Re: Jog feedrate DRO

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
      One more thing with the jog feature, sometimes the jog key "sticks"
      and the axis continues jogging. I have changed the keys used to jog
      with the same results, and used a USB programmable keypad with the
      same results. This one has me worried, as it would make my machine
      unsafe.

      Steve
    • Art
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
        Hi Steve:

        >>The machine I use at work jogs slow
        for about 1/2 sec. then accellerates to max jog speed.

        I kinda like this one .. Let me "G04 dwell" on it a bit...

      • Art
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
          Steve:

          This means Windows is losing messages. Thisis usually a sign of application
          interferance where another app grabs a message. Does it do this will all
          other apps stopped?
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
            Hi,

            I've been trying to reproduce the "sticky key" thing with my USB
            keypad, and can't do it, maybe I was mistaken about it happening
            there. It still happens on my regular keyboard, regardless of which
            key I use for jogging, but it's a wireless keyboard, I changed the
            batteries, that didn't work. I'll try a regular wired keyboard
            tomorrow. I am confident using the keypad will be safe, and that is
            what will be at the machine. I still haven't figured out the DRO
            thing, but I worked around it in a macro that cycles through 3 jog
            rates. I have to enter the rates in the macro instead of through a
            DRO, but that's just as easy as entering them in a configuration
            screen. A DRO to display the IPM jog rate would be nice, but as they
            are somewhat static, I could just put the values in the labels next
            to the LEDs rather than the words Slow Medium and Fast.
            I'm getting more impressed with this software everyday, it looks
            like there is very little it won't do if I take the time to figure
            things out.
            Here's the macro I wrote for anyone interested:

            Rem Jog Rate setting macro

            MotorVelocityIPS = 5 'Get value from
            Motor Tuning configuration
            FastJogIPM = 100 'Desired fast jog
            rate
            MedJogIPM = 40 'Desired medium jog
            rate
            SlowJogIPM = 5 'Desired slow jog
            rate
            SlowJogPctOEMDRO = 3 'Slow Jog % DRO
            OEMcode
            FastLED = 1000
            MedLED = 1001
            SlowLED = 1002

            MaxRateIPM = 60 * MotorVelocityIPS 'Convert to IPM
            FastJogPct = FastJogIPM / MaxRateIPM * 100 'Convert to percent
            MedJogPct = MedJogIPM / MaxRateIPM * 100 'Convert to percent
            SlowJogPct = SlowJogIPM / MaxRateIPM * 100 'Convert to percent
            CurrentPctRate = GetOEMDRO (SlowJogPctOEMDRO)

            Select Case CurrentPctRate
            Case SlowJogPct 'If slow
            change to medium
            Call SetUserLED (SlowLED, 0) 'Turn off
            SlowLED
            Call SetOEMDRO (SlowJogPctOEMDRO, MedJogPct) 'Set Slow
            Jog % to MedJogPct
            Call SetUserLED (MedLED, 1) 'Turn on
            MedLED
            Case MedJogPct 'If medium
            change to fast
            Call SetUserLED (MedLED, 0)
            Call SetOEMDRO (SlowJogPctOEMDRO, FastJogPct)
            Call SetUserLED (FastLED, 1)
            Case Else 'Else change
            to slow
            Call SetUserLED (FastLED, 0)
            Call SetOEMDRO (SlowJogPctOEMDRO, SlowJogPct)
            Call SetUserLED (SlowLED, 1)
            End Select

            It works like a charm for me, I hope someone else out there can
            use it too, and maybe share something they have worked out.

            Steve
          • Vesa T. Korhonen
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
              --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <steveald@y...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > I've been trying to reproduce the "sticky key" thing with my USB
              > keypad, and can't do it, maybe I was mistaken about it happening
              > there. It still happens on my regular keyboard, regardless of which
              > key I use for jogging, but it's a wireless keyboard, I changed the
              > batteries, that didn't work. I'll try a regular wired keyboard
              > tomorrow.

              Steve,

              With a wireless keyboard you may sometimes get into some problems
              with a thing called RF interference, as the wireless keyboard also
              uses RF (radio waves) to communicate with the computer. If there is
              enough electrical or RF noise available, some of the keyboard
              commands might easily get lost. For example arc welding can create
              some bad RF interference, and a plasma cutter is one of the most
              efficient wide-band RF noise generators you can think of. Also some
              cellular phones (especially GSM) can create some weird noise effects
              with the nearby electronic devices when the phone communicates with
              the base station every now and then.

              But then, I'm an RF engineer and sometimes it happens that the more
              you know about something, the more paranoid you may get about it... :)

              Cheers,

              Vesa
            • Steve
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
                Hi Vesa,

                Thanks for the tip, I thought it might just be weak batteries, but
                it's not. Not a problem though, this computer isn't the one that
                will be running my machine. I'm working on a control centre,
                somewhat larger than a pendant, but still portable. It will be
                connected to the PC via the dismembered entrails of a USB
                programmable keypad and various switches and buttons.

                Steve
              • Servo Wizard

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
                    Steve,

                    Servo is right on the beam on this. I use an xkeys keyboard for a pendant
                    control. I had programmed the unit to have a momentary layer control key. I
                    then programmed a green layer key for jog rate jog and the red layer key as
                    the shift jog for rapid. The problem with the scheme is if you press the
                    layer key and the rapid jog function and release the layer key before
                    releasing the jog function the rapid stays persistent as key pad has not
                    processed the release function for that key. I have spoken to tech support
                    on the product to see if they can put some code into the unit to clear and
                    functions on a layer change, for now I just set the layer control key up as
                    a toggle which forces the operator to press it again to get to the normal
                    functions. This is a slight pain but the keys are kept from being sticky.
                    HTH

                    Best,

                    Ed Gilbert

                    Gilbert Engineered Systems
                    632 Warrenton-Embro Road
                    Macon, NC 27551
                    252-257-0539

                  • Steve
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
                      Hi Servo,

                      I think my wireless keyboard might have some power saving mode that
                      kicks in real fast, I know the mouse acts like that, sometimes it
                      takes two clicks to get one to the PC. Another thought is maybe the
                      auto-repeat function of the key is sending a KeyDown at the precise
                      moment I release the key, masking the KeyUp. The USB keypad I have
                      allows me to record seperate macros for down and up, and turn auto-
                      repeat off or on for each switch or button, so I have complete
                      control using it. When I get up and running, the Mach2 PC won't have
                      a mouse or regular keyboard connected except when I am doing
                      maintenance on the software. Everything will be controlled via a
                      control box and USB keypad/emulator, with a LCD for visual feedback.
                      Hopefully it will be bullet-proof, as the power and flexibility of
                      Mach2 can be dangerous in the hands of someone who knows just enough
                      to screw everything up (admittedly, I am just starting to get past
                      that stage myself)

                      Steve

                      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Servo Wizard
                      <servowizard@y...> wrote:
                      > Steve,
                      >
                      > Velocity jogging is turned on by the KeyDown event and cancelled
                      by the KeyUp event. In other words if you were to press the key that
                      activates velocity jogging and then unplug the keyboard before
                      releasing the keypress then velocity jogging would run until an
                      overtravel detection switch was made.

                      > Servo

                    • Steve
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
                        Hi Ed,

                        I am also using an XKeys, and a 4 way microswitch type joystick (not
                        a gameport type). I de-soldered one row of switches on the XKeys and
                        connected the joystick switches to the XKeys board. I don't use the
                        shift feature in Mach2 to jog fast, I have a macro that allows me to
                        cycle through jog speeds with one button on the XKeys. I have the
                        four keys the joystick is connected to programmed identically on
                        both the red and green layer, so KeyDown - LayerShift - KeyUp
                        behaves the same as KeyDown - KeyUp and I don't have to concern
                        myself with the layer I am in. I enable/disable the joystick via a
                        keypad key mapped to Mach2 Encoder Jog Toggle (OEMcode 174) with no
                        encoder, so the joystick is effectively disabled while in encoder
                        jog mode. The macro I wrote might be of use to you, it allows you to
                        define 3 jog speeds in IPM rather than percent and cycle between
                        them. Also, recording the jog key in XKeys, deleting the UP event,
                        then clicking on release, recording the same key but deleting the
                        DOWN event, unchecking the auto-repeat box and doing the same on
                        both green and red layers will get you past the sticky key problem
                        as well. (If I am understanding your message correctly)
                        I really like the XKeys, they are much better than the IPAC board
                        (I have one of those as well, but it's not flexible enough IMO)

                        Steve

                        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Gilbert" <co2man@n...>
                        wrote:
                        > Steve,
                        >
                        > Servo is right on the beam on this. I use an xkeys keyboard for a
                        pendant
                        > control. I had programmed the unit to have a momentary layer
                        control key. I
                        > then programmed a green layer key for jog rate jog and the red
                        layer key as
                        > the shift jog for rapid. The problem with the scheme is if you
                        press the
                        > layer key and the rapid jog function and release the layer key
                        before
                        > releasing the jog function the rapid stays persistent as key pad
                        has not
                        > processed the release function for that key. I have spoken to tech
                        support
                        > on the product to see if they can put some code into the unit to
                        clear and
                        > functions on a layer change, for now I just set the layer control
                        key up as
                        > a toggle which forces the operator to press it again to get to the
                        normal
                        > functions. This is a slight pain but the keys are kept from being
                        sticky.
                        > HTH
                        >

                        > Best,
                        >
                        > Ed Gilbert
                        >
                        > Gilbert Engineered Systems
                        > 632 Warrenton-Embro Road
                        > Macon, NC 27551
                        > 252-257-0539

                        Service.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
                          Hi Steve,

                          I did exactly what you did and if you release the momentary layer control
                          key before releasing the shifted function key the shift up function is not
                          processed and it leaves the shift code on in micromanager. Tim at tech
                          support is trying to get the programmers to come up with a fix for this.
                          Nice macro by the way!

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
                            Hi Ed,

                            I can't get my XKeys to behave as you describe, mine work
                            flawlessly. Maybe you have a different version of the firmware on
                            yours. Mine is 20 key desktop model X-KEY20 Ver 2.1 (silkscreened on
                            the pcb) with a sticker on the microprocessor PI ENG XKSTUS41
                            S820796. The software is X-Keys Macro Manager 1.0.3.0 Copyright 2003.
                            X-Keys SE on the back sticker. Are you using a different model?
                            Maybe this info will help the tech-support guys. I have removed the
                            bottom row of switches to be able to connect a 4-way microswitch
                            type joystick, but I can't see that making any difference.

                            Good luck with it, they are great little units IMO.

                            Steve
                          • Digital audio Pro
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
                              Same problem in keygrabber actually but should be corrected soon. I do the
                              same thing, i use a modifier key who change his function according to the
                              layer we are. (modifier step jog mode / feedrate override).

                              Olivier.

                            • Steve
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
                                Hi Ed,
                                I managed to reproduce the error you are talking about, but I have
                                come up with a solution that works. Release the shift from both
                                layers, but only engage it from one.
                                Try this:

                                Green Layer Jog Right = RightArrow[Down]

                                Green Layer Jog Right release = RightArrow[Up]
                                RightShift[Up]

                                Red Layer Jog Right = RightShift[Down]
                                RightArrow[Down]

                                Red Layer Jog Right release = RightArrow[Up]
                                RightShift[Up]

                                This will release the shift from either layer, no effect if it isn't
                                already down, and it will engage the shift from only the red layer.

                                Let me know if it works for you, it works for me, so now I can have
                                my macro with 3 jog speeds, AND a max jog. I'm on a roll here, got
                                to go code more macros :)

                                wrote:
                                > Hi Steve,
                                >
                                > I did exactly what you did and if you release the momentary layer
                                control
                                > key before releasing the shifted function key the shift up
                                function is not
                                > processed and it leaves the shift code on in micromanager. Tim at
                                tech
                                > support is trying to get the programmers to come up with a fix for
                                this.
                                > Nice macro by the way!
                                >

                                > Best,
                                >
                                > Ed Gilbert