Re: [mach1mach2cnc] stepper motors

  • Alejandro Gulminelli IP
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2006
      Check your motor specs, most motors can heat up to 70 or 80 degrees centigrades in normal condition

      alejandro
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2006
        Tony:

        Steppers uisually heat fomr too high a voltage. They are allowed to get
        hot though, just not so hot you cant touch them..and hold them..

        Videos And Support Forums http://www.machsupport.com
        Users Map: http://www.frappr.com/machsupport
        > I am using a pair of 3 amps stepper motors in my cnc router and the
        > problem is that the motor does get heated up with 30 to 50 minutes of
        > working.
        > The rating of the driver is selected to 2.5 amps then still the motors
        > heates up .
        > why does the stepper motor gets heated?
        > the other motors rated at lower amps do not get heated up.
        > Can any one help with a solution.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Antony
        >

        > www.machsupport.com - Web site Access
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Wolgamott M
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2006
          I thought Mine were getting too hot also. The motor label says 80 degree C rise. They get so hot you cannot hold your hand on them. I used a meat thermometer to check temp then went to the web for a conversion from C to F then factored in ambient temp, according to the motor spece it OK. But make sure to check your motor specs.

          Mac

          Alejandro Gulminelli IP <alejandro@...> wrote:
          Check your motor specs, most motors can heat up to 70 or 80 degrees centigrades in normal condition

          alejandro
          I am using a pair of 3 amps stepper motors in my cnc router and the
          problem is that the motor does get heated up with 30 to 50 minutes of
          working.
          The rating of the driver is selected to 2.5 amps then still the motors
          heates up .
          why does the stepper motor gets heated?
          the other motors rated at lower amps do not get heated up.
          Can any one help with a solution.

          Regards,
          Antony

          www.machsupport.com - Web site Access

          Mach2 Machine controller

          www.machsupport.com - Web site Access

          Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Cnc controller Mach2 Machine controller

        • nattyone960
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2006
            I have some 2.5A steppers. The only way I could tune them properly
            using a xylotex was to drop down to 2A @35VDC (I suspect that the XY
            had reached it voltage ceiling and thus was not able to deliver the
            right current to the motor).

            I have since change to Gecks and no after a short time the motor gets
            really hot under the XY they were merely warm.

            I think I should change the limit resistor to allow it to deliver 2A
            the stepper and see it this will change. The limit resistors that I
            am using is a little above the calculation for 2.5A anyway.

            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, art <fenerty@...> wrote:

            > Tony:
            >
            > Steppers uisually heat fomr too high a voltage. They are allowed
            to get
            > hot though, just not so hot you cant touch them..and hold them..

            > www.artofcnc.ca
            >
            > Videos And Support Forums http://www.machsupport.com
            > Users Map: http://www.frappr.com/machsupport

          • Steve Blackmore
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2006
              On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 22:11:22 -0000, you wrote:

              >I have some 2.5A steppers. The only way I could tune them properly
              >using a xylotex was to drop down to 2A @35VDC (I suspect that the XY
              >had reached it voltage ceiling and thus was not able to deliver the
              >right current to the motor).
              >
              >I have since change to Gecks and no after a short time the motor gets
              >really hot under the XY they were merely warm.
              >
              >I think I should change the limit resistor to allow it to deliver 2A
              >the stepper and see it this will change. The limit resistors that I
              >am using is a little above the calculation for 2.5A anyway.

              How are your motors wired - series or parallel?

              You may be putting in twice the amps required?

              See

              http://www.geckodrive.com/photos/Step_motor_basics.pdf

              Steve Blackmore
              --
            • nattyone960
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 1, 2006
                These are simple 4 wire deals so no chance of a mistake.
                I just finished cutting again haven't changed anything but they are
                cooler.
                My upstairs Air Condition Unit is out, so the ambient temp is really
                high. Even my Design PC halted a number of times between yesterday
                and today. It was also raining when I was cutting = lower room temp.
                So I think when I fix the Air Con my problems my disappear or the
                steppers wont be so hot.

                > How are your motors wired - series or parallel?
                >
                > You may be putting in twice the amps required?
                >
                > See
                >
                > http://www.geckodrive.com/photos/Step_motor_basics.pdf
                >
                > Steve Blackmore
                > --

              • martinekbarry
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 21, 2007
                  I have 8 lead 200oz in 3v 3a stepper motors I have a controller using
                  gecko drives which is set up for 3 amp current resistor cause I use
                  this on one of my machines I have another machine that I want to
                  connect to this contoller without changing the resistor cause I'll be
                  changing between both machines so which connection do I use bipolar
                  series or parallel.