Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Turn Threading Wizard in R2.0.017

  • Steve Blackmore
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006
      On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 19:22:06 -0400, you wrote:

      > Curious.. OK, Ive retracted it for next versions. When I have verified that the old one works as expected, well look at that G53 issue again.. (I should know better than to play in Turn when Im not really in there in depth.. , my appologies for that bit.., I just cant see how the G53 removal did that.. but then you never know, I must have 100 various versions around here of those macros. Ive reversed it to the one that was originally locked in the 2.0 two months ago, that should cure it, its date goes back to July 2005 as being unchanged..

      Yea - I've a lot of macros and various folders that have been created
      under Mach3/ over the years. It's 175Mb without the Gcode folder!
      There's lots of various files with same names if different places, and
      I'm not wholly sure which macro's from which subdir are currently in
      use. Some directory structures with same folder names have been created
      nested over time.

      Will let you know what happens with next one.

      Steve Blackmore
      --
    • art
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006
        Hi Steve:

        >>Yea - I've a lot of macros and various folders that have been created
        under Mach3/ over the years. It's 175Mb without the Gcode folder!

        Actually , weve tried paring it down quite often, theres very little duplication in it. Almost every file is used in one configuration or another. Seems no matter how I try to pare it down though, it does seem, to grow...

        Videos And Support Forums http://www.machsupport.com
        Users Map: http://www.frappr.com/machsupport
        On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 19:22:06 -0400, you wrote:

        > Curious.. OK, Ive retracted it for next versions. When I have verified that the old one works as expected, well look at that G53 issue again.. (I should know better than to play in Turn when Im not really in there in depth.. , my appologies for that bit.., I just cant see how the G53 removal did that.. but then you never know, I must have 100 various versions around here of those macros. Ive reversed it to the one that was originally locked in the 2.0 two months ago, that should cure it, its date goes back to July 2005 as being unchanged..

        Yea - I've a lot of macros and various folders that have been created
        under Mach3/ over the years. It's 175Mb without the Gcode folder!
        There's lots of various files with same names if different places, and
        I'm not wholly sure which macro's from which subdir are currently in
        use. Some directory structures with same folder names have been created
        nested over time.

        Will let you know what happens with next one.

        Steve Blackmore

      • John Dammeyer
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006
          Hi,

          I'm a bit puzzled by the 29 degree entry angle for CNC work. I can
          understand that manually, the angle is set to 29 to 29.5 degrees because
          it's difficult to get the compound exactly at 30 degrees. Better to err on
          the smaller side of the angle.

          But CNC doesn't use the compound. Instead it used trig to determine how
          much to move X and how much to move Z to move the tool down the slope of the
          30 degree angle so it's exact.

          Given that it's still critically important to get the tool bit perpendicular
          to the axis so that the other side of the thread slope is also 30 why set
          the in angle at 29?

          John Dammeyer

          Wireless CAN with the CANRF module now available.
          http://www.autoartisans.com/products
          Automation Artisans Inc.
          Ph. 1 250 544 4950

        • Andy Wander
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
            John:

            The theory, as I understand it, is that the "trailing" flank of the will
            not contact the work at all if the angle is slightly less than 30
            degrees. That way, only the leading flank cuts, and the trailing flank
            will not rub along the trailing flank, as it would if the feed angle was
            exactly 30 degrees.

            ______________________________________
            Andy Wander

            I'm a bit puzzled by the 29 degree entry angle for CNC work. I can
            understand that manually, the angle is set to 29 to 29.5 degrees because
            it's difficult to get the compound exactly at 30 degrees. Better to err
            on
            the smaller side of the angle.

            But CNC doesn't use the compound. Instead it used trig to determine how
            much to move X and how much to move Z to move the tool down the slope of
            the
            30 degree angle so it's exact.

            Given that it's still critically important to get the tool bit
            perpendicular
            to the axis so that the other side of the thread slope is also 30 why
            set
            the in angle at 29?

            John Dammeyer

            Wireless CAN with the CANRF module now available.
            http://www.autoartisans.com/products
            Automation Artisans Inc.
            Ph. 1 250 544 4950

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            This communication including any attachments, are intended
            for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and contains
            confidential or copyrighted materials. Duplication,
            distribution or reproduction is strictly prohibited by law
            without written permission of Verrex
          • Steve Blackmore
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
              On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 08:25:07 -0800, you wrote:

              >I'm a bit puzzled by the 29 degree entry angle for CNC work.

              >Given that it's still critically important to get the tool bit perpendicular
              >to the axis so that the other side of the thread slope is also 30 why set
              >the in angle at 29?

              Simply to stop the tool flank rubbing, improves the cut and decreases
              tool wear.

              Steve Blackmore
              --
            • Donald Hansen
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 3, 2006
                I was taught (40 years ago) that the purpose of using 29 or 29 1/2
                degrees was to cause the trailing flank to cut the step marks out of
                the trailing side of the thread providing a smooth thread flank on
                both sides of the thread.