RE: [mach1mach2cnc] Crossover?

  • Andy Wander
    Message 1 of 41 , Sep 1, 2006
      Jim:

      You need to know what IP addresses the router (thru it's dhcp server) is
      giving out. From the info you posted on the IP addresses you were
      getting from the router/dhcp server they are in the 192.168.1.x network,
      with 255.255.255.0 subnet mask. This network, with this subnet mask,
      includes all hosts with IP addresses between 192.168.1.1 and
      192.168.1.254. The dhcp typically is set up to only give out numbers
      from a subset of this address range, like 192.168.1.1 thru
      192.168.1.100, or something like that.

      What you want to make sure of is that the IP address you have set your
      PC for (the static IP address) doesn't conflict with the addresses that
      the router is giving out to other PCs. You also want to make sure that
      the IP address you have set the PC for doesn't conflict with the IP
      address of the router itself, which according to what you posted earlier
      is 192.168.1.254 (the default gateway is typically also the IP address
      of the router for this type of setup). You also need to make sure that
      your PC IS on the same network(so if you set it up on 192.168.100.100
      like fignoggle suggested, you should change that to 192.168.1.200, or
      something like that).

      Finally, what IP address is the G100 set to? That should also not be in
      the "dhcp server" range, or on the same address as the
      router(192.168.1.254). But it DOES need to be in the 192.168.1.x network
      in order to communicate with the PC, after you switch the PC to the
      192.168.1.x nertwork. I am not sure how the G100 gets its IP address.

      Andy Wander

      Message 41 of 41 , Sep 1, 2006
        Hi Dave /Andy,

        You guys are going to make me an Ethernet expert! Great advise, explanations and support, I was scared to fool with any of this just a day ago but you guys held my hand and encouraged me. So I was able to set a new higher number IP for the laptop, with the DHCP, Default Gateway, and DNS stuff, now I can throw on the crossover cable and hook up, or put the router cable on and get Internet for downloads, the Grex is happy, the laptop is happy, and I have a big smile on my face. Thanks for all your help, sincerely,
        Jim C.

        figNoggle <david@...> wrote:

        hi again james - maybe this analogy will help some (this may provide
        some background to andy's reply):

        here goes...

        -you live in a private, gated community called "192.168.1"

        -your home address (laptop) is "3"

        -your "dsl router" is the guy at the front gate to the community and has
        its own address of "254" (the gateway)

        -since you all live in your own respective houses, the g100 has its own
        unique address of, i'm guessing "2" (or any other number between the range
        of 1 and 255 but not 3 and 254 and probably not 1)

        -if you want your mail delivered and want to read the daily news, you
        have to contact your post office, which in this case is the dns server
        "254" (the guy at the gate also happens to moonlight as the postal worker
        but this is not always the case)

        -now, in your neighborhood, the guy at the gate, who happens to also be
        the postal worker, also runs the sales office that assigns you the
        address of your home (the dhcp server)

        -each subsequent neighbor who moves in certainly must at least check-in
        with the guy at the gate and the sales office to make sure he's not only a
        part of the neighborhood but assigned a unique house. if and only if he
        wants to check and read mail would he want to get the help of the postal
        worker (dns server)

        what you've been doing with the dsl router is to let it dictate these
        things. you can still be a part of the neighborhood and
        "crash" it, provided you know who's who and what's what - hence the
        statically assigned ip address.

        hope this helps (and wasn't creating more confusion)!

        david

        NEW! THK SHS-Series Linear Bearing and Guide Pricing Chart
        <http://www.fignoggle.com/thk-shs-pricing.htm>
        Sieg X3 and Super X3 Mill Information <http://www.superx3.com>