Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re: Rogers Encoder Interface

  • R Rogers
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1, 2006
      Bill,

      I sent this reply to your email earlier. Possibly it did not go through.

      /////////

      Bill,

      Lets take it from square one, so we haven't missed anything.

      1) You have a Breakout board connected to PC port 1 and you should have machine motion with that alone. All axis's should function properly as this has nothing to do with the encoder interface. Do you have normal machine operation from Port1/breakout board?

      2) You should have the second PCI port installed in the PC and addressed in Mach3 and it is communicating properly with Mach 3?

      3) The interface should be connected to this PC port 2 and connected to line voltage for powering of the interface.

      4) Your encoders should be wired to the interface per diagram on the PDF page 6 or 7 on the download page of the website.

      At this point, with everything fired up, you should see encoder activity on the "Settings" page of Mach 3. You don't need the macropump or any screenset to see the encoder activity. (We'll get to those shortly). Rotating the ballscrew and encoder while Mach is in reset and all boards fired up you should see the encoder DRO's on the settings page count up and down.

      5) Once encoder data is being displayed properly. It's time to use the macropump. Install it into the "Mach3 folder/macros folder/mach3mill folder" It has to be in that folder/directory or Mach3 will not use it. Just copy and paste it in there. In config /state in Mach3 check the "Run Macropump" feature. This will run the macropump. The macropump compares the Software DRO's on the program run screen with the encoder DRO's on the Settings screen. If there is a discrepancy between the two larger than the set "following error" on the settings page it will invoke a "Feedhold" thereby halting all motion until the situation is corrected.

      Note* The macropump is only supplied with the interface as it is proprietary to the interface. Originally it was on the website and folks were downloading it and trying to copy the interface. Emailing me for support. We spent a considerable amount of time getting changed in Mach3 and authoring the file. Leaving it out for general distribution was omitted. I apologize for leaving a link to it on the website. I'm going to change it this morning. I'll attach another copy of it to this EMail.

      6) Either of the screensets will work. Bitmaps not being displayed properly is an issue with the bitmaps not being in the correct folder.

      So let's just get the encoders counting up and down on their DRO's in MAch 3 and work from there.

      Let me know how you make out with that.

      Ron

      /////////

      pug_harley_corvette <bsouthnow@...> wrote:
      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "pug_harley_corvette"
      BUMP. Anyone gonna help?

      <bsouthnow@...> wrote:

      > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, R Rogers <rogersmach@> wrote:
      > Hey Guys;
      > Please don't get this wrong. I'm not saying your product is bad,
      I'm
      > just saying that I can't get it to work! And, I need help.
      > I've done everything step by step, that you have asked me to do in
      > your many email responses to me (again thanks).
      > I put the macropump into mach3mill and did the configuration setup
      > just as requested. I downloaded the art files and put those in the
      > main bitmap folder just as requested. I downloaded (from your
      email,
      > not from the website)the screen set (build7) and activated it just
      as
      > requested. It didn't work. I downloaded the enc002 screenset and
      it
      > kind of works. It is missing some of the buttons.
      > To let everyone see my results and maybe help out, I've put
      > screenshots into the photo section of my results thus far.
      > I also understand this is not plug and play and didn't expect it to
      > be. What I did expect was enough information to install it and get
      > it working without all of this effort. I kind of expected
      > installation instructions. Also, the needed support files which
      are
      > listed in your download section would be great, if the download
      > section did not download the same document for all files listed.
      You
> [...]
      > I know I'm a very small customer but I am a customer. Do you
      really
      > think I'd ask the public for help if your help had been
      adequate????
      > I have many hours in my control system (BTW, I was an electronics
      > technician in the Air Force, for 4 years and am a currently a
      > professional engineer so I do not lack intelligence) and don't want
      > to have to redesign my control system, much less loose many many
      many
      > hours of work that I have in the layout and wiring.
      > I'm sure the build will work since the designer is a well known
      > contributor to cnc control.
      > Guys, I know the product is OK and will work as designed. Thats
      all
      > I want.
      > Now to my last question and I'll refrain from anymore comment and
      > take what I've got.
      > Is there anyone out there who has this board working as advertised
      > using Mach 3???? It's a damn nice concept! If so, can you please
      > please share the art files, macropump file and screen set files
      with
      > me?
      > Thanks and sorry guys but I'm lost!
      > billyjack
      >

      > > Bill,
      > >
      > > I sent the macropump, screensets, bmp's and explained how to
      use
      > them. The bitmaps not displaying is because they are not in the
      > proper place within Mach3. Has nothing to do with the interface.
      > >
      > > The macropump is called "macropump.m1s". Build 7 and enc002 are
      > screensets.
      > >
      > > The macropump goes in Mach3/macros/Mach3mill. Then tick "Run
      > macropump" in Config/state.
      > >
      > > There is some minor configuration to installing it and getting
      it
      > operational. It is not "plug and play" nor is any hardware that
      work
      > with this type of system.
      > >
      > > Sorry, that you are having troubles. In no way would I want
      > someone to be unhappy with a purchase they have made from me. If
      you
      > can't get it sorted out and wish to do so, you may return it for a
      > full refund.
      > >
      > > Thanks, Ron
      > >
      > > pug_harley_corvette <bsouthnow@> wrote:
      > > Does anyone have a working driver file and art file for the
      > encoder
      > > interface card sold by rogersmachine for mach 3. I purcchased
      one
      > and
      > > can't get it working. People there, though trying to be helpful,
      > are
      > > not much help. All their documentation tells how great the thing
      is
      > but
      > > fails to tell how to install it or how to make it work. Heck,
      the
      > > download secion for the drivers and art files don't even work.
      All
      > > choices only download a single pdf file for the screen that I
      can't
      > > even get to work. I can print the document so I guess that's
      > something.
      > > I did have them send me the files and finally got the art files
      > > (screens) correct but he macropump (called build7) I think,
      doesn't
      > > even work. I gues they assume that we are all electronics and
      > computer
      > > experts. Been a bad scene for the last 5 days trying to get
      this
      > > thing working. I downlaoded the obsolete macropump form the site
      > > called enc002 (I guess for mach@) and it seems to work but the
      art
      > > files are wrong. I'm getting to the point of trashing the thing,
      > > taking the $130 loss and chault it up to experience.
      > > Any help is appreciated.
      > > billyjack
      > >

      > > www.machsupport.com - Web site Access

      > > Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Cnc controller
      > Mach2 Machine controller

      > Service.

      www.machsupport.com - Web site Access

      Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Cnc controller Mach2 Machine controller

    • pug_harley_corvette
      Message 2 of 19 , May 1, 2006
        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, R Rogers <rogersmach@...> wrote:
        Thanks again Ron;
        As I keep saying, I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to get
        this thing to work! I'm sure it will when installed properly, I just
        haven't figured it out yet!!!! I will do everything you listed, step
        by step and report. The instructions are good please publish them on
        your site once we complete this project. I'll work on it this
        weekend if not before. and let you know the results. Thanks again
        for your help.
        billyjack

        Message 3 of 19 , May 7, 2006
          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, R Rogers <rogersmach@...> wrote:
          >Hey Ron!
          The Saga continues. I did everything you requested and even
          uninstalled the parallel port drivers and re-installed everything.
          Still, not yet working (sorry to say). Update!
          1. When I go to the settings screen, the dro doesn't track or even
          move when I move the axis using jog. I checked the encoder output
          with a scope and nice square waves. The output of the encoder
          interface has the same output. Nice!
          2. As is said, I checked and reloaded the parallel port drivers and
          double checked the address. I activated the charge pump input on the
          EI board and got the click and light for output relay 4. Again, as
          should happen!!! Nice.
          3. I loaded Arts roadrunner and the machine tracks the program
          nicely. Looks like it's working. However, I load the enc002 screen
          (the other one - build seven- is screwed!) and the macro pump and
          the program doesn't run!!! Makes the first step on the z axis and
          give me the sync error. I gues it is because the dro on the settings
          screen is not tracking, in my small knowledge thus far. BTW, I have
          not changed any inputs for port 2. I can't ascertain from the
          direction in the pdf file if I should.
          I have really tried everything I know how but I still need your help
          which is SHOUTED... GREATLY APPREACIATED!!!!... (damn, I hope I
          spelled that right!!!). Best regards. And I promise that if I ever
          get this thing working, I'll rewrite all the instruction so you can
          post them.
          billyjack
          Thanks again!

          Message 4 of 19 , May 7, 2006
            pug_harley_corvette <bsouthnow@...> wrote: --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, R Rogers <rogersmach@...> wrote:
            >Hey Ron!
            The Saga continues. I did everything you requested and even
            uninstalled the parallel port drivers and re-installed everything.
            Still, not yet working (sorry to say). Update!
            1. When I go to the settings screen, the dro doesn't track or even
            move when I move the axis using jog. I checked the encoder output
            with a scope and nice square waves. The output of the encoder
            interface has the same output. Nice!
            2. As is said, I checked and reloaded the parallel port drivers and
            double checked the address. I activated the charge pump input on the
            EI board and got the click and light for output relay 4. Again, as
            should happen!!! Nice.
            3. I loaded Arts roadrunner and the machine tracks the program
            nicely. Looks like it's working. However, I load the enc002 screen
            (the other one - build seven- is screwed!) and the macro pump and
            the program doesn't run!!! Makes the first step on the z axis and
            give me the sync error. I gues it is because the dro on the settings
            screen is not tracking, in my small knowledge thus far. BTW, I have
            not changed any inputs for port 2. I can't ascertain from the
            direction in the pdf file if I should.

            /// Yes, you need to assign which pins the encoder signals will use. In Config/ports and pins/Encoder/MPG's, namely, encoders 1,2 and 3 must be enabled and the proper pins assigned for them. Example: enable encoder 1(green check) and enter the port number (#2), and for the pins, select any of these four combinations 2-3, 4-5, 6-7 or 8-9. You should see encoder activity by assigning one of these pin number combinations to each encoder. If you still see no encoder activity, make sure on the Ports and Pins menu that "Pins 2-9 as inputs" is checked for port two. If one of the encoder counts backwards, just swap the pin numbers for that axis..

            If the encoder is displaying on the wrong DRO, swap those pin numbers with the correct axis.

            Let's get encoders displaying then we'll tackle the screens and see what the problem is..

            Thanks, Ron

          • pug_harley_corvette
            Message 5 of 19 , May 8, 2006
              --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, R Rogers <rogersmach@...> wrote:
              >Ron!
              YU DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!
              Just a little bit closer. Encoders displaying as designed. That's
              all I had time for this morning, 5:30 am is a bit early to be doing
              this though, but sooo worth it!!!!
              Are we working on the displays next or is there more work to do? I
              haven't reloaded the macropump yet so I'll do that first thing next.
              It appeared to be working so maybe that will be an easy part.
              Are we going to try to get the build7 screen working or just repair
              the enc002 screen or do you have an updated one???
              Thanks again. It sure is easy once you know what to do and look for!
              Bill

              > pug_harley_corvette <bsouthnow@...> wrote: --- In
              mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, R Rogers <rogersmach@> wrote:
              > >Hey Ron!
              > The Saga continues. I did everything you requested and even
              > uninstalled the parallel port drivers and re-installed everything.
              > Still, not yet working (sorry to say). Update!
              > 1. When I go to the settings screen, the dro doesn't track or even
              > move when I move the axis using jog. I checked the encoder output
              > with a scope and nice square waves. The output of the encoder
              > interface has the same output. Nice!
              > 2. As is said, I checked and reloaded the parallel port drivers
              and
              > double checked the address. I activated the charge pump input on
              the
              > EI board and got the click and light for output relay 4. Again, as
              > should happen!!! Nice.
              > 3. I loaded Arts roadrunner and the machine tracks the program
              > nicely. Looks like it's working. However, I load the enc002
              screen
              > (the other one - build seven- is screwed!) and the macro pump and
              > the program doesn't run!!! Makes the first step on the z axis and
              > give me the sync error. I gues it is because the dro on the
              settings
              > screen is not tracking, in my small knowledge thus far. BTW, I
              have
              > not changed any inputs for port 2. I can't ascertain from the
              > direction in the pdf file if I should.
              >
              > /// Yes, you need to assign which pins the encoder signals will
              use. In Config/ports and pins/Encoder/MPG's, namely, encoders 1,2 and
              3 must be enabled and the proper pins assigned for them. Example:
              enable encoder 1(green check) and enter the port number (#2), and for
              the pins, select any of these four combinations 2-3, 4-5, 6-7 or 8-9.
              You should see encoder activity by assigning one of these pin number
              combinations to each encoder. If you still see no encoder activity,
              make sure on the Ports and Pins menu that "Pins 2-9 as inputs" is
              checked for port two. If one of the encoder counts backwards, just
              swap the pin numbers for that axis..

              > If the encoder is displaying on the wrong DRO, swap those pin
              numbers with the correct axis.

              > Let's get encoders displaying then we'll tackle the screens and
              see what the problem is..

              > Thanks, Ron

            • R Rogers
              Message 6 of 19 , May 8, 2006
                Bill,

                The macropump goes in Mach3/macros/mach3mill.. Then check "Run macropump" in Config/State.

                The screenset problems you're having is undoubtedly getting bitmaps to display properly, Here's an easy fix. Go into Bitmaps/Millbitmaps click "edit" "select all" then "copy" then go back to the Main Bitmap folder and "paste" then "Yes to all". This will make sure you have every bitmap in both folders. Then every screen should display properly.

                Thanks, Ron

                Message 7 of 19 , May 9, 2006
                  --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, R Rogers <rogersmach@...> wrote:
                  >Ron;
                  Everything loaded and the screen is now fine with the build7 set.
                  Hhowever, no manual screen was present as in build enc002. I guess
                  everything is working as it should. I found with the macropump
                  running (and maybe without), my encoders are bouncing up to .0010
                  which is enough to trip the EI to stop the program. Program won't
                  run due to sync errors. Is there a way to set the amount of error
                  allowed by the ei???? Any ideas or is this now a machine build
                  problem???
                  Thanks for all your help. It was very valuable and a great learning
                  experience!
                  billyjack

                  Message 8 of 19 , May 9, 2006
                    Bill,

                    On the "settings" screen, there is a DRO for "Following error" enter an error limit of a thousandth or two higher. And see what happens. Those are some pretty bouncy encoders. Sync error is because the encoders for some reason are bouncing past the set following error. Again, just raise it a bit and that should do it.

                    Thanks, Ron

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 9, 2006
                      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, R Rogers <rogersmach@...> wrote:
                      >Hey Ron;
                      I tried to change the DRO value initially but it is not letting me
                      select the dro for changing. It blinks white for an instant and then
                      reverts back to the original color and will not let me change the
                      default value of .0001. BTW, I have the encoder bounce down to less
                      than .0003 so if I can get the error raised, I think we'll be home
                      free. Also, I tried to change the value in both set and reset
                      modes. Is there some secret to changing the Following Error DRO???
                      Dang, almost there!
                      Thx
                      Me

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 9, 2006
                        Bill,

                        In Mach3 anytime you enter something in a DRO you must hit the "enter" key on the keyboard.

                        Don't worry, I made that same mistake early on :-)

                        Thanks, Ron