Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re: V-CARAVE ( V-Carve )

  • Lester Caine
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2006
      julie ruzzo wrote:

      > Thanks fo the info, i can make dfx files and pdf is from a scarner right? if you do get more info on it like im looking for can you please let me know.

      V-Carve is basically designed to take vector art and 'draw' it on a
      component. The new version adds 'depth' to the work so you can define
      the 'bottom' of the work. Or rather, you can define the maximum depth of
      a cut, and VCarve will use a flat bottom tool to remove material, so
      that the V tool can then be used to add fine detail. So you can scan in
      images, but they need to be converted to line art which VCarve can then
      handle (pdf's that use vector drawing can be read with the new package).
      If you look at the gallery on the VCarve site, you will see what can be
      achieved ;) I've taken a few pictures and played with the 'edges' in
      paintshop to give me lines that VCarve seems happy to work with but
      nothing out of the mill yet :( Just need a few more hours in the day!

      PhotoCarve works with 'raster' images to produce an output. The picture
      is converted to black and white and basically sliced into a number of
      horizontal lines, the angle of which can be selected for best results,
      and then these lines are machined using the V bit using the 'amount of
      black/white' to determine the depth of cut.

      I think that another of the improvements is to allow you to add
      PhotoCarve pictures to the VCarve output - but I get my 'training
      session' on Thursday so I'm just working from the book :)

      --
      Lester Caine - G8HFL
      -----------------------------
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2006
        Hi Tom,

        The comments from Lester and nattyone are spot on - thanks guys.
        Just to add a little more detail.

        VCarve Pro (released yesterday) will load / import most line drawing
        file formats and calculate precision toolpaths for engraving and
        general machining, pocketing, drilling and cut-outs etc.

        One of the major features in VCarve is the ability to calculate 3D
        Engrave / corner sharpening toolpaths that lift the conical
        engraving cutter into detailed areas of a design (for example the
        corners of small lettering / logos). This functionality is usually
        only available in more expensive software products.

        We have standard postprocessors for Mach2 and Mach3 (also Auto Tool
        Changing options if needed) and we have members of this group
        successfully running their machines.

        The new version VCarve Pro now includes many more drawing tools and
        additional machining functionality, making it a lot more rounded and
        useful product. For a summary of the New features see,

        http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/whats_new/VCarvePro/index.htm

        PhotoVCarve is a very different machining product that engraves
        pictures / photographs directly without needing to have any line
        data. This software machines variable width grooves to represent the
        picture using engraving cutters. It can also be used to machine
        Lithophanes into translucent materials using ball nosed cutters.
        These are 3D pictures that when lit from behind 'come to life' and
        look very interesting.

        The Trial Versions of both products let you experiment with your own
        designs and cut samples on your machine. The Trial version of VCarve
        Pro will be available some time next week.

        I hope this helps,

        Tony

        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, julie ruzzo <badjulie46@...>
        wrote:

        > hI,
        >
        > Anyone know if V-Carve can be use to cut small parts in alm-from
        photos or lines from a drawing, also do i del-mach2 and mach3 befor
        installing new upgrades right now im useing vr-40

        > thanks tom

      • nattyone960
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2006
          You are welcome.
          I am going to load the upgrade on Monday or Tuesday and get some test
          in.

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "vectric" <tonym@...> wrote:

          > Hi Tom,
          >
          > The comments from Lester and nattyone are spot on - thanks guys.
          > Just to add a little more detail.
        • irfan ullah
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2006
            Hi all,

            just planning to build a 4ft x 8 ft working area router to cut plywood sheets.....as per MadVacs machine www.oneoceankayaks.com/madvac/madvac_index.htm

            the motor selected has Specs: 110VDC, 7.5A, 2000RPM, 625W, 3 Nm for contineous operation.

            Is the torque enough- - planning to machine some aluminium too on the machine for tooling...........

            the cost being approx 190 USD per motor here in india.........

            Using the UHU controller with mach 3

            Please comment

            Thanks and regards

            Irfan

          • art
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2006
              Irfan:

              YEs, that makes it a .8HP motor , approximatley. That shoudl be enough to mill almost anything, it usually a matter of speed rather than power. The more power, the faster you can machine to the limit of the tool and material, but a .8HP can machine almost anything..

              Videos And Support Forums http://www.machsupport.com
              Users Map: http://www.frappr.com/machsupport