Happy New Year .. GoodBye and So long as Head of ArtSoft..

  • Art Fenerty
    Message 1 of 49 , Dec 31, 2007
      Hello Everyone..

      First, let me say Happy New Year.! :)

      Its time for me now to move on as head of Mach3. As you are all aware, Dec 31st is my final day as the head
      developer of ArtSoft. As of Tomorrow, Brian Barker and his Administration Head ( Scott) , will be taking the reins
      of the new ArtSoftUSA which is in full control of Mach3. Development will continue after a short period of stabilization
      and debugging. Give them time and patience for a bit, running ArtSoft is not an easy job, and I tend to leave rather large shoeprints which can be hard to fill. Brain and Scott are very dedicated, and things will progress normally very shortly.

      I have, for the last 6 years, had the time of my life. I've met so many great people, and had consistently good feedback to
      keep me boosted and running that it is all something I will miss. Its an amazing business, a fascinating hobby, and there is no end
      to the directions one can go. It is also a 15 hour a day, 7 day a week job, and has worn me out. I have tried , over the past years,
      to be as hard working as I could, and to me support was always the first priority. I know from experience its not about the
      software itself, its about the support. This hobby ( business) is all about helping the users get running. And the users vary widely in knowledge and background, so support is the part that takes the most from you. There are times in the past few years when
      I felt like screaming, but most of the time its a position where you can feel good about the number of people you've helped.
      Brian and Scott already know of all the conflicting emotional loads and work loads are perfectly positioned to make this
      switchover as seamless as possible.

      You have all been great to me. You've taught me more in 6 years than I could possibly have learned from a engineering
      course in a university. Both my knowledge of CNC and of programming in general has advanced more than I could have hoped.
      I wish I had it in me to rewrite everything, the result would be something to behold with what I now know about programming a
      CNC system. But Mach3 comprises many tens of thousands of lines of code, some new, some old, and all tied tightly together.
      Some bugs remain, ( as with anything as complex as the Mach series), but support recently has shown just how robust everything has become, so I leave with a great deal of satisfaction for a job as well done as I can do.

      As I've said before, I am not dying, or disappearing totally, and Ill still be donating code, plugins and things that people will
      find useful, I have several ideas I wish to work on in the background, undisturbed , so I can concentrate on what Im doing.
      Every industry, at some point, needs fresh perspective, new ideas, and new energy. Brians ( and Scotts) enthusiasm and
      youthful energy will inject new purpose into mach3, and I think in the end you'll all be happy with the result. As I get back my energy, and my life, Im sure Ill be able to inject things as a normal user, that as an owner I simply couldn't do.

      I really cant express how proud I am, that Mach3 actually reached the heights it has. About 12000 registered users worldwide,
      and support at numbers that don't seem to show that vast of a users base. Its truly a success on a scale I never imagined. Brian
      and Scott have their jobs cut out for them, but Im very sure they will do well and do right by all of you, because in the end, its all about you and your experiences.

      At this point, I intend to become a little like a Bill Clinton ( or maybe Bob Dole if your of that ilk) , a roving ambassador for Mach3, sometimes in the news, mostly not. :)

      You'll see me in the group, and on the forums periodically, and from time to time Ill release something that helps everyone out,
      but Brian will be the final arbiter of any decisions that occur and any direction Mach3 goes. If you want something, talk to him, work on him, and provide him with the level of support you have provided me over the years. I think you'll find he's as close to an "Art" as you will find anywhere. We "Art's" are a rare species, and not commonly found in general circulation. :) . Only those having run
      a project like Mach3 will understand that line. :).. LOL..

      I've watched a great many of you go from "I really don't know anything.." to " Why is it when my g81 is complete, the retract doesn't seem to align with the G99?" , which is a stunning personal growth for many people. It was the main source of my pride in development. Education is the greatest gift one can give, and I like to think I've returned what was given to me by all of you.

      So to all of you, both new an old, thank you for your support. Thank you for the education and helping me live my dreams.
      I owe you all a debt of gratitude, and as I move on to do things that I've put on hold these past 6 years, Ill constantly think of you,
      and the projects you do. Ill watch from the sidelines, and advise where I can. To those hardy old guys that have been with me for the entire 6 years ( you know who you are. :) ), stick around, keep the young whippersnappers honest. Keep the flow going,
      and the software building. To John Prentice in particular, my highest praise. Without John to keep ME honest, and to do the
      almost impossible job of testing and developing the documentation that has helped literally thousands of people , it would all
      have been impossible. John is a rare talent, and his dedication to Mach3 exceeded the levels I could have hoped for. Finding
      John was one of the most important things I did in the development of Mach3.

      Thanks too, to Jason, for his flash work and development. And for sure Benny, without whom the web group would never
      have been born. Benny was allot more important than many ever knew, his input to Mach3 hugely successful, and though
      he officially dropped out from full time Mach work near a year ago, he, ( like my intent) , never fully left and can still be found
      flitting about making things like Christmas Web page banners. :) . If Im sure of anything, its that those people will continue
      to innovate, create and help others on their roads to their end objectives. Its the type of people they are.

      Sorry for being so long in the tooth on this letter, I really just intended to thank all of you, I know I've missed some, there
      is no way I could mention all of you personally, there's way too many of you. But I think you all get the idea. Without you,
      all of you, it never would have worked out, as it is , I leave with the feeling that we did something big, perhaps larger than
      we know, and perhaps played a part in a larger change in the way the world plays with machines. As I've said many times,
      there is nothing so satisfying as watching a machine run under computer control. I heard it back from thousands of users
      over the years, so there must be some truth to it, there's no way around it, we gearheads, love to watch gears move. :)

      "After his thank you speech, Bilbo put on his curious ring and disappeared before a full house - a real eye opener and perfect exit."

      Thanks,

      Art < Putting on his ring... ahhhhh.. my precious...." " >

      Art@...

    • Dave
      Message 49 of 49 , Jan 2, 2008
        Hi Brian,

        I just happen to have an analog equipped PLC, connected via Modbus to a
        PC running Mach 3.0, just waiting for such a plug-in!

        Obviously an excellent gift choice. (;->)

        I'll try it out and let you know what I find.

        Cole Controls Inc.