problem with home and limit switches

  • Nick Fox
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2007
      I have 2 microswitches on the Z-axis set to normally closed. I am
      using the bob campbell breakout board. I connected the top switch to
      ground and signal of the Z-home connector and the bottom to ground and
      signal of the Z-limit connector. The LED next to the connectors are
      lit up. If I press the switches, the LED next to the connector turn off.

      In mach3, I have the switches set to pin 13 in inputs (ports and
      pins). Z++, Z-- and Z home are set to port 1 and pin #13. I able to
      reset without any lights in diagnostics. If I press one of the
      switches, nothing happens except the LED turns off on the bob campbell
      board. Nothing happens in mach3. If I press both switches at the same
      time, then M3 ++ limit and M3 -- limit and M3 Home all turn yellow
      while I'm pressing the switches and then turn back off when I let go
      of the switches.

      So my question is why isn't mach3 doing anything noticeable when I
      press just one of the switches?

      thanks
      Nick
    • art
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5, 2007
        Nick:

        Im not sure. Ask Bob Campbell if he's seen that.. I havent as yet..

        Videos And Support Forums http://www.machsupport.com
        Users Map: http://www.frappr.com/machsupport
[...]

      • Robert Colin Campbell
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5, 2007
          Nick,

          The solution for the normally closed switches is to run them in series to
          one set of screw terminals.

          Robert Colin Campbell
          Bob Campbell Designs
          www.Campbelldesigns.net
          Mach 2/3 breakout boards
          Relay boards
          Spindle Speed boards
          Stepper motors
          Plasma Torch Height control

          > Im not sure. Ask Bob Campbell if he's seen that.. I havent as yet..

          > www.artofcnc.ca
          >
          > Videos And Support Forums http://www.machsupport.com
          > Users Map: http://www.frappr.com/machsupport

        • James Cullins
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 5, 2007
            Nick,
            Wire your switches in series, Home sw normally closed to the gnd
            terminal. The common of Home sw
            wires to the normally closed contact on the Limit switch and the common of
            the Limit back to the signal of the Z axis. Make sure Mach is configured in
            ports & pin ,inputs Zhome and limits are set to Port 1 pin 13 and active
            high.
            To test. monitor diag page and open either switch and you will see the
            indicators on with the switch is open and off when they are closed.
            Jim
            >I have 2 microswitches on the Z-axis set to normally closed. I am
            > using the bob campbell breakout board. I connected the top switch to
            > ground and signal of the Z-home connector and the bottom to ground and
            > signal of the Z-limit connector. The LED next to the connectors are
            > lit up. If I press the switches, the LED next to the connector turn off.
            >
            > In mach3, I have the switches set to pin 13 in inputs (ports and
            > pins). Z++, Z-- and Z home are set to port 1 and pin #13. I able to
            > reset without any lights in diagnostics. If I press one of the
            > switches, nothing happens except the LED turns off on the bob campbell
            > board. Nothing happens in mach3. If I press both switches at the same
            > time, then M3 ++ limit and M3 -- limit and M3 Home all turn yellow
            > while I'm pressing the switches and then turn back off when I let go
            > of the switches.
            >
            > So my question is why isn't mach3 doing anything noticeable when I
            > press just one of the switches?
            >
            > thanks
            > Nick
            >

            > www.machsupport.com - Web site Access
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Nick Fox
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 6, 2007
              Thank you all very much. I now have all 6 switches working on my X3
              mill and the mill homed nicely with mach3.

              Nick