Re: How do you get a PCI Parallel card to work with Mach2/3?

  • robin_dempster
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2006
      Just put the address that you see under resources in device manager
      for that port, as an example I have a second parallel port, and device
      manager shows the address as A000, that is what I enter in Mach and it
      works perfectly.
      Hood
      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "kurt2cnc" <Kurt@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > This is my first post to this list. I have scoured the net for good
      > info on this and haven't yet succeeded. I have a Dell Dimension 3100
      > pentium 4, 2 GHz with 1 gig of ram in which I have placed a Startech
      > PCI1PECP parallel port card. I have checked the pins with a
      > multimeter and am getting a strong 5 volts from the required pins.
      > I'm running Windows XP and it has recognised the card and reports
      the
      > card is working properly. This is the only parallel port on the
      > computer as with most new computers these days loaded with USB
      ports.
      > I am having trouble getting the correct address for this port. When
      > first installed the computer assigns it LPT3 and DC088 or something
      > very close to that for the address. With standard addresses like
      > 0x378 and 0x278 I'm not sure what to put into Mach's config screen.
      > I'm assuming Mach 2 or 3 can recognise parallel ports on the PCI bus
      > as it is a modern program with recent updates and obviously built to
      > run on the new computers. When I use the arrow keys to jog the axis
      > in Mach 2, the DRO's on screen show change but no movement on the
      > actual axis. In Mach 3 I don't even get that. There really should be
      > a tutorial on just getting this up and running. By the way, I have
      > had the mill working with TurboCNC on an older PC with a built in
      > parallel port and running Windows98SE, just not as well as I would
      > like. I also liked what Mach2/3 had to offer. My mill is a Taig CNC
      > with a HobbyCNC controller and 270 oz steppers. It's brand new and I
      > have yet to do anything on it but testing.
      >
      > Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated as they say.
      >
      > Kurt

    • art
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2006
        Kurt:

        Watch the Mach3 download and setup video, it shows how to add the address
        you need to put in..

        Videos And Support Forums http://www.machsupport.com
        Users Map: http://www.frappr.com/machsupport
        > This is my first post to this list. I have scoured the net for good
        > info on this and haven't yet succeeded. I have a Dell Dimension 3100
        > pentium 4, 2 GHz with 1 gig of ram in which I have placed a Startech
        > PCI1PECP parallel port card. I have checked the pins with a
        > multimeter and am getting a strong 5 volts from the required pins.
        > I'm
      • kurt2cnc
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2006
          Hi Art,

          I've tried to view the video 3 times and also tried to download it. It either plays or
          downloads to about 1.5 MB and stops. I am on a Mac but I wouldn't think that should be a
          problem. I will try with a different browser and see if that helps.

          By the way, thanks for the info.

          Kurt
        • kurt2cnc
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2006
            Hi,

            I was able to try your instructions last night and I'm happy to say that in Mach2 at least I
            can jog the axis' til my hearts content. I entered the same thing in Mach3 but I can't even
            get Mach3 to respond to my keyboard. Unlike in Mach2, the DRO's don't show any
            movement. I am just setting up DSL tonight so maybe I'll be able to get the other
            nessessary setup I need for Mach3 in the Tutorial videos.

            Thanks for your help.

            Kurt

            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "robin_dempster" <robin/dorothy@...> wrote:

            > Just put the address that you see under resources in device manager
            > for that port, as an example I have a second parallel port, and device
            > manager shows the address as A000, that is what I enter in Mach and it
            > works perfectly.
            > Hood
          • art
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2006
              Hi Kurt:

              When in Mach3, press the tab key and make sure the Jog mode is set form
              continuous.
              Also try a typed MDI command to see if it trys to move. If not, the motors
              are likly not turned
              on in the config..