RE: [mach1mach2cnc] New Feature For Machx Speech Recognition

  • Mark Vaughan
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
      The risk with speech recognition is what the machine will if it makes a
      mistake.
      Speech recognition software still has wild results depending on the user,
      and it's still very much user specific, it's also amazing how way off it can
      sometimes be.
      I spent a while with several development groups with all sorts of wild
      claims about their speech recog programs, to dictate a letter with an
      automatic intelligent spell/grammer checker often gets a good result. If it
      doesn't it's still often as good as you get from many modern secretaries,
      and a lot better than our garble in emails, but a mistake does little
      doesn't hack your hand off, or throw bits of cutter everywhere.
      To operate a CNC machine using speech recognition would be asking for
      trouble, and it's very processor hungry.
      Sorry it ain't mach or Art that are the problem, the speech recognition
      technology just ain't there yet, and has a long long way to go before it is.

      Regs Mark

      _____

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
        Hi, i have to agree. i tried to make a voice program work called Word Pad
        from alpha softwear. i went thru months of teaching it to find the word i
        spoke, got so it was fair, then had a tooth removed, later an ear infection
        which changed the pitch and tone of my voice as well and the program was
        back to the start learning mode again. if you are very lucky with a clear
        voice and great speech and good hearing it will work fairly well. if you
        have few teeth left, deaf as a stone and a hardened voice chances are it
        wont work worth a dam...way faster to type!
        cul brian f.
        > The risk with speech recognition is what the machine will if it makes a
        > mistake.
        > Speech recognition software still has wild results depending on the user,
        > and it's still very much user specific, it's also amazing how way off it
        can
        > sometimes be.
        > I spent a while with several development groups with all sorts of wild
        > claims about their speech recog programs, to dictate a letter with an
        > automatic intelligent spell/grammer checker often gets a good result. If
        it
        > doesn't it's still often as good as you get from many modern secretaries,
        > and a lot better than our garble in emails, but a mistake does little
        > doesn't hack your hand off, or throw bits of cutter everywhere.
        > To operate a CNC machine using speech recognition would be asking for
        > trouble, and it's very processor hungry.
        > Sorry it ain't mach or Art that are the problem, the speech recognition
        > technology just ain't there yet, and has a long long way to go before it
        is.

        > Regs Mark
        >
        > _____

      • James Connerton

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
            Hi Jim
            I thought about having the stop command. It would be good to yell it when
            all goes wrong.
            Trouble is you would get to rely on it for normal use, and when all goes
            wrong voice stress would probably stop it working when it's most needed.
            The military do have voice recognition development for wepaons selection,
            with mixed success, as far as I know even with their financial backing it's
            still experimental and limited to basic control sleection that requires a
            manual movement to action it. Sorry I have to be vague, I know a little more
            about this, where about all I can say is that there are those that are
            pushing to take it further with recent activity, but the teckies don't hold
            out as much hope as the management.
            Until they fly a fighter aircraft by voice recognition, and like GPS they
            are willing to give Joe public the technology for next to nothing I think we
            had better wait for our own safety.
            At best we could use it to select something like jog amount or axis, view
            the selection on the screen then action it with our jog lever, similar to
            weapons selection.
            Regs Mark

            _____

            From: mach1mach2cnc@ <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
              It could always repeat your instruction back to you and ask for
              confirmation. It's not much worse than if you make a typing error in
              your gcode. You check and double check before you execute, or at
              least I do - now!

              This makes me think of another question. Why is gcode stuck with
              machine friendly code that is so user-unfriendly. Most programming
              languages these days appear to have moved on and leave the machine
              to do the translation, not the user. Gcode seems to be stuck in the
              early 80's with respect to user friendliness.

              Regards
              Phil

              --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Vaughan" <mark@...>
              wrote:

              > The risk with speech recognition is what the machine will if it
              makes a
              > mistake.
              > Speech recognition software still has wild results depending on
              the user,
              > and it's still very much user specific, it's also amazing how way
              off it can
              > sometimes be.
              > I spent a while with several development groups with all sorts of
              wild
              > claims about their speech recog programs, to dictate a letter with
              an
              > automatic intelligent spell/grammer checker often gets a good
              result. If it
              > doesn't it's still often as good as you get from many modern
              secretaries,
              > and a lot better than our garble in emails, but a mistake does
              little
              > doesn't hack your hand off, or throw bits of cutter everywhere.
              > To operate a CNC machine using speech recognition would be asking
              for
              > trouble, and it's very processor hungry.
              > Sorry it ain't mach or Art that are the problem, the speech
              recognition
              > technology just ain't there yet, and has a long long way to go
              before it is.

              > Regs Mark
              >
              > _____

            • art
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
                Phil:

                I think as you get used to Gcode, youll find its an eveolved language that is actually easier then most things you can think of to replace it.. Once you get used to it, its pretty simple..

                Videos And Support Forums http://www.machsupport.com
                Users Map: http://www.frappr.com/machsupport

                wrote:

                > The risk with speech recognition is what the machine will if it
                makes a
                > mistake.
                > Speech recognition software still has wild results depending on
                the user,
                > and it's still very much user specific, it's also amazing how way
                off it can
                > sometimes be.
                > I spent a while with several development groups with all sorts of
                wild
                > claims about their speech recog programs, to dictate a letter with
                an
                > automatic intelligent spell/grammer checker often gets a good
                result. If it
                > doesn't it's still often as good as you get from many modern
                secretaries,
                > and a lot better than our garble in emails, but a mistake does
                little
                > doesn't hack your hand off, or throw bits of cutter everywhere.
                > To operate a CNC machine using speech recognition would be asking
                for
                > trouble, and it's very processor hungry.
                > Sorry it ain't mach or Art that are the problem, the speech
                recognition
                > technology just ain't there yet, and has a long long way to go
                before it is.

                > Regs Mark
                >
                > _____

              • Emanuel Vena
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
                  Oh throw in a whole lot of machine noise and try geting a good directional
                  microphone that will be able to filter out all that noise while letting your
                  spoken words through although, I suppose you could turn the machine on and
                  "teach" the software with the noise then teach it without the noise :)

                  For anyone interested, there are voice-recognition chips out there that can
                  be programmed to "remember" a handful of words and output a bit pattern that
                  you could use to trigger some inputs. I think the cheapest standalone one
                  I've used for my robots is the ISD2000 that was available form Radio Shack
                  but at least in my area (Seattle) all the Radio Shacks are pretty much
                  morphing into a cell phone and HDTV store. All the chips and electronic
                  goodies they used to carry have been reduced to almost non-existent.

                  -Manny

                  _____

                  > The risk with speech recognition is what the machine will if it makes a
                  > mistake.
                  > Speech recognition software still has wild results depending on the user,
                  > and it's still very much user specific, it's also amazing how way off it
                  can
                  > sometimes be.
                  > I spent a while with several development groups with all sorts of wild
                  > claims about their speech recog programs, to dictate a letter with an
                  > automatic intelligent spell/grammer checker often gets a good result. If
                  it
                  > doesn't it's still often as good as you get from many modern secretaries,
                  > and a lot better than our garble in emails, but a mistake does little
                  > doesn't hack your hand off, or throw bits of cutter everywhere.
                  > To operate a CNC machine using speech recognition would be asking for
                  > trouble, and it's very processor hungry.
                  > Sorry it ain't mach or Art that are the problem, the speech recognition
                  > technology just ain't there yet, and has a long long way to go before it
                  is.

                  > Regs Mark
                  >
                  > _____
                  >
                  > From: mach1mach2cnc@ <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                  yahoogroups.com [mailto:mach1mach2cnc@
                  > >>How long before we get a version of MACH incorporating speech
                  > recognition
                  >
                  > It understands you now when you speak. But since its code was written by
                  the
                  > worlds worst procrastinator, it just hasnt gotten around to responding as
                  > yet.. :)

                  > www.artofcnc.ca
                  >
                  > Videos And Support Forums http://www.machsupp <http://www.machsupp
                  <http://www.machsupport.com> ort.com>
                  > ort.com
                  > Users Map: http://www.frappr <http://www.frappr
                  <http://www.frappr.com/machsupport> com/machsupport>
                  > com/machsupport

                • Alan Wright
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
                    I'm a software engineer, so may have a distorted
                    perspective. It seems to me that most who can
                    become proficient in G-code could also become
                    proficient in a higher level language that can
                    generate the G-code. Personally I use Perl/Tk
                    (though I suspect that would not be the best
                    choice for most), and in so doing eliminate any
                    need to ever do any calculations, eliminate the
                    need to remember non-trivial G-codes (at most I
                    learn them just long enough to bury them forever
                    in a library routine), and am able to write my
                    own conversational wizards (complete with GUI)
                    for a wide range of repeatable operations, whether
                    general purpose or highly specialized. Every
                    bit of code I've ever written is thus saved in
                    a re-usable form, and I know exactly how each
                    such routine will behave as well as how to set
                    up for it. Best of all, I've avoided having to
                    learn how to use (and pay for), expensive CAM
                    software that primarily does a million things
                    I don't need.

                    Probably not for everyone, but it certainly has
                    boosted my productivity.

                    Alan

                    --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Burman"
                    <philip.burman@...> wrote:

                    > This makes me think of another question. Why is gcode stuck with
                    > machine friendly code that is so user-unfriendly. Most programming
                    > languages these days appear to have moved on and leave the machine
                    > to do the translation, not the user. Gcode seems to be stuck in
                    the
                    > early 80's with respect to user friendliness.
                    >
                    > Regards
                    > Phil

                  • JIM WELLMAN
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
                      Alan,
                      It is all in ones prospsective, I for one could learn the higher level
                      language. It seems that I however am doing this as another hobby. I would much
                      rather be out on a communications tower, enjoying the view, all the while
                      getting paid to do it. Don't have to spend the extra money going to a fittness
                      center to shed the extra pounds and six hours a week lost; I could spend at my
                      hobbies. The behind the desk job works only so long for me. Granted it may not
                      be a high (600')level but it fills my needs. I would be interested in a
                      product that comes out of an electronic box and do the task at hand if there
                      is a programmer such as yourself providing such service at a fair price. The
                      bottom line is, that we use technology to become more productive, but to what
                      end. It takes diverse groupings of skills to make this world go around. It is
                      time for me to set back and smell the daisies not hurry to the (end) only to
                      push them up. I am not trying to be obtrusive or offensive for that matter
                      politically correct, just another prospective! I threw my soap box away, had
                      to build another to respond. It is great to have such a talented group as
                      this. Thanks Art and All who contribute their knowledge and support.

                      Jim

                      On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 18:43:12 -0000
                      "Alan Wright" <alan@...> wrote:

                      > I'm a software engineer, so may have a distorted
                      > perspective. It seems to me that most who can
                      > become proficient in G-code could also become
                      > proficient in a higher level language that can
                      > generate the G-code. Personally I use Perl/Tk
                      > (though I suspect that would not be the best
                      > choice for most), and in so doing eliminate any
                      > need to ever do any calculations, eliminate the
                      > need to remember non-trivial G-codes (at most I
                      > learn them just long enough to bury them forever
                      > in a library routine), and am able to write my
                      > own conversational wizards (complete with GUI)
                      > for a wide range of repeatable operations, whether
                      > general purpose or highly specialized. Every
                      > bit of code I've ever written is thus saved in
                      > a re-usable form, and I know exactly how each
                      > such routine will behave as well as how to set
                      > up for it. Best of all, I've avoided having to
                      > learn how to use (and pay for), expensive CAM
                      > software that primarily does a million things
                      > I don't need.
                      >
                      > Probably not for everyone, but it certainly has
                      > boosted my productivity.
                      >
                      > Alan
                      >

                      > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Burman"
                      > <philip.burman@...> wrote:
                      >>

                      >> This makes me think of another question. Why is gcode stuck with
                      >> machine friendly code that is so user-unfriendly. Most programming
                      >> languages these days appear to have moved on and leave the machine
                      >> to do the translation, not the user. Gcode seems to be stuck in
                      > the
                      >> early 80's with respect to user friendliness.
                      >>
                      >> Regards
                      >> Phil

                    • James Connerton
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
                        Hi Alan,

                        I think this sounds interesting and can See it being very useful. What area of programing or higher level interface programing would you steer us towards? Thanks,
                        Jim C