Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re: Touch Probes and other ideas needed

  • Les Newell
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 1, 2004
      Hi,

      I have recently started using a probe for edge and centre finding. It is
      based on the 6 ball design in the turboCNC files area. It is pretty easy
      to build and does not need any really accurate machining. With careful
      calibration can be fairly accurate. Mine is accurate to within +/- 1
      thou with repeatability within about +/- 1/2 thou. It will detect
      deflection of the tip in any direction (X,Y or Z).

      My Bridgeport uses quick change tooling so I modified a toolholder and
      fitted a circuit that fires an infra red beam up the hollow spindle when
      the probe is not touching anything. On the top of the spindle is a
      simple detector circuit that is connected to a probe input on Mach2.

      I wrote a few macros for edge finding and centre finding and it is a
      real timesaver. Of course it took longer to build that the time it saves
      but it is still a great toy :-)

      I have not used it for digitising but I can see no reason why it
      shouldn't work.

      Les

      hodarthestrange wrote:
      > Thanks Rob.
      >
      > Art,
      > What probes have worked with mach2? Will the Max NC or Desk CNC ones
      > Work? What wires go to what pins? I looked in the latest manual but
      > the info was limited.
      > Come on guys has someone actually used a probe before? (no jokes)
      >
      > Donny
      >

      > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <rob@s...> wrote:
      >
      >>Donny,
      >>I have 3D modeling experience in several commercial packages. I
      >
      > will help you if you can send me via email, a sketch or print with
      > enough detail. I will even send you the posted G Code if you wish.
      >
      >>Just an offer, I would like to see you make some ca$h and keep the
      >
      > fire burning for CNC.
      >
      >>Regards,
      >>Rob
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • rawen2
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 1, 2004
        I think Art might be talking about one of these:

        http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=605-
        4080&PMPXNO=1645544

        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "hodarthestrange"
        <hodarthestrange@h...> wrote:
        > Opps I even my eys are playing tricks. I thought you said caliper
        not
        > micrometer. Now i'm all confused. Got 3 mics but one is digital and
        2
        > are twist style.
        > Help need pics.
        >
        > Donny
      • rawen2
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 1, 2004
          Second try. How to post long URL's? First time was with word
          wrap "on". This time will try word wrap "off".

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "rawen2" <rawen2@y...> wrote:
          > I think Art might be talking about one of these:
          >
          > http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=605-
          > 4080&PMPXNO=1645544
          >

          > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "hodarthestrange"
          > <hodarthestrange@h...> wrote:
          > > Opps I even my eys are playing tricks. I thought you said caliper
          > not
          > > micrometer. Now i'm all confused. Got 3 mics but one is digital
          and
          > 2
          > > are twist style.
          > > Help need pics.
          > >
          > > Donny
        • Les Newell
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 1, 2004
            If I remember correctly putting < directly before the URL and > after it
            stop it getting broken up.

            rawen2 wrote:

            > Second try. How to post long URL's? First time was with word
            > wrap "on". This time will try word wrap "off".
            >
            > http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=605-
            > 4080&PMPXNO=1645544
            >

            > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "rawen2" <rawen2@y...> wrote:
            >
            >>I think Art might be talking about one of these:
            >>
            >>http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=605-
            >>4080&PMPXNO=1645544
            >>

            >>--- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "hodarthestrange"
            >><hodarthestrange@h...> wrote:
            >>
            >>>Opps I even my eys are playing tricks. I thought you said caliper
            >>
            >>not
            >>
            >>>micrometer. Now i'm all confused. Got 3 mics but one is digital
            >
            > and
            >
            >>2
            >>
            >>>are twist style.
            >>>Help need pics.
            >>>
            >>> Donny
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • rawen2
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 1, 2004
              DOH!!! Go to http://www.use-enco.com
              Search for Enco model number 605-4080. Sorry for using so much
              bandwidth. It's a dial indicator. After all that I hope that's what
              Art was talking about....
              Ralph Wenzl

              > > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "hodarthestrange"
              > > <hodarthestrange@h...> wrote:
              > > > Opps I even my eys are playing tricks. I thought you said
              caliper
              > > not
              > > > micrometer. Now i'm all confused. Got 3 mics but one is digital
              > and
              > > 2
              > > > are twist style.
              > > > Help need pics.
              > > >
              > > > Donny
            • ballendo
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 1, 2004
                Les,

                That's a GREAT idea! Hat's off to ya...

                Would work well for the Sherline/taig crowd if they used the thread
                on spindle endmill holders...

                Thank you for sharing,

                Ballendo

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 1, 2004
                  If anyone else does this I think it is important to have the beam on
                  when the probe is not touching anything. This way you won't rip the end
                  off the probe if the batttery runs flat...

                  If anyone wants a copy of the circuits I used then let me know.

                  Les

                  ballendo wrote:
                  > Les,
                  >
                  > That's a GREAT idea! Hat's off to ya...
                  >
                  > Would work well for the Sherline/taig crowd if they used the thread
                  > on spindle endmill holders...
                  >
                  > Thank you for sharing,
                  >
                  > Ballendo

                • Andy Wander
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 1, 2004
                    My bet is that Art meant what, here in the "lower 48", we call a Dial
                    Indicator-the kind that has a large round dial, and a small shaft coming off
                    of the bottom of the dial, which has a probe running inside. As you push in
                    on the probe, the dial needle moves.

                    If you take an old, busted indicator, and remove everything except the probe
                    and it's return spring, and then mount a small switch inside (in place of
                    the dial movement), so that the probe contacts it when pushed in, then you
                    can mount the whole thing to your spindle, with the probe vertical, and do
                    your digitizing.

                    Andy Wander
                    Verrex Corporation

                    <hodarthestrange@h...> wrote:
                    > Art,
                    > You got my attention.
                    > Do you have a pic or a good description of where and how the micro is
                    > placed into the caliper.

                    > > Donny:
                    > >
                    > > I use an old dial micrometer with a microswitch glued inside so the
                    > shaft

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c9bucdm/M=267637.4673018.5833253.1261774/D=egroup
                    web/S=1705063697:HM/EXP=1080882618/A=1945637/R=0/SIG=11tfh3gpg/*http://www.n
                    etflix.com/Default?mqso=60178397&partid=4673018> click here

                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4673018.5833253.1261774/D=egroupweb
                    /S=:HM/A=1945637/rand=779383909>

                    _____

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • james_cullins@sbcglobal.net
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 1, 2004
                      Try this put it between these guys < > as below

                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 1, 2004
                        Les
                        I would like to see it. Also interested in you macros.
                        Jim
                        > If anyone else does this I think it is important to have the beam on
                        > when the probe is not touching anything. This way you won't rip the end
                        > off the probe if the batttery runs flat...
                        >
                        > If anyone wants a copy of the circuits I used then let me know.
                        >
                        > Les
                        >
                        > ballendo wrote:
                        > > Les,
                        > >
                        > > That's a GREAT idea! Hat's off to ya...
                        > >
                        > > Would work well for the Sherline/taig crowd if they used the thread
                        > > on spindle endmill holders...
                        > >
                        > > Thank you for sharing,
                        > >
                        > > Ballendo
                        > >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Les Newell
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 1, 2004
                          Hi,

                          I have just uploaded circuit diagrams and pictures of my 6 ball touch
                          probe with infra red link to the TurboCNC group files area.

                          It is designed to work with a machine that has quick change tooling and
                          a hollow spindle. The probe fires an infra red beam up the spindle to a
                          fixed sensor. This allows the touch probe to be completely wireless.

                          I am actually using this on Mach2 but I thought it would make sense to
                          keep everything together.

                          I will be putting the Mach2 macros in the Mach2 files area as soon as I
                          get round to copying them off my mill's computer.

                          Les
                        • Les Newell
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 1, 2004
                            Hi,

                            The centre finder macro is now in the files area. This is a slightly
                            tidied up version. My original was not fit for public viewing :-)

                            Les

                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 1, 2004
                              Toochager Macro folder appears to be empty ?
                              Jim
                              > The centre finder macro is now in the files area. This is a slightly
                              > tidied up version. My original was not fit for public viewing :-)

                              Macros/>

                              > Les
                              >
                              > Les Newell wrote:
                              >
                              > > Hi,
                              > >
                              > > I have just uploaded circuit diagrams and pictures of my 6 ball touch
                              > > probe with infra red link to the TurboCNC group files area.

                              %20for%20probe/>

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Hugh Smith
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 1, 2004
                                Could you post them to this group also as I'm not a member of turbocnc and don't wish to be just to view your diagrams.

                                thanks
                                Hugh