RC brushless speed controller

  • Manu CNC
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 1 11:52 AM
      Hi,

      Did anyone used a RC brushless speed controller with Mach to drive the
      spindle?
      The idea is that mach(interface card) is generating a RC-servo signal for
      the brushless controller!

      http://www.epanorama.net/links/motorcontrol.html#rcservo

      Manu (@manu, manutoys, vantiv)

    • Manu CNC
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 1 1:09 PM
        Changed subject

        Manu (@manu, manutoys, vantiv)

        Did anyone used a RC brushless speed controller with Mach to drive the
        spindle?
        The idea is that mach(interface card) is generating a RC-servo signal for
        the brushless controller!

        http://www.epanorama.net/links/motorcontrol.html#rcservo

        Manu (@manu, manutoys, vantiv)

        www.machsupport.com - Web site Access
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • nattyone960
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 1 3:01 PM
          This came up on the CNC-Toolkit Group in a discussion of spindles. I
          have a tiny mill and a few out-runners I am planning to use.

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Manu CNC" <mansys@...> wrote:

          > Changed subject
          >
          > Manu (@manu, manutoys, vantiv)

        • Peter Homann
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 1 3:32 PM
            Hi,

            From memory the RC servo signal is a PWM signal with a period of 20mS with
            the pulse varing from 1ms (Fully CCW) to 2ms fully (CW). centre position
            (Off) has a pulse width of 1.5mS

            Mach is providing a PWM signal from 0 to 100% PWM for 0 to max speed.

            So, you can generate the 50Hz PWM pulse stream in Mach by setting the PWM
            base to 50.

            Assuming you have set th Mach kernel speed to 45KHz, you have 900
            (45,000/50) steps in your PWM signal.

            At most the signal you are varing from 1ms to 2ms pulse so you will have
            45 steps (900 steps/20ms) per ms.

            I'm not sure that 45 steps will be enough. Although you can look at as 45
            pulley settings on your machine. Probably better than what you have now,
            but not a great improvement.

            Then you would have to write a bit of macro code as you need to get Mach
            to generate 1ms PWM pulse for zero speed, and a 2 ms pulse for max.

            On the other hand I could modify the software in the DigiSpeed to produce
            the signal if there is enough interest.

            Cheers,

            Peter.

            nattyone960 said:

            > This came up on the CNC-Toolkit Group in a discussion of spindles. I
            > have a tiny mill and a few out-runners I am planning to use.
            >

            > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Manu CNC" <mansys@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Changed subject
            >>
            >> Manu (@manu, manutoys, vantiv)

          • nattyone960
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 1 7:59 PM
              --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Homann" <groups@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > From memory the RC servo signal is a PWM signal with a period of
              20mS with
              > the pulse varing from 1ms (Fully CCW) to 2ms fully (CW). centre
              position
              > (Off) has a pulse width of 1.5mS
              >
              > Mach is providing a PWM signal from 0 to 100% PWM for 0 to max
              speed.

              > So, you can generate the 50Hz PWM pulse stream in Mach by setting
              the PWM
              > base to 50.
              >
              > Assuming you have set th Mach kernel speed to 45KHz, you have 900
              > (45,000/50) steps in your PWM signal.
              >
              > At most the signal you are varing from 1ms to 2ms pulse so you will
              have
              > 45 steps (900 steps/20ms) per ms.
              >
              > I'm not sure that 45 steps will be enough. Although you can look at
              as 45
              > pulley settings on your machine. Probably better than what you have
              now,
              > but not a great improvement.
              >
              > Then you would have to write a bit of macro code as you need to get
              Mach
              > to generate 1ms PWM pulse for zero speed, and a 2 ms pulse for max.
              >

              > On the other hand I could modify the software in the DigiSpeed to
              produce
              > the signal if there is enough interest.
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Peter.

              How much interests?
            • Manu CNC
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 1 11:42 PM
                Thanks Peter, I would definitely be interested!!!!

                Manu (@manu, manutoys, vantiv)

                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 2 1:18 PM
                  Art,

                  Is it possible to generate a PWM RC servo signal! This would be a fantastic
                  feature. Think of all RC speed controllers on the market! An to find a
                  suitable spindle motor would not be a problem anymore!

                  I did measure the spindle signal on a scope :
                  The pulses duration do NOT stay between 1 and 2ms!

                  _|___|___|___|___|___|___|_ 2ms/div

                  10% _|¨|____|¨|____|¨|____

                  45% _|¨¨|___|¨¨|___|¨¨|___

                  75% _|¨¨¨|__|¨¨¨|__|¨¨¨|__

                  90% _|¨¨¨¨|_|¨¨¨¨|_|¨¨¨¨¨|__

                  Is this right?

                  So I suppose you could also do the RC-signal

                  every 20mS generate a pulse
                  _|___|___|___|___|___|___|_ 2ms/div

                  10% _|¨|____|¨|____|¨|____
                  90% _|¨¨|___|¨¨|___|¨¨|___

                  Pleeeeeeeeease Art, I would be sooooo happy!

                  Thanks

                  Manu (@manu, manutoys, vantiv)

                  nattyone960 said:

                  > This came up on the CNC-Toolkit Group in a discussion of spindles. I
                  > have a tiny mill and a few out-runners I am planning to use.
                  >

                  > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Manu CNC" <mansys@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Changed subject
                  >>
                  >> Manu (@manu, manutoys, vantiv)

                • art
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 2 1:40 PM
                    Hi Manu:

                    To get 2ms repetativeness, thats 500hz in the PWM base. The problem there
                    is the timing then can give only about 50 speeds. But it will be very
                    accurate. Each division shoud lbe about 2ms aprat, and the width will vary
                    with the speed from 0 - 100 % is 50 steps. If 100hz is used, then the
                    division will be 10ms apart, with the width being in 2500 steps.
                    The PWM in MAch is limited to ( kernal frq / pwmbase) = steps of speed.

                    If you scoped it, you should have seen the 2ms division staying constant
                    and just the pulse width varying. Its actually pretty accurate. Depends on
                    the triggering of the scope. To properly scope a
                    PWM signal, you need to trigger on the rising or falling edge (depending on
                    th elow active setting of the output. ), othersie your trigger point will
                    move as the speed increases. I dont think an RC type of speed controller
                    woudl be a problem, but it depends on the base frequency it expects..

                    What you should see at 100hz PWM base , and moving the spindle speed from
                    0 - 100% is all the pulses starting at the same spot on 10ms boundries, but
                    the end of the pulse varying in width from 0 - 100%. That woudl be proper
                    PWM output.

                    (You cant draw that in text properly.. (I dont think..) :)

                    Videos And Support Forums http://www.machsupport.com
                    Users Map: http://www.frappr.com/machsupport
                    > Is it possible to generate a PWM RC servo signal! This would be a
                    > fantastic
                    > feature. Think of all RC speed controllers on the market! An to find a
                    > suitable spindle motor would not be a problem anymore!
                    >
                    > I did measure the spindle signal on a scope :
                    > The pulses duration do NOT stay between 1 and 2ms!
                    >
                    > _|___|___|___|___|___|___|_ 2ms/div
                    >
                    > 10% _|¨|____|¨|____|¨|____
                    >
                    > 45% _|¨¨|___|¨¨|___|¨¨|___
                    >
                    > 75% _|¨¨¨|__|¨¨¨|__|¨¨¨|__
                    >
                    > 90% _|¨¨¨¨|_|¨¨¨¨|_|¨¨¨¨¨|__
                    >
                    > Is this right?
                    >
                    > So I suppose you could also do the RC-signal
                    >
                    > every 20mS generate a pulse
                    > _|___|___|___|___|___|___|_ 2ms/div
                    >
                    > 10% _|¨|____|¨|____|¨|____
                    > 90% _|¨¨|___|¨¨|___|¨¨|___
                    >
                    > Pleeeeeeeeease Art, I would be sooooo happy!
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Manu (@manu, manutoys, vantiv)

                  • Manu CNC
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 2 2:04 PM
                      Grrrrrrr,

                      Is it possible ? yes :-) or no :-/

                      _|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|__
                      _|_ 2ms/div
                      0 2 4 6 8 0 2 4 6 8 0 2 4 6 8 0 2 4
                      6 8
                      1 2 3
                      RC-Signal every 20mS generate a pulse between 1ms and 2ms:
                      10% _||______________________________________||__________________________
                      50% _|¨¨|____________________________________|¨¨|________________________
                      100%_|¨¨¨|___________________________________|¨¨¨|________________________

                      Mach3 signal ?
                      10% _||______________________________________||__________________________
                      50%
                      _|¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨|___________________|¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨|______________
                      __________

                      100%_|¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨||¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
                      ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨|_____

                      Manu (@manu, manutoys, vantiv)

                      > Is it possible to generate a PWM RC servo signal! This would be a
                      > fantastic
                      > feature. Think of all RC speed controllers on the market! An to find a
                      > suitable spindle motor would not be a problem anymore!
                      >
                      > I did measure the spindle signal on a scope :
                      > The pulses duration do NOT stay between 1 and 2ms!
                      >
                      > _|___|___|___|___|___|___|_ 2ms/div
                      >
                      > 10% _|¨|____|¨|____|¨|____
                      >
                      > 45% _|¨¨|___|¨¨|___|¨¨|___
                      >
                      > 75% _|¨¨¨|__|¨¨¨|__|¨¨¨|__
                      >
                      > 90% _|¨¨¨¨|_|¨¨¨¨|_|¨¨¨¨¨|__
                      >
                      > Is this right?
                      >
                      > So I suppose you could also do the RC-signal
                      >
                      > every 20mS generate a pulse
                      > _|___|___|___|___|___|___|_ 2ms/div
                      >
                      > 10% _|¨|____|¨|____|¨|____
                      > 90% _|¨¨|___|¨¨|___|¨¨|___
                      >
                      > Pleeeeeeeeease Art, I would be sooooo happy!
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > Manu (@manu, manutoys, vantiv)

                    • B.Agerholm
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 2 2:25 PM
                        HI

                        It's my first reply in this forum, hope it goes trough?

                        It would be SO COOL if it's possible ;O)
                        I allready have controlers and moters laying around, so if anybody here
                        knows
                        how to set the parameters, feel free to share

                        What's wrong with (only) 50 speeds ?
                        It's way better than the one i got now... LOL

                        Regards
                        B.Agerholm
                        Denmark

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 2 4:03 PM
                          Manu:

                          Well, if you select 50hz as the base frequency, and set the Max Pulley
                          ratio to 10,000 and only select speeds from 200 - 400RPM thats abotu what
                          you woudl get. A 1 - 2ms pulse every 20ms.
                          :)

                          Videos And Support Forums http://www.machsupport.com
                          Users Map: http://www.frappr.com/machsupport
                          > _|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|__
                          > _|_ 2ms/div
                          > 0 2 4 6 8 0 2 4 6 8 0 2 4 6 8 0 2 4
                          > 6 8
                          > 1 2 3
                          > RC-Signal every 20mS generate a pulse between 1ms and 2ms:
                          > 10% _||______________________________________||__________________________
                          > 50% _|¨¨|____________________________________|¨¨|________________________
                          > 100%_|¨¨¨|___________________________________|¨¨¨|________________________
                          >

                          > Mach3 signal ?
                          > 10% _||______________________________________||__________________________
                          > 50%
                          > _|¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨|___________________|¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨|______________
                          > __________
                          >
                          > 100%_|¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨||¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
                          > ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨|_____
                          >

                          > Manu (@manu, manutoys, vantiv)

                        • Peter Homann
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 2 5:09 PM
                            Hi,

                            I can probable cobble up something fairly quickly. I can ""Pull" the RC signal
                            of the boards test points, before the Isolation circuitry.

                            Thinking of the fly, it may be better to provide an isolated RC signal or does
                            the RC speed controller already have opto isolation?

                            Give my a little time to think it through.

                            Cheers,

                            Peter.

                            nattyone960 wrote:
                            > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Homann" <groups@...>
                            > wrote:
                            >> Hi,
                            >>
                            >> From memory the RC servo signal is a PWM signal with a period of
                            > 20mS with
                            >> the pulse varing from 1ms (Fully CCW) to 2ms fully (CW). centre
                            > position
                            >> (Off) has a pulse width of 1.5mS
                            >>
                            >> Mach is providing a PWM signal from 0 to 100% PWM for 0 to max
                            > speed.
                            >> So, you can generate the 50Hz PWM pulse stream in Mach by setting
                            > the PWM
                            >> base to 50.
                            >>
                            >> Assuming you have set th Mach kernel speed to 45KHz, you have 900
                            >> (45,000/50) steps in your PWM signal.
                            >>
                            >> At most the signal you are varing from 1ms to 2ms pulse so you will
                            > have
                            >> 45 steps (900 steps/20ms) per ms.
                            >>
                            >> I'm not sure that 45 steps will be enough. Although you can look at
                            > as 45
                            >> pulley settings on your machine. Probably better than what you have
                            > now,
                            >> but not a great improvement.
                            >>
                            >> Then you would have to write a bit of macro code as you need to get
                            > Mach
                            >> to generate 1ms PWM pulse for zero speed, and a 2 ms pulse for max.
                            >>

                            >> On the other hand I could modify the software in the DigiSpeed to
                            > produce
                            >> the signal if there is enough interest.
                            >>
                            >> Cheers,
                            >>
                            >> Peter.
                            >>

                            > How much interests?
                            >

                            > www.machsupport.com - Web site Access
                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            Web: www.homanndesigns.com
                            email: homann@...
                            Phone: +61 421 601 665
                            www.homanndesigns.com/ModIO.html - Modbus Interface Unit
                            www.homanndesigns.com/DigiSpeedDeal.html - DC Spindle control
                            www.homanndesigns.com/TurboTaig.html - Taig Mill Upgrade board
                          • nattyone960
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 2 9:37 PM
                              I think the Phoenix type controllers are already opto isolated, but I
                              am not sure. According to the advice given by a member on CNC-Toolkit
                              rigging a Servo Tester to provide a pulse should allow speed control
                              of the motor.

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 3 12:38 AM
                                Hi Art,

                                My setup :
                                Kernel: 25,000Hz
                                Spindle Base Freq: 50Hz
                                Min, - Max Pully ration: 1 to 10,000

                                After scope measurements I get this !

                                If I set the scope resolution to 2ms/div I do get the correct signal!!

                                _|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|__
                                _|_ 2ms/div
                                0 2 4 6 8 0 2 4 6 8 0 2 4 6 8 0 2 4
                                6 8
                                1 2 3
                                rpm
                                200 _||______________________________________||__________________________

                                300 _|¨¨|____________________________________|¨¨|________________________

                                400 _|¨¨¨|___________________________________|¨¨¨|________________________

                                BUT, if I zoom out to 0.2 SECONDS/div I get this: distance between the
                                pulses 1.5 SECONDS !!!
                                Zooming into a pulse, I get the signal as above!

                                rpm
                                200
                                _||______________________________________||_________________________________
                                _________

                                4000_|¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨|___________________|¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨|__________
                                ______________

                                9000_|¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨||¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
                                ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨|_____

                                Mybe my scope is confusing me

                                Anyway, I also attached a RC-servo motor to it and it moves in an
                                accelerated way to one extreme, whatever rpm speed setting: start slowly and
                                accelerate at the end.

                                I can confirm that an RC-PWM-signal are Pulses of 1 to 2 msec long repeated
                                every 20-30 msec!

                                Manu (@manu, manutoys, vantiv)

                                _|¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨|___________________|¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨|______________
                                > __________

                                100%_|¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨||¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 3 12:46 AM
                                  RC-Servo signal:
                                  http://homepages.which.net/~paul.hills/Circuits/RxDecoder/RxDecoder.html

                                  Manu (@manu, manutoys, vantiv)

                                  _|¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨|___________________|¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨|______________
                                  > __________

                                  100%_|¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨||¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 3 4:40 AM
                                    Hi Manu,

                                    I've had a look and I'm fairly sure that I can get the DigiSpeed-XL produce an
                                    RC signal that should work fine. I can add it as a mode selected by the mode
                                    jumpers.

                                    I have a question. Normally a pulse of 1.5ms centres the RC servo. 2mS is full
                                    CW. 1mS is full CCW.

                                    Do the RC motor controllers use 1mS as off and 2ms full throttle, or 1.5mS is
                                    off, 2mS is full throttle, and 1mS is full reverse.

                                    I ask this as there is the direction line into the DigiSpeed-XL. I can use
                                    this to put the motor controller into reverse (< 1.5ms)

                                    Or as I suspect, do some motor controllers use 1mS as off with no reverse and
                                    others operate as described as above?

                                    As I understand, a connection to the servo , or motor controller is by a 3
                                    wire connector, Gnd, +5V and the control signal. For the motor controllers,
                                    how much current does the +5V connector draw? For a standard servo, the +5V
                                    supplies the servo power. For a motor controller, my guess is that it supplies
                                    only a reference or just small amount for the logic circuitry.

                                    From my research, I can add a 3 pin header connector that the 3 pin servo
                                    cable can be plugged into.

                                    BTW, what sort of motor do the RC motor controller drive. I thought they were
                                    just small 400 series motors?

                                    I can probably have one ready in a couple of weeks if you are interested.

                                    Cheers,

                                    Peter.

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 3 5:00 AM
                                      Wayne,

                                      I'm sure you are correct. From memory, it is also how they set the off
                                      position as well.

                                      Cheers,

                                      Peter.

                                      Wayne Weedon wrote:
                                      > Peter Homann wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> Hi Manu,
                                      >>
                                      >> I've had a look and I'm fairly sure that I can get the DigiSpeed-XL produce an
                                      >> RC signal that should work fine. I can add it as a mode selected by the mode
                                      >> jumpers.
                                      >>
                                      >> I have a question. Normally a pulse of 1.5ms centres the RC servo. 2mS is full
                                      >> CW. 1mS is full CCW.
                                      >>
                                      >> Do the RC motor controllers use 1mS as off and 2ms full throttle, or 1.5mS is
                                      >> off, 2mS is full throttle, and 1mS is full reverse.
                                      >>

                                      > I think some of these will be a problem unless you can write a macro to
                                      > cycle the RC pwm to reset the speed controller out of failsafe.
                                      >
                                      > They tend to have a safety failsafe which requires the sticks to be
                                      > moved to various positions until bleeps are heard, only then is the
                                      > device armed.
                                      >
                                      > Some of these motors and controllers can produce wicked power! A
                                      > friend of mine competes at world level in f5b, and those brushless aveox
                                      > motors etc with 30 cells produce several horsepower.
                                      >
                                      > I may speak to a friend who designs his own brushed and brushless
                                      > controllers. He may be able to come up with something more suitable to
                                      > the cnc cause.
                                      >
                                      > Wayne....

                                      Web: www.homanndesigns.com
                                      email: homann@...
                                      Phone: +61 421 601 665
                                      www.homanndesigns.com/ModIO.html - Modbus Interface Unit
                                      www.homanndesigns.com/DigiSpeedDeal.html - DC Spindle control
                                      www.homanndesigns.com/TurboTaig.html - Taig Mill Upgrade board
                                    • Wayne Weedon
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 3 5:06 AM
                                        Peter Homann wrote:

                                        >Hi Manu,
                                        >
                                        >I've had a look and I'm fairly sure that I can get the DigiSpeed-XL produce an
                                        >RC signal that should work fine. I can add it as a mode selected by the mode
                                        >jumpers.
                                        >
                                        >I have a question. Normally a pulse of 1.5ms centres the RC servo. 2mS is full
                                        >CW. 1mS is full CCW.
                                        >
                                        >Do the RC motor controllers use 1mS as off and 2ms full throttle, or 1.5mS is
                                        >off, 2mS is full throttle, and 1mS is full reverse.

                                        I think some of these will be a problem unless you can write a macro to
                                        cycle the RC pwm to reset the speed controller out of failsafe.

                                        They tend to have a safety failsafe which requires the sticks to be
                                        moved to various positions until bleeps are heard, only then is the
                                        device armed.

                                        Some of these motors and controllers can produce wicked power! A
                                        friend of mine competes at world level in f5b, and those brushless aveox
                                        motors etc with 30 cells produce several horsepower.

                                        I may speak to a friend who designs his own brushed and brushless
                                        controllers. He may be able to come up with something more suitable to
                                        the cnc cause.

                                        Wayne....

                                        Wayne M Weedon Email: wayne@...
                                        Fdos Design Poole UK
                                        Tel +44-1202-677025 Fax +44-1202-770515 Mobile: 07774 439915

                                        Specialists in small batch & Production Mechanical/Electrical Engineering
                                      • Hugh Prescott
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 3 6:51 AM
                                          > Do the RC motor controllers use 1mS as off and 2ms full throttle, or
                                          > 1.5mS is
                                          > off, 2mS is full throttle, and 1mS is full reverse.

                                          The transmitters can be set either way to match up with the speed
                                          controller. I have never seen a standard published so you should
                                          probabbly design for either.

                                          Some do not have reverse and use the full span for forward, most are
                                          adjustable by using the ESC programing function built into most of the
                                          new ones.

                                          > As I understand, a connection to the servo , or motor controller is
                                          by a 3
                                          > wire connector, Gnd, +5V and the control signal. For the motor
                                          > controllers,
                                          > how much current does the +5V connector draw? For a standard servo,
                                          the +5V
                                          > supplies the servo power. For a motor controller, my guess is that it
                                          > supplies
                                          > only a reference or just small amount for the logic circuitry.

                                          Every speed controller I have tested or serviced has SUPPLIED 5 - 6
                                          volts on the +5 wire to run the receiver and other servos. This feature
                                          is called a BEC (Battery Elimnator Circut). Amp capacity ranges up to 1
                                          amp on some of the new ESCs.

                                          You do not need to (you may damage the ESC or BEC circut if you do)
                                          provide 5 volts to the ESC on the control cable just ground and the
                                          standard control signal.

                                          On our bench testers (my design, not commercially available) at work (we
                                          own a large hobby shop that does lots of repair work) I installed a
                                          separate lead for testing ESC's that does not provide 5 volts but
                                          instead applies a variable load and displays the BEC output voltage.

                                          Servo output pulse is a standard 5 volt pulse of 1 - 2 MS occuring every
                                          16 MS.

                                          Hugh
                                        • art
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 3 7:01 AM
                                            Hi Manu:

                                            If setting the scope to 2ms shows the right signal, and otrher setting do
                                            not, then the scope is confusing you a bit. (Mach's not going to change the
                                            signal based on the scope setting..:) )
                                            So it sounds liek you need a 25ms base PWM freq. So set it to 40hz. That
                                            at least will bring it in line. RC SErvos can be picky I thnk about the
                                            signal they recieve, the PWM is not really designed for them, all you can
                                            really do is experiment to see what the effect is. Hopefully youll find some
                                            setting of that which is usefull..

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 3 11:58 AM
                                              Ok Art, I will further investigate. I will keep you informed.

                                              Thanks a lot for answering my questions,

                                              Manu (@manu, manutoys, vantiv)

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jun 3 3:18 PM
                                                Art,

                                                The generated pulses ARE good! :-))) My mistake when testing it on a
                                                RC-servo was that I attached it to a separate 4.8V battery! When I use the 5
                                                V from the PC it works!! For now I only have 9 steps to move the servo in
                                                its full range. I will try to get a better resolution tomorrow. Its too late
                                                now, but I can dream now!

                                                Any suggestions from the others are wellcome,

                                                Thanks to all,

                                                Manu (@manu, manutoys, vantiv)

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jun 3 4:43 PM
                                                  You are right about the BEC and the ability to setup the controllers
                                                  in any fashion.

                                                  --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Hugh Prescott <hugh345@...>
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > > Do the RC motor controllers use 1mS as off and 2ms full
                                                  throttle, or
                                                  > > 1.5mS is
                                                  > > off, 2mS is full throttle, and 1mS is full reverse.
                                                  >
                                                  > The transmitters can be set either way to match up with the speed
                                                  > controller. I have never seen a standard published so you should
                                                  > probabbly design for either.
                                                  >
                                                  > Some do not have reverse and use the full span for forward, most
                                                  are
                                                  > adjustable by using the ESC programing function built into most of
                                                  the
                                                  > new ones.
                                                  >
                                                  > > As I understand, a connection to the servo , or motor controller
                                                  is
                                                  > by a 3
                                                  > > wire connector, Gnd, +5V and the control signal. For the motor
                                                  > > controllers,
                                                  > > how much current does the +5V connector draw? For a standard
                                                  servo,
                                                  > the +5V
                                                  > > supplies the servo power. For a motor controller, my guess is
                                                  that it
                                                  > > supplies
                                                  > > only a reference or just small amount for the logic circuitry.
                                                  >
                                                  > Every speed controller I have tested or serviced has SUPPLIED 5 - 6
                                                  > volts on the +5 wire to run the receiver and other servos. This
                                                  feature
                                                  > is called a BEC (Battery Elimnator Circut). Amp capacity ranges up
                                                  to 1
                                                  > amp on some of the new ESCs.
                                                  >
                                                  > You do not need to (you may damage the ESC or BEC circut if you do)
                                                  > provide 5 volts to the ESC on the control cable just ground and the
                                                  > standard control signal.
                                                  >
                                                  > On our bench testers (my design, not commercially available) at
                                                  work (we
                                                  > own a large hobby shop that does lots of repair work) I installed a
                                                  > separate lead for testing ESC's that does not provide 5 volts but
                                                  > instead applies a variable load and displays the BEC output voltage.
                                                  >
                                                  > Servo output pulse is a standard 5 volt pulse of 1 - 2 MS occuring
                                                  every
                                                  > 16 MS.
                                                  >
                                                  > Hugh

                                                • Peter Homann
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jun 3 5:14 PM
                                                    Hi Hugh,

                                                    Thanks for your reply. You have answered al my questions.

                                                    Many years ago when I was playing around with RC cars, the Speed controller I
                                                    used was an OS 19 motor. Messier than an EMC but a lot of fun mechanically.
                                                    :-) It was what got me into machining in the first place.

                                                    I built the 1/8 scale car from scratch. I used a PCB for the chassis to
                                                    provide the suspension.

                                                    Ah, the memories.

                                                    Cheers,

                                                    Peter.

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jun 4 10:01 AM
                                                      BTW Because if all the talk about RC Stuff I just looked at Castle
                                                      Creations Web Site after a few years. They have grown a lot and no
                                                      have a Beta Tester Program.
                                                      Maybe some of us would like to use their ESC in a non-traditional
                                                      setup might want to join this program.

                                                      http://www.castlecreations.com/information/beta_tester.html

                                                      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Peter Homann <groups@...> wrote:

                                                      > Hi Hugh,
                                                      >
                                                      > Thanks for your reply. You have answered al my questions.
                                                      >
                                                      > Many years ago when I was playing around with RC cars, the Speed
                                                      controller I
                                                      > used was an OS 19 motor. Messier than an EMC but a lot of fun
                                                      mechanically.
                                                      > :-) It was what got me into machining in the first place.
                                                      >
                                                      > I built the 1/8 scale car from scratch. I used a PCB for the
                                                      chassis to
                                                      > provide the suspension.
                                                      >
                                                      > Ah, the memories.

                                                    • Jerry Foster
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jun 4 11:11 AM
                                                        Has anyone used the 5 phase Vexta motors and drivers with Mach 3? I
                                                        assume they would work fine, but I thought I might check.

                                                        Jerry
                                                      • Robert Campbell
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jun 4 3:02 PM
                                                          Jerry,

                                                          They should work OK if you have the 5 phase drivers to go with them.

                                                          Bob Campbell
                                                          Bob Campbell Designs
                                                          www.Campbelldesigns.com
                                                          Mach 2/3 breakout boards
                                                          Relay boards
                                                          Spindle Speed boards
                                                          Stepper motors
                                                          Plasma Torch Height control

                                                          > Has anyone used the 5 phase Vexta motors and drivers with Mach 3? I
                                                          > assume they would work fine, but I thought I might check.
                                                          >
                                                          > Jerry
                                                          >

                                                          > www.machsupport.com - Web site Access
                                                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                        • WT
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jun 5 1:08 AM
                                                            I have one of those 5-phase Vexta motor with corresponding driver and they
                                                            do work very well with Mach3.

                                                            > They should work OK if you have the 5 phase drivers to go with them.
                                                            >
                                                            > Bob Campbell
                                                            > Bob Campbell Designs
                                                            > www.Campbelldesigns.com
                                                            > Mach 2/3 breakout boards
                                                            > Relay boards
                                                            > Spindle Speed boards
                                                            > Stepper motors
                                                            > Plasma Torch Height control

                                                          • nattyone960
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Jun 10 12:20 PM
                                                              wrote:

                                                              > Hi,
                                                              >
                                                              > From memory the RC servo signal is a PWM signal with a period of
                                                              20mS with
                                                              > the pulse varing from 1ms (Fully CCW) to 2ms fully (CW). centre
                                                              position
                                                              > (Off) has a pulse width of 1.5mS
                                                              >
                                                              > Mach is providing a PWM signal from 0 to 100% PWM for 0 to max
                                                              speed.

                                                              > So, you can generate the 50Hz PWM pulse stream in Mach by setting
                                                              the PWM
                                                              > base to 50.
                                                              >
                                                              > Assuming you have set th Mach kernel speed to 45KHz, you have 900
                                                              > (45,000/50) steps in your PWM signal.
                                                              >
                                                              > At most the signal you are varing from 1ms to 2ms pulse so you will
                                                              have
                                                              > 45 steps (900 steps/20ms) per ms.
                                                              >
                                                              > I'm not sure that 45 steps will be enough. Although you can look at
                                                              as 45
                                                              > pulley settings on your machine. Probably better than what you have
                                                              now,
                                                              > but not a great improvement.
                                                              >
                                                              > Then you would have to write a bit of macro code as you need to get
                                                              Mach
                                                              > to generate 1ms PWM pulse for zero speed, and a 2 ms pulse for max.
                                                              >

                                                              > On the other hand I could modify the software in the DigiSpeed to
                                                              produce
                                                              > the signal if there is enough interest.
                                                              >
                                                              > Cheers,
                                                              >
                                                              > Peter.

                                                              Peter I got hold of a Servo Tester and finally hooked up my ESC to a
                                                              Motor. The ESC I have can be configured in a number of ways.
                                                              It is not armed until it sees 4 second of brake.... Zero Throttle.
                                                              It will pulse at any one of three, pulse frequency but only operate
                                                              in either reverse of forward.

                                                              It will supply the 5 volts necessary for signal voltage but if the
                                                              motor requires over 10 cells then you will have to supply required 5
                                                              volts from elsewhere, as the on-board DC-DC will be overpowered. It
                                                              is also current limiting via setup.

                                                              Last week in the discussion I made an error in confusing a
                                                              Directional-Servo with a PWM-Motor. The Servo Tester+ Directional-
                                                              Servo setup would be necessary for Mach to control a Directional-
                                                              Servo when used as part of a 5-Axis Setup.

                                                              Mach should be able to control the throttle on the ESC merely by
                                                              eliminating the +-Red Wire of the ESC. For Directional changes I
                                                              think your modified ESC would be better.
                                                              I have not hooked it up to Mach yet but I might be able to this
                                                              evening.

                                                              My intention is to use a small Servo Motor Spindle+Directional-Servo
                                                              as part of a 5th Axis setup on the Micro Mill that I recently
                                                              purchased.
                                                              Regards