Drilling hardboard

  • Adrian Hill
    Message 1 of 27 , May 2, 2007
      Hi,

      Adrian Hill
      http://www.hillcraft.co.za
      http://www.cnccraft.com
      Cape Town, South Africa
      Tel +27 21 592 7269

      Does anybody know what sort of drill bit one should use to drill 5mm holes
      in hardboard. Normal drill bits tend to flare the wood on the edges and wood
      drill tend to clog too quickly.
    • Andrey Lipavsky
      Message 2 of 27 , May 2, 2007
        Adrian,
        Have you tried spade drill bits? www.mscdirect.com has a variety of small
        sizes and they ship internationally. Do a search on "spade drills" and you
        should come up with what you need.

        Andrey Lipavsky

        Essex Jewelers
        490 E. McMillan St.
        Studio 205
        Cincinnati, OH 45206
        (513) 826-0240
        www.essexjewelers.com

        Does anybody know what sort of drill bit one should use to drill 5mm holes
        in hardboard. Normal drill bits tend to flare the wood on the edges and wood
        drill tend to clog too quickly.

        www.machsupport.com - Web site Access
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • aaron
        Message 3 of 27 , May 2, 2007
          Single flute end mill with high helix, or a burr mill used in pcb milling
          should stop that

          Or try a spot drill - high speed and low feed

          _____

          Does anybody know what sort of drill bit one should use to drill 5mm holes
          in hardboard. Normal drill bits tend to flare the wood on the edges and wood
          drill tend to clog too quickly.

        • ynneb
          Message 4 of 27 , May 2, 2007
            Try reading this section
            http://www.artsoftcontrols.com/forum/index.php?board=36.0
            Send Zealous ( Jason) a private message if you need help, or just ask what you need on that forum.

            Message 5 of 27 , May 2, 2007
              --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Adrian Hill" <adrian_hill@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > Adrian Hill
              > http://www.hillcraft.co.za
              > http://www.cnccraft.com
              > Cape Town, South Africa
              > Tel +27 21 592 7269
              >
              > Does anybody know what sort of drill bit one should use to drill
              5mm holes
              > in hardboard. Normal drill bits tend to flare the wood on the edges
              and wood
              > drill tend to clog too quickly.

              Your best bet is probably a 'lip and spur' bit it's like a mini
              Forstner. The spur locates the bit then the lips scribe the circle
              before the hole is drilled out. It looks like a normal drill bit
              ground with the cutting edges sloping in to the middle (opposite to a
              normal bit) and a point in the centre.

              Chris

              www.christopher-wyn-brown.co.uk
            • MZ2000
              Message 6 of 27 , May 2, 2007
                Hi Ynneb
                I already followed that forum discussion but the last message ended
                the 5th february and I couldn't find anything else.
                I have some problem making the screen .....
                Anyway if you can give me Jason email it would be great.
                Thanks for answer Mario

              • Marty7001@aol.com
                Message 7 of 27 , May 2, 2007
                  I have used downward spiral end mills to do this with. It gives a clean edge.

                  Marty

                • ballendo
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 3, 2007
                    Hello,

                    You've already gotten some good replies.

                    The 5mm endmills are IMO really the best way to go if you have the
                    spindle speed. Be sure they are center cutting type.

                    As for using drill bits...

                    First is to be sure that whatever bit you're using is SHARP.

                    I've had good luck with stub length, 135° split point bits (screw
                    machine bits). These will IME drill more cleanly than most in a
                    variety of materials.

                    Next, have a look at the drillbit hand sharpening method shown in
                    The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking, By James Krenov. This is a way to get
                    the "spade" or "center and spur" type drill that a couple others
                    mentioned in sizes that you otherwise cannot purchase. It's not hard
                    to get good at doing this and it expands your drilling performance
                    in wood items substantially.

                    Hope this helps,

                    Ballendo