Laser / Solenoid engraving..

  • art
    Message 1 of 33 , Jun 3, 2007
      Hi:

      Does anyone have any information on solenoid impact engraving. I have a plugin written that can do up to 1 million dots per scan line
      but each dot is only about 5us in pulse length, this I thought may work well for Lasers doing scanline engraving at very high speeds,
      as I can calibrate the output to a grey scale level of a photo line by line. The only limit is 1 million pulses per scan line, but at
      1000DPI that would still be 1000" of photo scanline. So I dont think Im real limited there, and I can put out this trigger as fast as
      the X axis can move, so its possible with a laser to do raster imaging at g0 rapid speed. But I really wrote it to play with
      impact solenoids to try engraving photos in Granite tile.

      Does any have any specs on the speed of any solenoids they may have used, or any ideas as to the method of filling the scanline buffer
      with data more appropriate to solenoids vs lasers? The way it works is basically this , a buffer of bits is created, the length of the
      number of steps that the photo will scan in one line. So in a 5000steps/unit system, on a 8 x10" photo, there woudl be a scanline
      of 5000 * 10 or 50,000 bits. Each bit may be set to 1 or 0. that 1 or 0 is put out on the DigTrigger output during the scan of the motor
      as it traverses the X axis. This means acceleration is taken into account and each of the 50,000 bits will correspond to the motor
      position exactly. Now in this example, if the loaded photo is 1024 x 768, then each of the 1024 pixels in the image X will match
      up with 50,000 / 1024 = approx 50 triggers. If the image was 20" , then we'd have about 100 trigger positions per pixel. Question now, is how best to handle the filling of the possible 50,000 trigger points. With a laser I guess I could have it set a trigger to 1 if the image is above a set
      point in density, or a 0 otherwise, that would probably make a laser engrave an image as a binary image. I coudl use the 50 bits per .001 inch
      as a density pattern for example..

      This is a pretty fast method of engraving, and I suspect laser is not too hard, as they can usually be triggered on or off with a binary pulse. But Im
      a bit stumped on how to allow a solenoid time to fire, or to fire it in positions that indicate average density as a pattern. Usually a solenoid is triggered
      that drives a hardened steel point into the granite, its on a spring so it springs back after each impact, by varying the impact timing a very nice photo
      is created, and since it only moves X and Y at rapid speeds, the photos are very very fast to do. I basically can do all of this, except the data fill,
      Im curious if anyone has ideas on the method of binary fill in a buffer from photo density to get an output that is usefull to engravers ... or
      if youve seen this done and have any insights.. or know how I can build such a solenoid or buy one premade.. :)

      Anyway, just one of those R&D jobs I work on in the background, I was curious if anyone actually would use such a thing..

      Videos And Support Forums http://www.machsupport.com
      Users Map: http://www.frappr.com/machsupport

    • art
      Message 33 of 33 , Jun 6, 2007
        Hmm, that is soemthing to think about, it should see the series of pulses and 100 watts is a fair amount of power.
        Thanks for pointing that out.. I hope to have the code finished shortly, Ill release it while I play about, it'll at least
        allow someone else to play in that area as well..