Help me caculating step please!

  • devildestiny555
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 5, 2007
      Hey guy, I tries to ask these question in CNCZONE but doesn't seem
      anyone could help me out, let try here.

      My X and Y screw are 16 tooth per inch, so Im assuming the pitch is
      16pitch. My motor is 1'8, so I do believe it 200step per rev, also im
      using the Kitsrus 179 driver (should be running normal step).

      So I get 200*16= 3200 step per inch .... But I set my Unit in Metric,
      so I should be entering in MM instead right?

      So How do I do that, enter in step per cm or 1 mm? First I set
      default and run at 2000 step and it run the roadrunner g-code fine, it
      draw out a 4x4 inches roadrunner. But after entering in 125 step per
      MM, it couldn't even cut it, because it so small???
    • Lee K. White
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 5, 2007
        It sounds like your base units are imperial.

        You will have to set up your units in mm.

        go to your settings page and see what it is set to.

        Thanks.

        Lee K. White
        Premier Pattern Equipment Ltd
        9725 - 60 Ave
        Edmonton. AB
        T6E 0C4
        Ph: 780-430-1549
        Fx: 780-430-1526

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 5, 2007
          simple as this..

          your lead is 16 TPI, the pitch is 25.4 (1 inch) / 16 (TPI)= 1.5875 mm

          so will get a linear movement of 1.5875 for every srew turn.

          if you have a driver wich needs 200 step to complete a turn, then you
          will need 200 steps to move 1.5875. (obviously)

          so your definition on the table is 1.5875/200= 0.007mm.-(for every
          step, you will move 0.007mm)

          sometimes i use 11 TPI, and the linear movement is up to 1000mm a
          minute. on a 3Nm stepper. really slow for positioning..

          hope this may help you out.

          MARCOS

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 5, 2007

            But the system unit is set IN Metric, when I go to Motor Tunning on
            the side of the graph, it said Step per MM.

            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "ink_shit" <ink_shit@...>

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 5, 2007
              INKSHIT,

              I think it is not what you say.

              200 steps per rev.

              1.5875 mm per rev

              = 126 steps per mm.

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 5, 2007
                make sure your G-Code is not changing it back.

                So make sure you are using G21 not G20

                wrote:

                > simple as this..
                >
                > your lead is 16 TPI, the pitch is 25.4 (1 inch) / 16 (TPI)= 1.5875
                mm

                > so will get a linear movement of 1.5875 for every srew turn.
                >
                > if you have a driver wich needs 200 step to complete a turn, then
                you
                > will need 200 steps to move 1.5875. (obviously)
                >
                > so your definition on the table is 1.5875/200= 0.007mm.-(for every
                > step, you will move 0.007mm)
                >
                > sometimes i use 11 TPI, and the linear movement is up to 1000mm a
                > minute. on a 3Nm stepper. really slow for positioning..
                >
                > hope this may help you out.
                >
                > MARCOS
                >

                > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Lee K. White" <lee@> wrote:
                > >
                > > It sounds like your base units are imperial.
                > >
                > > You will have to set up your units in mm.
                > >
                > > go to your settings page and see what it is set to.
                > >

                > > Thanks.
                > >
                > > Lee K. White
                > > Premier Pattern Equipment Ltd
                > > 9725 - 60 Ave
                > > Edmonton. AB
                > > T6E 0C4
                > > Ph: 780-430-1549
                > > Fx: 780-430-1526

              • Art Fenerty
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 5, 2007
                  Hi:

                  Just divide the numbers by 25.4 then, is a system is 5000 steps per inch, then its 5000/25.4 steps per mm. or 196.85

                  wrote:

                  > simple as this..
                  >
                  > your lead is 16 TPI, the pitch is 25.4 (1 inch) / 16 (TPI)= 1.5875
                  mm

                  > so will get a linear movement of 1.5875 for every srew turn.
                  >
                  > if you have a driver wich needs 200 step to complete a turn, then
                  you
                  > will need 200 steps to move 1.5875. (obviously)
                  >
                  > so your definition on the table is 1.5875/200= 0.007mm.-(for every
                  > step, you will move 0.007mm)
                  >
                  > sometimes i use 11 TPI, and the linear movement is up to 1000mm a
                  > minute. on a 3Nm stepper. really slow for positioning..
                  >
                  > hope this may help you out.
                  >
                  > MARCOS
                  >

                  > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Lee K. White" <lee@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > It sounds like your base units are imperial.
                  > >
                  > > You will have to set up your units in mm.
                  > >
                  > > go to your settings page and see what it is set to.
                  > >

                  > > Thanks.
                  > >
                  > > Lee K. White
                  > > Premier Pattern Equipment Ltd
                  > > 9725 - 60 Ave
                  > > Edmonton. AB
                  > > T6E 0C4
                  > > Ph: 780-430-1549
                  > > Fx: 780-430-1526

                • Heimpel, Luis (CT)
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 5, 2007
                    Turn the screw manually for a few complete turns (say 5 or 10) and
                    measure how far it moves the tool (table, etc).

                    The result should allow you to calculate how many mm's you move per turn
                    of the screw. The rest can be easily calculate.

                    I had the same problem. My screws were 10 tpi's but I did know they
                    also had double threads. It took 5 turns (not 10) to advance 1 inch.
                    So 200 steps per revolution x 5 revolutions = 1000 steps to move an
                    inch.

                    Watch for your board setting for steps, 1/2 steps. 1/4 steps, etc. If
                    setting is at 1/4 steps, then number above is 4000 instead of 1000.

                    There is also an option in Mach 3 to set it. You tell software to move
                    1 inch, it moves some distance, you tell Mach3 how much it actually
                    moved, and Mach3 automatically makes the adjustment for you.

                    --- In mach1mach2cnc@ <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 5, 2007
                      yeap, you are right, i got confused in the middle.!!!

                      sorry for that