RE: [mach1mach2cnc] Re: Version 1.90.070 - major code change warning..

  • Olivier
    Message 1 of 61 , Aug 1, 2006
      Art, nice news for the new toolpath. Seems to work quite well here. The Z
      index has disappeared. Is it a desire ?

      On another front, i think that the config menu should be simplified. Those
      extensives menus are confusing for users, and tends to make mach3 a software
      seen more complex than it can be.

      One of the biggest problem of mach3 for is acceptance is that it is seen
      like a very complex program. This is not really the case. This can be solved
      organizing some menus.

      I'm quite sure that if you can do those small menu modifications, mach3 will
      directly become more user friendly. It is more important according to me
      that the toolpath window development for example.

      Here is actually my opinion concerning priority :

      1) engine reliability enhancement and finishing low level functions like the
      sequencer, G100, synchronized spindle, low level screwmapping and realtime
      formulas.

      2) user interface - menu enhancements - screen enhancements - language
      translation enhancements for menus and windows.

      3) Modbus

      4) toolpath and other secondary importance things.

      I think that lazycam, addons and main screens beautifull graphic design
      should be left in the background until mach3 points 1, 2 and 3 are not
      finished.

      The G100 project is not yet finished and seems to take much longer time than
      previously imagined. Is there a problem with the firmware code development ?

      Here is a few ideas :

      - lock and unlock could be moved to the operator menu

      - select native units could be moved to the motor tuning window

      - Ports and pins is not self explanatory. I would name this menu "Input /
      Ouput config"

      - Homing/limits, Slave axis, Backlash, Screwmapping, Formulas, Calibrate
      Spindle could be moved to a single line menu named "Axis config", and next
      splitted with an indexed window.

      - logic and state is not self explanatory. I would group those two menu
      inside a "general config" menu, and eventually split with an indexed window.

      - "Fonts" and "system hotkeys" could be moved to the "general config"
      indexed window.

      I would add a separation line for the last lines of the menu. With an
      "advanced" title.

      This new arrangement reduce the number of menu line from 22 to 11. I think
      that 22 lines is a design flaw. it is very difficult to watch a 22 lines
      menu. It is always confusing each time we open it.

      In the end we could have :

      - Input Output settings
      - Axis settings
      - Motor Tuning
      - Toolpath
      - General Config

      - Calibrate MPG
      - Setup Modbus Control
      - Serial Monitor
      - Edit Button script
      - Reset Device Sel
      - Check Config

      Thanks for your listening,

      Olivier.
    • Andy Wander
      Message 61 of 61 , Aug 7, 2006
        Art:

        I found it-my kernel speed got reset to 25KHz in Mach3(I use 45KHz) This
        was limiting my top speed, but it was also doing strange things with the
        accel/decal ramps.

        Andy