missing steps

  • troyianni
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
      When I run the wizard programs such as text engraving, The steppers
      seem to miss steps even at slow speeds???
    • art
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
        Hi:

        Does it lose on other programs? Check the driover waveform, does it match
        the one in the setup video? You may have some sort of noise issue..

        Videos And Support Forums http://www.machsupport.com
        Users Map: http://www.frappr.com/machsupport
        > When I run the wizard programs such as text engraving, The steppers
        > seem to miss steps even at slow speeds???
        >

        > www.machsupport.com - Web site Access
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • troyianni
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
          Art,
          It does it in most programs, I also can't get a smooth circle or
          curved lettering. I carried out the driver test and it was a bit
          more eratic than on the setup video.
          Cheers mate.

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, art <fenerty@...> wrote:

          > Hi:
          >
          > Does it lose on other programs? Check the driover waveform, does
          it match
          > the one in the setup video? You may have some sort of noise issue..

          > www.artofcnc.ca
          >
          > Videos And Support Forums http://www.machsupport.com
          > Users Map: http://www.frappr.com/machsupport

        • art
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2006
            Troy:

            So if you do a long straight line, do you hear ticking or anything?
            If you do a G12I5 does the resultant circle also come out non-smooth?

            Videos And Support Forums http://www.machsupport.com
            Users Map: http://www.frappr.com/machsupport
            > It does it in most programs, I also can't get a smooth circle or
            > curved lettering. I carried out the driver test and it was a bit
            > more eratic than on the setup video.
            > Cheers mate.
            >

            > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, art <fenerty@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hi:
            >>
            >> Does it lose on other programs? Check the driover waveform, does
            > it match
            >> the one in the setup video? You may have some sort of noise issue..
            >>
            >> Thanks,
            >> Art
            >> www.artofcnc.ca
            >>
            >> Videos And Support Forums http://www.machsupport.com
            >> Users Map: http://www.frappr.com/machsupport

          • chewysphone
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 8, 2006
              OK, i'm working on a project and have a bit of a possible problem
              and was curious as to mach3/4's possible errors, also this is in the
              setup stage and has not been implimented yet. anyway here is the
              setup, 2 servo drives, one axis is always the same, the second axis
              the program will change. now comes the possible problem, the axis
              the is always the same has a very very good posibility of missing a
              lot of steps. in fact i would go as far as say that there may be a
              30% to 40% loss of steps. now comes the interesting part of the
              equation, the other axis will more than likely be extremely precise
              and hopefully never miss a step, ok that isn't likely but hopefully
              very very few. my question is with mach3 can you setup an error
              rate per axis per step in percentages to stop? an example of what i
              would consider out of bounds is below

              ok
              axis a has a 22% error rate (acceptable because it is below the 40%)
              axis b has a .001% error rate (acceptable)

              not ok
              axis a has a 22% error rate (acceptable because it is below the 40%)
              axis b has a 3% error rate (not acceptable)

              can mach3/4 be setup to accomplish this task?

              thanks
            • art
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 9, 2006
                Hi:

                Within certain bounds yes. Mach can read an encoder value. It can compare
                that value to the requested position and you can set a logical operation on
                the comparison. You have to know VB scripting to do this though.. And the
                chekcing is at about 5hz..

                Videos And Support Forums http://www.machsupport.com
                Users Map: http://www.frappr.com/machsupport
                > OK, i'm working on a project and have a bit of a possible problem
                > and was curious as to mach3/4's possible errors, also this is in the
                > setup stage and has not been implimented yet. anyway here is the
                > setup, 2 servo drives, one axis is always the same, the second axis
                > the program will change. now comes the possible problem, the axis
                > the is always the same has a very very good posibility of missing a
                > lot of steps. in fact i would go as far as say that there may be a
                > 30% to 40% loss of steps. now comes the interesting part of the
                > equation, the other axis will more than likely be extremely precise
                > and hopefully never miss a step, ok that isn't likely but hopefully
                > very very few.
              • troyianni
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 9, 2006
                  G'day Art,
                  I'm still having trouble with missing steps, I have done the driver
                  tests and done the driver change but it makes no difference. I have
                  slowed the motor speeds right down and it has helped a bit, it mainly
                  occurs when it is trying to rapid traverse 2 axix at once. I am
                  starting to wonder if the computer just cant handle it. It is a 1ghz
                  cpu with about 256 mb ram. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
                  Thanks mate.

                  Troy....
                • Olivier
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 9, 2006
                    Wich drivers are you using ? Seems more like a driver, electrical noise, or
                    power supply problem more than a software problem.

                    A good test is to try to run your steppers at full speed (speed setting at
                    full position), with a low acceleration.

                    If your motor cannot run at full speed (1350 RPM at 45 Khz) when they are
                    mechanically not loaded (dismounted), then there is certainly a driver
                    problem.

                    This test is for 1/10 microstep ratio, if your drivers are using a different
                    ratio or full step, then divide the max speed tuning setting to get 1350
                    RPM. That means that for a full step system you'll need to set max speed to
                    1/10 of the max value.
                    This is always for 45 KHz mode.

                    Most Nema34 steppers or smaller motors are able to run at 1350 RPM with a
                    good driver.

                    If your drivers are not microstep and chopper, then you should perhaps
                    upgrade.

                    Full step or half systems are often difficult to tune, because the drivers
                    need to be perfectly matched with motors. Even with a good tuning, they are
                    subject to mechanical resonances, causing lost steps.

                    Microstep chopped drivers are really more tolerant. This is the way to go
                    for a reliable stepper system.

                    Olivier.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 9, 2006
                      Newer PCs can be a problem because the parallel port outputs 3.3V
                      signals now instead of the expected 5V outputs.

                      You can test your port to see if it's 3.3V or 5V by connecting a
                      multimeter set to "DC volts" to an axis "direction" output pin. Cause
                      Mach3 to jog CW and note the voltage, then jog CCW and note the voltage
                      again.

                      What you want to see is 0 volts and 5 volts; if you see 0 volts and 3.3
                      volts then you have a 3.3V port. The cure is to use a breakout board
                      that buffers the outputs to a 0V/5V swing.

                      Mariss

                      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "troyianni" <troyianni@...> wrote:

                      > G'day Art,
                      > I'm still having trouble with missing steps, I have done the driver
                      > tests and done the driver change but it makes no difference. I have
                      > slowed the motor speeds right down and it has helped a bit, it mainly
                      > occurs when it is trying to rapid traverse 2 axix at once. I am
                      > starting to wonder if the computer just cant handle it. It is a 1ghz
                      > cpu with about 256 mb ram. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
                      > Thanks mate.
                      >
                      > Troy....

                    • julie ruzzo
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 10, 2008
                        Hi Every one,

                        I'm missing steps in they X- what will make this happen. looks like its only in the X

                        THANKS TOM

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 10, 2008
                          Hello Tom,
                          Back down the Accel 25% and retest ... also you could take down the max
                          velocity...

                          julie ruzzo wrote:
                          > Hi Every one,
                          >
                          > I'm missing steps in they X- what will make this happen. looks like its only in the X
                          >

                          > THANKS TOM

                        • BOB
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 4, 2014
                            Has anyone used the INTEL MINI-ITX mother board with the ATOM processor.
                            I just started using one and it is missing steps when it does a fast
                            move where the F is set to50 or above. When it is down at 35 it seems
                            to work OK.

                            Any other suggestions on what to look at?

                            Bob
                          • han
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 4, 2014
                              Very unlikely its related to motherboard.

                              You mechanics and or tuning is likely wrong.
                              Try to drop acceleration to 1/3 of current.

                              IF the problem goes away, its not the MB.

                              --
                              -hanermo (cnc designs)