mauch's fix? (see message 89823)
              >
              > "I ran into a very similar problem with a customer's cnc router. he
              > uses the same pins for home and limit switches. You have yours set
              > up for normally closed. To get them to work properly you need pullup
              > resistors on the pins used for the home and limit switches to work.
              > As I recall I installed 2K resistors to each pin and tied the other
              > sides of the resistors to +5 from the PC."
              >
              > Dan, thanks for recounting your experience. The Hobby CNC
              > controller board has a +5 volt point, but I don't know if it is an
              > input point or an output point. I don't know where to get +5 volts
              > from the computer. Where would it be? Is this the wiring route you
              > suggest? +5 volt source ---> 2K resistor ---> Home/Limit/Estop
              > switch (NC or NO?)---> selected parallel port pin.
              >
              > Thanks, Len
              >
              > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Barker" <brianb@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              >> Please have a look on the Diagnostics screen and tell me if you
              >>
              > see any
              >
              >> LED's that are active.
              >> Thanks
              >> Brian

            • lookout4lpe
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 6, 2008
                Brian, Resistors are on order, should be in this week. Thanks to you
                and Dan, I should be ready to move forward with safety. I will post
                the results as soon as I complete my tests. Len

                --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Brian Barker <brianb@...> wrote:

                > Hi Len,
                > Yup... I think that could be the solution :) Nice to have such a good
                group!

                > Thanks
                > Brian

              • lookout4lpe
                Message 7 of 11 , May 1, 2008
                  Brian,

                  I have not been successful in getting the estop to work. I did add
                  the resistor and tried several times, but no luck. I also
                  reinstalled Mach3 in case the program had missed a byte. The estop
                  setup placed "Act Low" ON and the diagnosis LED would be blinking,
                  push the estop switch and the LED would go off. At the "Act Low" set
                  to off, the diagnosis LED would be off and start blinking when I
                  pushed the estop switch. Both ways pressing the reset would result
                  in the error "external estop requested". Since I couldn't go
                  further, I set the port to zero to turn the estop switch off. I
                  disconnected the resistor and got the same results.

                  I don't know if this is related, but after I left the estop behind, I
                  set the homing/limits configuration to activate the home switch for
                  each axis. I was able to move the spindle to 0,0,0 and reference all
                  to locate home. I tested the home settings for each axis by moving
                  away from home and then jogging back toward the home setting. The
                  spindle moved to home, slowed at the slow-down zone, and stopped at
                  zero. I then moved the spindle away from home and "ref all home"
                  All the axis were zero but the maching coordinates were set to the
                  new location away from 0,0,0.

                  Finally, I was perplexed that the resistor did not have any effect on
                  the setup. I looked again at the Hobby CNC Driver kit instructions
                  and found the following comment indicating a resistor has already
                  been built into the board. "Pin . . . 10, 11, 12, 13, 15 are pulled
                  up with a 10K resistor and are used for home/limit functions. . . .
                  1, 14, 16, 17 are not pulled up and are available as needed. Our
                  driver board plays no role other than to provide convenient access to
                  these pins."

                  I would really like to get beyond these hangups. I think that I have
                  missed some small point because the switches seem to work. Would
                  appreciate your comments and recommendations. Thanks, Len