Re: MPG and axis LEDs

  • John PRENTICE
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Panke" <charles@...>
      wrote:

      > seventysevende wrote:
      >
      > > Now I want to connect 4 LEDs to the parallel
      > > port which show the selected axis.
      > >
      > > How can I make the port bits high for the axes?
      >
      > Hmm, is it not possible? Or a secret?
      >
      > -C-H-A-R-L-E-S-

      The only Mach secrets are the bits one does not understand yet :=)

      Try the customize Wiki at

      http://tinyurl.com/oosau

      One sets up the desired pins as outputs and activates/deactivates
      them in the script.

      John Prentice

    • Charles Panke
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
        John PRENTICE wrote:

        Hi John,

        >>> How can I make the port bits high for the axes?
        > Try the customize Wiki at
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/oosau
        >
        > One sets up the desired pins as outputs and activates/deactivates
        > them in the script.

        Uh, that's a lot to learn.

        I'm stuck in the beginning.
        Where do I define which macro is executed when a pin gets high?
        What if the external button is not pressed, but the mode changes?
        Then the LEDs show something wrong.

        Is it not possible to assign a port's pin to an internal LED?

        I thought there is an existing solution.

        Thanks,
        -C-H-A-R-L-E-S-
      • John PRENTICE
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
          wrote:

          > <snip>
          >
          > Uh, that's a lot to learn.

          True - but then you are trying to develop software for a custom CNC
          controller and this really needs understanding.

          > I'm stuck in the beginning.
          > Where do I define which macro is executed when a pin gets high?

          There are two approaches. You can use your input pin that toggles the
          axes to run the OEM trigger macro (rather than cycling the button OEM
          code 175 for MPG1). This is illuistrated in section 4 of:

          http://tinyurl.com/97deq

          > What if the external button is not pressed, but the mode changes?
          > Then the LEDs show something wrong.

          The way to tackle this is to write a Macropump macro which inspects
          the chosen axis LEDs and reflects this by Activate/Deactivate calls
          for the output pins.

          A sequence of code for your 3 (4?) axes in Macropump.m1s like

          If GetOEMLED (59) Then ' MPG1 jogs X axis
          Call ActivateSignal (OUTPUT3) ' light real LED on panel
          Else
          Call DEActivateSignal (OUTPUT3)
          End If
          ' next do Y
          ' etc.

          should do the job.

          This of course replaces the code in the axis cycle OEM trigger macro
          mentioned above.

          > Is it not possible to assign a port's pin to an internal LED?
          > I thought there is an existing solution.

          No, not one known to me anyway.

          John Prentice
        • Charles Panke
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4, 2006
            John PRENTICE wrote:

            Hi John,

            thanks for your hints and tips, but...

            >> Uh, that's a lot to learn.
            >
            > True - but then you are trying to develop software for a custom CNC
            > controller and this really needs understanding.
            This was not my intention. I just wanted to connect an MPG and a bit more.

            > axes to run the OEM trigger macro
            Ah, click!

            >> What if the external button is not pressed, but the mode changes?
            >> Then the LEDs show something wrong.
            >
            > The way to tackle this is to write a Macropump macro which inspects
            Ah, ok.

            >> Is it not possible to assign a port's pin to an internal LED?
            >> I thought there is an existing solution.
            >
            > No, not one known to me anyway.
            Too bad.
            To assign a pin is a too special idea, but having the chance to call
            a macro when a software led toogles would be nice.

            ---

            In the meantime i decided to drop my plan to use real LEDs.
            Too much effort.
            I can look at the screen, that should be good enough.

            Thanks anyway,
            -C-H-A-R-L-E-S-
          • R Rogers
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 4, 2006
              Charles,

              I used external LED's on a panel. I used the HomannDesigns ModIO. It was pretty simple to do. Here are some pics of it:

              http://rogersmachine.net/console.html

              Some of it is done with the interface I sell, but most of it uses the ModIO. Very nice to use. It's been very reliable.

              Ron

              John PRENTICE wrote:

              Hi John,

              thanks for your hints and tips, but...

              >> Uh, that's a lot to learn.
              >
              > True - but then you are trying to develop software for a custom CNC
              > controller and this really needs understanding.
              This was not my intention. I just wanted to connect an MPG and a bit more.

              > axes to run the OEM trigger macro
              Ah, click!

              >> What if the external button is not pressed, but the mode changes?
              >> Then the LEDs show something wrong.
              >
              > The way to tackle this is to write a Macropump macro which inspects
              Ah, ok.

              >> Is it not possible to assign a port's pin to an internal LED?
              >> I thought there is an existing solution.
              >
              > No, not one known to me anyway.
              Too bad.
              To assign a pin is a too special idea, but having the chance to call
              a macro when a software led toogles would be nice.

              ---

              In the meantime i decided to drop my plan to use real LEDs.
              Too much effort.
              I can look at the screen, that should be good enough.

              Thanks anyway,
              -C-H-A-R-L-E-S-

              www.machsupport.com - Web site Access

            • Charles Panke
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 4, 2006
                R Rogers wrote:

                Hi Ron,

                > I used external LED's on a panel. I used the HomannDesigns ModIO. It
                > was pretty simple to do.
                I've seen the solution with the ModIO in the wiki.

                > http://rogersmachine.net/console.html
                Yes, this thing inspired me.

                In my shop the screen is 1280x1024. There is enough space to
                use software LEDs, that is easier for me.

                BTW, I like the /2 buttons on your screen.
                I'll steal them ;-)

                Thanks,
                -C-H-A-R-L-E-S-