Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Crossover?

  • Lester Caine
    Message 1 of 41 , Sep 1, 2006
      James Connerton wrote:

      > Well they don't call you fignoggle for nothing! That was it! I checked the IP the router gave the computer, and then did your walk through and forced the IP, and it picked up the G-100 automatically. So I am a happy camper, Thanks for holding my hand,

      I've a couple of sites which were installed with just a crossover cable
      ( not g100's ;) ) and the other thing to watch out for is the switch on
      sequence. Windows will switch off the network stuff if there is no cable
      connected, so one machine would not work unless both were switched on
      before they got to windows. ( Difficult when they are in different rooms
      :( )
      There is a registry setting for switching off 'media sense', but I don't
      have the notes to hand. As long as th g100 is powered up before the
      computer it should not be a problem, but if you pull the cat5 cable and
      see 'cable disconnected' it my be ;)

      --
      Lester Caine - G8HFL
      -----------------------------
      Message 41 of 41 , Sep 1, 2006
        Hi Dave /Andy,

        You guys are going to make me an Ethernet expert! Great advise, explanations and support, I was scared to fool with any of this just a day ago but you guys held my hand and encouraged me. So I was able to set a new higher number IP for the laptop, with the DHCP, Default Gateway, and DNS stuff, now I can throw on the crossover cable and hook up, or put the router cable on and get Internet for downloads, the Grex is happy, the laptop is happy, and I have a big smile on my face. Thanks for all your help, sincerely,
        Jim C.

        figNoggle <david@...> wrote:

        hi again james - maybe this analogy will help some (this may provide
        some background to andy's reply):

        here goes...

        -you live in a private, gated community called "192.168.1"

        -your home address (laptop) is "3"

        -your "dsl router" is the guy at the front gate to the community and has
        its own address of "254" (the gateway)

        -since you all live in your own respective houses, the g100 has its own
        unique address of, i'm guessing "2" (or any other number between the range
        of 1 and 255 but not 3 and 254 and probably not 1)

        -if you want your mail delivered and want to read the daily news, you
        have to contact your post office, which in this case is the dns server
        "254" (the guy at the gate also happens to moonlight as the postal worker
        but this is not always the case)

        -now, in your neighborhood, the guy at the gate, who happens to also be
        the postal worker, also runs the sales office that assigns you the
        address of your home (the dhcp server)

        -each subsequent neighbor who moves in certainly must at least check-in
        with the guy at the gate and the sales office to make sure he's not only a
        part of the neighborhood but assigned a unique house. if and only if he
        wants to check and read mail would he want to get the help of the postal
        worker (dns server)

        what you've been doing with the dsl router is to let it dictate these
        things. you can still be a part of the neighborhood and
        "crash" it, provided you know who's who and what's what - hence the
        statically assigned ip address.

        hope this helps (and wasn't creating more confusion)!

        david

        NEW! THK SHS-Series Linear Bearing and Guide Pricing Chart
        <http://www.fignoggle.com/thk-shs-pricing.htm>
        Sieg X3 and Super X3 Mill Information <http://www.superx3.com>