Calculating steps per inch using metric screws.

  • stephenmtate
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2007
      I am using Mach 3 and a G100 on a lathe with metric screws. My screw
      is 1 turn per 5 millimeters and I am using G202 drivers. What shoud my
      steps per inch be? 9842.5xxxx? Steps per MM? 400?

      I have been trying it both ways, (in/metric base unit measures) with
      what seem like crazy results.

      Steve T.
    • Jack
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2007
        Howdy,

        I'm new.... I'll be able to tell ya if my calculations are correct
        next week. Here's how I came up with mine?

        1 turn = 5 mm = 200 steps
        so
        5 divided by 200 = .025 mm per step
        1 inch = 25.4 mm
        5 turns = 25 mm so we need .4 mm more
        .4 divided by .025 = 16 more steps
        ok
        5 turns = 1000 steps plus 16 more = 1016 steps
        1016 steps times 10 micro steps = 10,160 steps = 1 inch = 25.4 mm

        Hope this is right and good luck,
        Jack

        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "stephenmtate"
        <stephenmtate@...> wrote:

        > I am using Mach 3 and a G100 on a lathe with metric screws. My screw
        > is 1 turn per 5 millimeters and I am using G202 drivers. What shoud my
        > steps per inch be? 9842.5xxxx? Steps per MM? 400?
        >
        > I have been trying it both ways, (in/metric base unit measures) with
        > what seem like crazy results.
        >
        > Steve T.

      • Lester Caine
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2007
          stephenmtate wrote:
          > I am using Mach 3 and a G100 on a lathe with metric screws. My screw
          > is 1 turn per 5 millimeters and I am using G202 drivers. What shoud my
          > steps per inch be? 9842.5xxxx? Steps per MM? 400?
          >
          > I have been trying it both ways, (in/metric base unit measures) with
          > what seem like crazy results.

          G202 is 10-microstep drive, so with a 200 step motor you need 2000 steps per
          turn, divided by 5mm for one full turn that gives you 400 steps per mm as you
          have said.

          One inch = 25.4mm so 400 * 25.4 = 10160 steps per inch.

          Set the 'units' on setup to inches, and the steps per unit to 10160 and
          everything should be set up for inches. Move an inch and check the results.

          I get problems with the different Taig controllers if the pulse polarity is
          wrong, and you get moves that are out by around 50% so things are obviously
          wrong. If you are only out by a little bit short, then the next step is to
          slow things down and look for the drive simply missing steps.

          --
          Lester Caine - G8HFL
          -----------------------------
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
            On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 04:02:11 -0000, you wrote:

            >I am using Mach 3 and a G100 on a lathe with metric screws. My screw
            >is 1 turn per 5 millimeters and I am using G202 drivers. What shoud my
            >steps per inch be? 9842.5xxxx? Steps per MM? 400?

            Set it up in mm using config/set native units as mm and use 400 steps
            per unit then save and restart Mach. OR use config/native units setup in
            inches at 10160 then save and restart Mach. Once you have done that
            leave native units alone. Use G20 or G21 in the first line of your
            program to set the units for each program. Don't change native units
            without a restart - it may screw up.

            Steve Blackmore