How do you get a PCI Parallel card to work with Mach2/3?

  • kurt2cnc
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2006
      Hi all,

      This is my first post to this list. I have scoured the net for good
      info on this and haven't yet succeeded. I have a Dell Dimension 3100
      pentium 4, 2 GHz with 1 gig of ram in which I have placed a Startech
      PCI1PECP parallel port card. I have checked the pins with a
      multimeter and am getting a strong 5 volts from the required pins.
      I'm running Windows XP and it has recognised the card and reports the
      card is working properly. This is the only parallel port on the
      computer as with most new computers these days loaded with USB ports.
      I am having trouble getting the correct address for this port. When
      first installed the computer assigns it LPT3 and DC088 or something
      very close to that for the address. With standard addresses like
      0x378 and 0x278 I'm not sure what to put into Mach's config screen.
      I'm assuming Mach 2 or 3 can recognise parallel ports on the PCI bus
      as it is a modern program with recent updates and obviously built to
      run on the new computers. When I use the arrow keys to jog the axis
      in Mach 2, the DRO's on screen show change but no movement on the
      actual axis. In Mach 3 I don't even get that. There really should be
      a tutorial on just getting this up and running. By the way, I have
      had the mill working with TurboCNC on an older PC with a built in
      parallel port and running Windows98SE, just not as well as I would
      like. I also liked what Mach2/3 had to offer. My mill is a Taig CNC
      with a HobbyCNC controller and 270 oz steppers. It's brand new and I
      have yet to do anything on it but testing.

      Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated as they say.

      Kurt
    • robin_dempster
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2006
        Just put the address that you see under resources in device manager
        for that port, as an example I have a second parallel port, and device
        manager shows the address as A000, that is what I enter in Mach and it
        works perfectly.
        Hood
        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "kurt2cnc" <Kurt@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > This is my first post to this list. I have scoured the net for good
        > info on this and haven't yet succeeded. I have a Dell Dimension 3100
        > pentium 4, 2 GHz with 1 gig of ram in which I have placed a Startech
        > PCI1PECP parallel port card. I have checked the pins with a
        > multimeter and am getting a strong 5 volts from the required pins.
        > I'm running Windows XP and it has recognised the card and reports
        the
        > card is working properly. This is the only parallel port on the
        > computer as with most new computers these days loaded with USB
        ports.
        > I am having trouble getting the correct address for this port. When
        > first installed the computer assigns it LPT3 and DC088 or something
        > very close to that for the address. With standard addresses like
        > 0x378 and 0x278 I'm not sure what to put into Mach's config screen.
        > I'm assuming Mach 2 or 3 can recognise parallel ports on the PCI bus
        > as it is a modern program with recent updates and obviously built to
        > run on the new computers. When I use the arrow keys to jog the axis
        > in Mach 2, the DRO's on screen show change but no movement on the
        > actual axis. In Mach 3 I don't even get that. There really should be
        > a tutorial on just getting this up and running. By the way, I have
        > had the mill working with TurboCNC on an older PC with a built in
        > parallel port and running Windows98SE, just not as well as I would
        > like. I also liked what Mach2/3 had to offer. My mill is a Taig CNC
        > with a HobbyCNC controller and 270 oz steppers. It's brand new and I
        > have yet to do anything on it but testing.
        >
        > Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated as they say.
        >
        > Kurt

      • art
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2006
          Kurt:

          Watch the Mach3 download and setup video, it shows how to add the address
          you need to put in..

          Videos And Support Forums http://www.machsupport.com
          Users Map: http://www.frappr.com/machsupport
          > This is my first post to this list. I have scoured the net for good
          > info on this and haven't yet succeeded. I have a Dell Dimension 3100
          > pentium 4, 2 GHz with 1 gig of ram in which I have placed a Startech
          > PCI1PECP parallel port card. I have checked the pins with a
          > multimeter and am getting a strong 5 volts from the required pins.
          > I'm
        • kurt2cnc
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2006
            Hi Art,

            I've tried to view the video 3 times and also tried to download it. It either plays or
            downloads to about 1.5 MB and stops. I am on a Mac but I wouldn't think that should be a
            problem. I will try with a different browser and see if that helps.

            By the way, thanks for the info.

            Kurt
          • kurt2cnc
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2006
              Hi,

              I was able to try your instructions last night and I'm happy to say that in Mach2 at least I
              can jog the axis' til my hearts content. I entered the same thing in Mach3 but I can't even
              get Mach3 to respond to my keyboard. Unlike in Mach2, the DRO's don't show any
              movement. I am just setting up DSL tonight so maybe I'll be able to get the other
              nessessary setup I need for Mach3 in the Tutorial videos.

              Thanks for your help.

              Kurt

              --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "robin_dempster" <robin/dorothy@...> wrote:

              > Just put the address that you see under resources in device manager
              > for that port, as an example I have a second parallel port, and device
              > manager shows the address as A000, that is what I enter in Mach and it
              > works perfectly.
              > Hood
            • art
              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2006
                Hi Kurt:

                When in Mach3, press the tab key and make sure the Jog mode is set form
                continuous.
                Also try a typed MDI command to see if it trys to move. If not, the motors
                are likly not turned
                on in the config..