Jog feedrate DRO

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 31, 2004
      Hi,

      Is there an OEM DRO to display and set the fast and slow jog rates
      in IPM, I don't want my fast jog to be even close to my rapid (G0)
      speed. The Jog Feedrate DRO displays 0.0 for me and trying to change
      the value does nothing but change back to 0.0 and require me to
      press Esc before being able to jog again. Independent jog speed
      parameters for Z would be nice. The machine I use at work jogs slow
      for about 1/2 sec. then accellerates to max jog speed. This would
      eliminate the need to set jog speed at the control (for me anyway).
      Also the shift to override jog rate feature confuses me a bit, in
      continuous mode it makes sense, shifting jogs faster, but in
      incremental mode shifting jogs slow but ignores the jog increment
      value. Is there a way to jog fast in incremental mode, or have the
      shift key do nothing rather than overriding the increment.

      Thanks,

      Steve
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
        One more thing with the jog feature, sometimes the jog key "sticks"
        and the axis continues jogging. I have changed the keys used to jog
        with the same results, and used a USB programmable keypad with the
        same results. This one has me worried, as it would make my machine
        unsafe.

        Steve
      • Art
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
          Hi Steve:

          >>The machine I use at work jogs slow
          for about 1/2 sec. then accellerates to max jog speed.

          I kinda like this one .. Let me "G04 dwell" on it a bit...

        • Art
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
            Steve:

            This means Windows is losing messages. Thisis usually a sign of application
            interferance where another app grabs a message. Does it do this will all
            other apps stopped?
          • Steve
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
              Hi,

              I've been trying to reproduce the "sticky key" thing with my USB
              keypad, and can't do it, maybe I was mistaken about it happening
              there. It still happens on my regular keyboard, regardless of which
              key I use for jogging, but it's a wireless keyboard, I changed the
              batteries, that didn't work. I'll try a regular wired keyboard
              tomorrow. I am confident using the keypad will be safe, and that is
              what will be at the machine. I still haven't figured out the DRO
              thing, but I worked around it in a macro that cycles through 3 jog
              rates. I have to enter the rates in the macro instead of through a
              DRO, but that's just as easy as entering them in a configuration
              screen. A DRO to display the IPM jog rate would be nice, but as they
              are somewhat static, I could just put the values in the labels next
              to the LEDs rather than the words Slow Medium and Fast.
              I'm getting more impressed with this software everyday, it looks
              like there is very little it won't do if I take the time to figure
              things out.
              Here's the macro I wrote for anyone interested:

              Rem Jog Rate setting macro

              MotorVelocityIPS = 5 'Get value from
              Motor Tuning configuration
              FastJogIPM = 100 'Desired fast jog
              rate
              MedJogIPM = 40 'Desired medium jog
              rate
              SlowJogIPM = 5 'Desired slow jog
              rate
              SlowJogPctOEMDRO = 3 'Slow Jog % DRO
              OEMcode
              FastLED = 1000
              MedLED = 1001
              SlowLED = 1002

              MaxRateIPM = 60 * MotorVelocityIPS 'Convert to IPM
              FastJogPct = FastJogIPM / MaxRateIPM * 100 'Convert to percent
              MedJogPct = MedJogIPM / MaxRateIPM * 100 'Convert to percent
              SlowJogPct = SlowJogIPM / MaxRateIPM * 100 'Convert to percent
              CurrentPctRate = GetOEMDRO (SlowJogPctOEMDRO)

              Select Case CurrentPctRate
              Case SlowJogPct 'If slow
              change to medium
              Call SetUserLED (SlowLED, 0) 'Turn off
              SlowLED
              Call SetOEMDRO (SlowJogPctOEMDRO, MedJogPct) 'Set Slow
              Jog % to MedJogPct
              Call SetUserLED (MedLED, 1) 'Turn on
              MedLED
              Case MedJogPct 'If medium
              change to fast
              Call SetUserLED (MedLED, 0)
              Call SetOEMDRO (SlowJogPctOEMDRO, FastJogPct)
              Call SetUserLED (FastLED, 1)
              Case Else 'Else change
              to slow
              Call SetUserLED (FastLED, 0)
              Call SetOEMDRO (SlowJogPctOEMDRO, SlowJogPct)
              Call SetUserLED (SlowLED, 1)
              End Select

              It works like a charm for me, I hope someone else out there can
              use it too, and maybe share something they have worked out.

              Steve
            • Vesa T. Korhonen
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
                --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <steveald@y...> wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                > I've been trying to reproduce the "sticky key" thing with my USB
                > keypad, and can't do it, maybe I was mistaken about it happening
                > there. It still happens on my regular keyboard, regardless of which
                > key I use for jogging, but it's a wireless keyboard, I changed the
                > batteries, that didn't work. I'll try a regular wired keyboard
                > tomorrow.

                Steve,

                With a wireless keyboard you may sometimes get into some problems
                with a thing called RF interference, as the wireless keyboard also
                uses RF (radio waves) to communicate with the computer. If there is
                enough electrical or RF noise available, some of the keyboard
                commands might easily get lost. For example arc welding can create
                some bad RF interference, and a plasma cutter is one of the most
                efficient wide-band RF noise generators you can think of. Also some
                cellular phones (especially GSM) can create some weird noise effects
                with the nearby electronic devices when the phone communicates with
                the base station every now and then.

                But then, I'm an RF engineer and sometimes it happens that the more
                you know about something, the more paranoid you may get about it... :)

                Cheers,

                Vesa
              • Steve
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
                  Hi Vesa,

                  Thanks for the tip, I thought it might just be weak batteries, but
                  it's not. Not a problem though, this computer isn't the one that
                  will be running my machine. I'm working on a control centre,
                  somewhat larger than a pendant, but still portable. It will be
                  connected to the PC via the dismembered entrails of a USB
                  programmable keypad and various switches and buttons.

                  Steve
                • Servo Wizard

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
                      Steve,

                      Servo is right on the beam on this. I use an xkeys keyboard for a pendant
                      control. I had programmed the unit to have a momentary layer control key. I
                      then programmed a green layer key for jog rate jog and the red layer key as
                      the shift jog for rapid. The problem with the scheme is if you press the
                      layer key and the rapid jog function and release the layer key before
                      releasing the jog function the rapid stays persistent as key pad has not
                      processed the release function for that key. I have spoken to tech support
                      on the product to see if they can put some code into the unit to clear and
                      functions on a layer change, for now I just set the layer control key up as
                      a toggle which forces the operator to press it again to get to the normal
                      functions. This is a slight pain but the keys are kept from being sticky.
                      HTH

                      Best,

                      Ed Gilbert

                      Gilbert Engineered Systems
                      632 Warrenton-Embro Road
                      Macon, NC 27551
                      252-257-0539

                    • Steve
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
                        Hi Servo,

                        I think my wireless keyboard might have some power saving mode that
                        kicks in real fast, I know the mouse acts like that, sometimes it
                        takes two clicks to get one to the PC. Another thought is maybe the
                        auto-repeat function of the key is sending a KeyDown at the precise
                        moment I release the key, masking the KeyUp. The USB keypad I have
                        allows me to record seperate macros for down and up, and turn auto-
                        repeat off or on for each switch or button, so I have complete
                        control using it. When I get up and running, the Mach2 PC won't have
                        a mouse or regular keyboard connected except when I am doing
                        maintenance on the software. Everything will be controlled via a
                        control box and USB keypad/emulator, with a LCD for visual feedback.
                        Hopefully it will be bullet-proof, as the power and flexibility of
                        Mach2 can be dangerous in the hands of someone who knows just enough
                        to screw everything up (admittedly, I am just starting to get past
                        that stage myself)

                        Steve

                        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Servo Wizard
                        <servowizard@y...> wrote:
                        > Steve,
                        >
                        > Velocity jogging is turned on by the KeyDown event and cancelled
                        by the KeyUp event. In other words if you were to press the key that
                        activates velocity jogging and then unplug the keyboard before
                        releasing the keypress then velocity jogging would run until an
                        overtravel detection switch was made.

                        > Servo

                      • Steve
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
                          Hi Ed,

                          I am also using an XKeys, and a 4 way microswitch type joystick (not
                          a gameport type). I de-soldered one row of switches on the XKeys and
                          connected the joystick switches to the XKeys board. I don't use the
                          shift feature in Mach2 to jog fast, I have a macro that allows me to
                          cycle through jog speeds with one button on the XKeys. I have the
                          four keys the joystick is connected to programmed identically on
                          both the red and green layer, so KeyDown - LayerShift - KeyUp
                          behaves the same as KeyDown - KeyUp and I don't have to concern
                          myself with the layer I am in. I enable/disable the joystick via a
                          keypad key mapped to Mach2 Encoder Jog Toggle (OEMcode 174) with no
                          encoder, so the joystick is effectively disabled while in encoder
                          jog mode. The macro I wrote might be of use to you, it allows you to
                          define 3 jog speeds in IPM rather than percent and cycle between
                          them. Also, recording the jog key in XKeys, deleting the UP event,
                          then clicking on release, recording the same key but deleting the
                          DOWN event, unchecking the auto-repeat box and doing the same on
                          both green and red layers will get you past the sticky key problem
                          as well. (If I am understanding your message correctly)
                          I really like the XKeys, they are much better than the IPAC board
                          (I have one of those as well, but it's not flexible enough IMO)

                          Steve

                          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Gilbert" <co2man@n...>
                          wrote:
                          > Steve,
                          >
                          > Servo is right on the beam on this. I use an xkeys keyboard for a
                          pendant
                          > control. I had programmed the unit to have a momentary layer
                          control key. I
                          > then programmed a green layer key for jog rate jog and the red
                          layer key as
                          > the shift jog for rapid. The problem with the scheme is if you
                          press the
                          > layer key and the rapid jog function and release the layer key
                          before
                          > releasing the jog function the rapid stays persistent as key pad
                          has not
                          > processed the release function for that key. I have spoken to tech
                          support
                          > on the product to see if they can put some code into the unit to
                          clear and
                          > functions on a layer change, for now I just set the layer control
                          key up as
                          > a toggle which forces the operator to press it again to get to the
                          normal
                          > functions. This is a slight pain but the keys are kept from being
                          sticky.
                          > HTH
                          >

                          > Best,
                          >
                          > Ed Gilbert
                          >
                          > Gilbert Engineered Systems
                          > 632 Warrenton-Embro Road
                          > Macon, NC 27551
                          > 252-257-0539

                          Service.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
                            Hi Steve,

                            I did exactly what you did and if you release the momentary layer control
                            key before releasing the shifted function key the shift up function is not
                            processed and it leaves the shift code on in micromanager. Tim at tech
                            support is trying to get the programmers to come up with a fix for this.
                            Nice macro by the way!

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
                              Hi Ed,

                              I can't get my XKeys to behave as you describe, mine work
                              flawlessly. Maybe you have a different version of the firmware on
                              yours. Mine is 20 key desktop model X-KEY20 Ver 2.1 (silkscreened on
                              the pcb) with a sticker on the microprocessor PI ENG XKSTUS41
                              S820796. The software is X-Keys Macro Manager 1.0.3.0 Copyright 2003.
                              X-Keys SE on the back sticker. Are you using a different model?
                              Maybe this info will help the tech-support guys. I have removed the
                              bottom row of switches to be able to connect a 4-way microswitch
                              type joystick, but I can't see that making any difference.

                              Good luck with it, they are great little units IMO.

                              Steve
                            • Digital audio Pro
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
                                Same problem in keygrabber actually but should be corrected soon. I do the
                                same thing, i use a modifier key who change his function according to the
                                layer we are. (modifier step jog mode / feedrate override).

                                Olivier.

                              • Steve
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
                                  Hi Ed,
                                  I managed to reproduce the error you are talking about, but I have
                                  come up with a solution that works. Release the shift from both
                                  layers, but only engage it from one.
                                  Try this:

                                  Green Layer Jog Right = RightArrow[Down]

                                  Green Layer Jog Right release = RightArrow[Up]
                                  RightShift[Up]

                                  Red Layer Jog Right = RightShift[Down]
                                  RightArrow[Down]

                                  Red Layer Jog Right release = RightArrow[Up]
                                  RightShift[Up]

                                  This will release the shift from either layer, no effect if it isn't
                                  already down, and it will engage the shift from only the red layer.

                                  Let me know if it works for you, it works for me, so now I can have
                                  my macro with 3 jog speeds, AND a max jog. I'm on a roll here, got
                                  to go code more macros :)

                                  wrote:
                                  > Hi Steve,
                                  >
                                  > I did exactly what you did and if you release the momentary layer
                                  control
                                  > key before releasing the shifted function key the shift up
                                  function is not
                                  > processed and it leaves the shift code on in micromanager. Tim at
                                  tech
                                  > support is trying to get the programmers to come up with a fix for
                                  this.
                                  > Nice macro by the way!
                                  >

                                  > Best,
                                  >
                                  > Ed Gilbert