Re: OT rack and pinion Question

  • caudlet
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2006
      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Taylor" <randyt26@y...>
      wrote:

      > Sorry for the off topic Question,
      >
      > I am building the machine tool camp router and the drive system is rack
      > and pinion with 3.75 to belt reduction. The rack is 12 teeth per inch
      > with 12 pitch and the pinion is 12 pitch and 12 teeth. would one a
      > revolution of the pinion be 1 inch? Could a servo drive this with just
      > 3.75 to one reduction?
      > Sorry for the questions .
      > Randy

      One rotation of the pinion engages 12 teeth and should result in 1" of
      movement. A 3.75 reduction means one rev of the motor would then
      result in .2666 inches of movement. Now let's assume you want to run
      your motor in the center of it's torque range and you have a 1500 RPM
      motor. So the target is 750 RPM. At 750 RPM you will have a
      respectable 200 IPM. A good speed for plamsa cutting, but a bit fast
      for smaller router cutting.

      All of the above makes certain assumptions about your motors. IF they
      were to be higher RPM models and the center of the range is 1500 RPM
      then you would really have to slow the RPM down for cutting at say 45
      to 60 IPM.
      Based on what you told us the combination could be from fair to poor
      for a router application. What are the motors rated at for voltage
      and torque? How heavy is your gantry? Are the slides low friction?

      Never apologize for asking a question. I opens the floor for
      discussion and many others learn from it.
    • Randall Taylor
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
        Caudlet
        well the kit specifies for 400 -700 Oz-in steppers, I belive he sells the servo info seperatly. I would expect the gantry to way about 75Lbs and I am using thk linear slides on all axis's. The spindle is a hitachi router. Thanks for confirming the ratio
        wrote:

        > Sorry for the off topic Question,
        >
        > I am building the machine tool camp router and the drive system is rack
        > and pinion with 3.75 to belt reduction. The rack is 12 teeth per inch
        > with 12 pitch and the pinion is 12 pitch and 12 teeth. would one a
        > revolution of the pinion be 1 inch? Could a servo drive this with just
        > 3.75 to one reduction?
        > Sorry for the questions .
        > Randy

        One rotation of the pinion engages 12 teeth and should result in 1" of
        movement. A 3.75 reduction means one rev of the motor would then
        result in .2666 inches of movement. Now let's assume you want to run
        your motor in the center of it's torque range and you have a 1500 RPM
        motor. So the target is 750 RPM. At 750 RPM you will have a
        respectable 200 IPM. A good speed for plamsa cutting, but a bit fast
        for smaller router cutting.

        All of the above makes certain assumptions about your motors. IF they
        were to be higher RPM models and the center of the range is 1500 RPM
        then you would really have to slow the RPM down for cutting at say 45
        to 60 IPM.
        Based on what you told us the combination could be from fair to poor
        for a router application. What are the motors rated at for voltage
        and torque? How heavy is your gantry? Are the slides low friction?

        Never apologize for asking a question. I opens the floor for
        discussion and many others learn from it.

        www.machsupport.com - Web site Access

        Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Cnc controller Mach2 Machine controller