Re: New Machines

  • Arturo E. Duncan
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
      Karl,

      Bengt converted a machine like that. He got all the functions
      working by replaing the driver and using the C11 for the rest of the
      functions.

      http://goto.glocalnet.net/Bengt.CNC.pages5/pictures.htm

      Arturo Duncan
      http://cnc4pc.com
      http://cnc4pc.com/Live_Help.htm
      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "nc_karl" <nc_karl@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the info Art. I'm shopping.
      >
      > Katl
      >

      > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, art <fenerty@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Karl:
      > >
      > > I've never seen a gray Emco lathe before.

      > > Mine in yellow. Why change the motors. I know you like speed, but
      > I'd be
      > > happy to just see
      > > longer that 200 lines of code and 3 axis simultanious moves on
      the mill.

      > faster and
      > these
      > motors,
      > >
      > > Can't I just take the 6 wires coming out of the stepper motors and
      > > hook them to a board like the pmdx and hook that to a parallel
      port
      > > and I'm off?

      > drivers
      But
      > you
      > >
      > > Art
      > >

      > > Karl
      > >
      > > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, art <fenerty@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > HI Karl:
      > > >
      > > > Personaly I left the spindle alone, but converted my emco with a
      > > new pmdx and drivers. Photos are on the web based forum of my
      > conversion.
      > > >

      > > > Thanks,
      > > > Art
      > > > www.artofcnc.ca
      > > >
      > > > Videos And Support Forums http://www.machsupport.com
      > > > Users Map: http://www.frappr.com/machsupport

      I need
      > > > to do. Is it as simple as buying a breakout board, geco drivers
      and
      > > > hooking them up to the current stepper motors. The mill spindle
      motor
      > > > (and I believe the lathe spindle motor) are 95 volt DC motors.
      Is it
      > > > possible and advisable to try and also have these under Mach 3
      > > control?
      > > >
      > > > Karl

    • Arnie Minear
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
        Karl,

        You might want to check out the last edition of Digital Machinist, it
        is a publication by the same folks that do the Home Shop Machinist or
        Machinist Workshop. In it was an article about an EMCO machine that
        was converted to run on Mach3 via the parallel port and all that was
        needed was a little soldering.

        Many of the older machines used TTL logic devices on the drivers that
        can be hooked up directly to your parallel port with out spending
        money on new drivers.

        Arnie
      • nc_karl
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 5, 2007
          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Arnie Minear" <aminear@...> wrote

          Thamks Arnie I will

          > Karl,
          >
          > You might want to check out the last edition of Digital Machinist, it
          > is a publication by the same folks that do the Home Shop Machinist or
          > Machinist Workshop. In it was an article about an EMCO machine that
          > was converted to run on Mach3 via the parallel port and all that was
          > needed was a little soldering.
          >
          > Many of the older machines used TTL logic devices on the drivers that
          > can be hooked up directly to your parallel port with out spending
          > money on new drivers.
          >
          > Arnie

        • nc_karl
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 5, 2007
            Arturo,

            What is a "C11" you referred to? Did Bengt document his conversion
            anywhere on the internet?

            Thanks Karl

            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Arturo E. Duncan" <aduncan@...>
            wrote:

            > Karl,
            >
            > Bengt converted a machine like that. He got all the functions
            > working by replaing the driver and using the C11 for the rest of the
            > functions.
            >
            > http://goto.glocalnet.net/Bengt.CNC.pages5/pictures.htm
            >
            > Arturo Duncan
            > http://cnc4pc.com
            > http://cnc4pc.com/Live_Help.htm
            > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "nc_karl" <nc_karl@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks for the info Art. I'm shopping.
            > >
            > > Katl
            > >

            > > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, art <fenerty@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Karl:
            > > >
            > > > I've never seen a gray Emco lathe before.

            > > > Mine in yellow. Why change the motors. I know you like speed, but
            > > I'd be
            > > > happy to just see
            > > > longer that 200 lines of code and 3 axis simultanious moves on
            > the mill.

            > > faster and
            > with
            > > these
            > > motors,
            > > >
            > > > Can't I just take the 6 wires coming out of the stepper motors and
            > > > hook them to a board like the pmdx and hook that to a parallel
            > port
            > > > and I'm off?

            > > drivers
            > But
            > > you
            > > >
            > > > Art
            > > >

            > > > Karl

            > > > new pmdx and drivers. Photos are on the web based forum of my
            > > conversion.

          • nc_karl
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 6, 2007
              Thanks Arnie

              I subscribed to Digital machinist this morning and they are going
              to start me with that issue issue.

              Karl

              --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Arnie Minear" <aminear@...> wrote:

              > Karl,
              >
              > You might want to check out the last edition of Digital Machinist, it
              > is a publication by the same folks that do the Home Shop Machinist or
              > Machinist Workshop. In it was an article about an EMCO machine that
              > was converted to run on Mach3 via the parallel port and all that was
              > needed was a little soldering.
              >
              > Many of the older machines used TTL logic devices on the drivers that
              > can be hooked up directly to your parallel port with out spending
              > money on new drivers.
              >
              > Arnie

            • Arturo E. Duncan
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 6, 2007
                Karl,

                Here it is: http://cnc4pc.com/Multifunction_CNC_Board.htm

                Thanks,

                Arturo Duncan
                http://cnc4pc.com

                --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "nc_karl" <nc_karl@...> wrote:

                > Arturo,
                >
                > What is a "C11" you referred to? Did Bengt document his
                conversion
                > anywhere on the internet?
                >
                > Thanks Karl
                >

                > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Arturo E. Duncan" <aduncan@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Karl,
                > >
                > > Bengt converted a machine like that. He got all the functions
                > > working by replaing the driver and using the C11 for the rest of
                the
                > > functions.
                > >
                > > http://goto.glocalnet.net/Bengt.CNC.pages5/pictures.htm
                > >
                > > Arturo Duncan
                > > http://cnc4pc.com
                > > http://cnc4pc.com/Live_Help.htm
                > > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "nc_karl" <nc_karl@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Thanks for the info Art. I'm shopping.
                > > >
                > > > Katl

                > > > I'd be
                > > the mill.

                > > > faster and
                > > with
                > > > these
                > > > motors,

                > > port

                > > > drivers
                > > But
                > > > you

                > > > conversion.

              • Mark
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 15, 2007
                  I now have learned that there is something like Brains and macropump that
                  can

                  run many input and output pins. I have a need to control some material
                  handling

                  with pneumatic cylinders. Can the Brains be used to control on and off of
                  up to

                  24 relays in programmed sequences and timing. Also need to count up some

                  input on pins and adjust the relay sequence based on the received count.

                  What hardware or add on card can be used with the Brains capability to

                  have 10 inputs and 24 outputs? Is there a demo or trial program available

                  that can I can play with to see if it will work for my needs?

                  Thanks

                  Mark

                • Art Fenerty
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 15, 2007
                    Hi:

                    I dotn think quite yet. Brains just released 1 day ago, we all need some time to figure them out and devise ways to use them. Id wait a coupel weeks and see where it is.. What you describe is all in theory possible..