RE: [mach1mach2cnc] Crossover?

  • James Connerton
    Message 1 of 41 , Aug 31, 2006
      Hi Dave,
      Well they don't call you fignoggle for nothing! That was it! I checked the IP the router gave the computer, and then did your walk through and forced the IP, and it picked up the G-100 automatically. So I am a happy camper, Thanks for holding my hand,
      Jim C

      figNoggle <david@...> wrote:

      hi james-

      in your os (windows 2000/xp?) go to:
      - start > settings > control panel > network connections > local area
      connection
      - in the pop-up, select the "internet protocol (tcp/ip)" in the white menu
      list
      - click the properties button
      - most likely at this point you have the "obtain an ip address
      automatically" selected
      - what you'll want is to specify your ip address. select the "use the
      following ip address" radio button. then enter:
      ip address: 192.168.100.100
      subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 (this should auto-populate when you enter the
      ip address)

      one more thing: once you do this you won't be able to connect to your lan
      via router without undoing these changes (unless you tell your router to
      do static ip addressing...)

      now, in your g100 you'll need to specify its ip address as well. check
      your documentation on how to do this. note that given the ip address i
      specified above, you'll need to give it something like 192.168.100.101 and
      use the same subnet.

      if you still get stuck and just want to get going, buy a cheap router and
      let it do its own ip addressing.

      hope this helps!
      david

      (NEW!) MetalWorkingFAQ.NET - Your source for metalworking tips, tricks,
      and how-tos. Over 50 content sites! <http://www.metalworkingfaq.net>

      On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, James Connerton wrote:

      > Hi Dave/Art,
      > In the DOS window, ipconfig:
      > With router I get:
      > IP Address..............192.168.1.3
      > Subnet Mask...........255.255.255.0
      > Default Gateway......192.168.1.254
      >
      > With Cross over I get:
      > IP Address.............0.0.0.0
      > Subnet Mask..........0.0.0.0
      > Default Gateway......
      >
      > Does this stuff make sense to you guys??? I amazed, and lost, Thanks,
      > Jim C
      >
      > figNoggle <david@...> wrote:
      >
      > hi-
      >
      > maybe it's an IP address issue. are the two devices in the same subnet
      > with different IP addresses?
      >
      > e.g.
      > G-100 192.168.100.1
      > your PC 192.168.100.2
      > both with subnets of 255.255.255.0
      >
      > it sounds like when you had the router in the equation, it assigned an IP
      > to both your PC and G100 and now that you've taken that out of the
      > equation, neither one knows what to do?
      >
      > hope this helps!
      >
      > david
      >
      > ACME Screw & Acetal/Delrin Kit <http://www.fignoggle.com/kits/acmekit.htm>
      > CNC Plans <http://www.fignoggle.com/plans/cncplans.htm> (DRO too)
      > Sieg X3 and Super X3 Mill Information <http://www.superx3.com>
      >
      > On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, James Connerton wrote:
      >
      > > Hi Mark/Guys,
      > > Well I still got trouble, the store bought cross over cable came in but I still can not connect with it. It works great through the router but not in crossover mode, the cable is printed ETL VERIFIED TIA/EIA-568-B.2 CAT.5e UTP 4PR CABLE MASTER
      > > So I don't know what is going on, any ideas? Thanks,
      > > Jim C

    • James Connerton
      Message 41 of 41 , Sep 1, 2006
        Hi Dave /Andy,

        You guys are going to make me an Ethernet expert! Great advise, explanations and support, I was scared to fool with any of this just a day ago but you guys held my hand and encouraged me. So I was able to set a new higher number IP for the laptop, with the DHCP, Default Gateway, and DNS stuff, now I can throw on the crossover cable and hook up, or put the router cable on and get Internet for downloads, the Grex is happy, the laptop is happy, and I have a big smile on my face. Thanks for all your help, sincerely,
        Jim C.

        figNoggle <david@...> wrote:

        hi again james - maybe this analogy will help some (this may provide
        some background to andy's reply):

        here goes...

        -you live in a private, gated community called "192.168.1"

        -your home address (laptop) is "3"

        -your "dsl router" is the guy at the front gate to the community and has
        its own address of "254" (the gateway)

        -since you all live in your own respective houses, the g100 has its own
        unique address of, i'm guessing "2" (or any other number between the range
        of 1 and 255 but not 3 and 254 and probably not 1)

        -if you want your mail delivered and want to read the daily news, you
        have to contact your post office, which in this case is the dns server
        "254" (the guy at the gate also happens to moonlight as the postal worker
        but this is not always the case)

        -now, in your neighborhood, the guy at the gate, who happens to also be
        the postal worker, also runs the sales office that assigns you the
        address of your home (the dhcp server)

        -each subsequent neighbor who moves in certainly must at least check-in
        with the guy at the gate and the sales office to make sure he's not only a
        part of the neighborhood but assigned a unique house. if and only if he
        wants to check and read mail would he want to get the help of the postal
        worker (dns server)

        what you've been doing with the dsl router is to let it dictate these
        things. you can still be a part of the neighborhood and
        "crash" it, provided you know who's who and what's what - hence the
        statically assigned ip address.

        hope this helps (and wasn't creating more confusion)!

        david

        NEW! THK SHS-Series Linear Bearing and Guide Pricing Chart
        <http://www.fignoggle.com/thk-shs-pricing.htm>