Re: keyboard emulator

  • justjuha
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
      Thanks Folks!

      Jeff, you wrote "I would consider
      connecting the N.C. contacts in series with your E-Stop button(s)"
      How can you jog of from the limit switch if triggered?

      Les, you wrote "KeyGrabber has the added advantage that you can route
      keyboard emulator keys directly to Mach2 even if Mach2 is not in the
      foreground."
      How it is then possible to operate with normal keyboard e.g when
      editing a part program, if every keystokes go to the Mach? The
      KeyGrabber/Mach can not know whether the keystrokes are coming from
      the emulator or the keyboard, can it?

      Fred, you wrote"I
      have decided to take on the task of programming an Atmel
      microprocesor to emulate a keyboard just for a cnc machine
      controller."
      This looks really nice. It would be great to have an emulator which
      is dedicated for the Mach. Just like Tom C. has done the torch height
      control. I'm looking forward to hear more about your project. Once it
      is ready will you sell it (worldwide, I live on the other side of
      Atlantic ocean, Finland) for the reasonable price or will you just
      publish the instructions?

      Terveisin,
      Juha
    • Mika Salmi
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
        Hi Juha,

        For limits connected in E-Stop you need have "overide" push button which
        closes limit switch loop as long you push that button.
        I have limits just like this, you just need to be very carefylly to jog
        right direction from switch.
        In my setup hardware limit switch are only in E-Stop loop and Mach have one
        input used when E-Stop is activated.
        After homing softlimits keeps you away from limits but if something brokes
        eg. encoder etc. and you have servomotor runaway then switch trips E-Stop
        and motor power is cut off.

        With KeyGrabber you need to program codes which are normaly not used in
        keyboard eg. Alt+Shift+X .

        Les, do you have example of 'digital pot' type encoder?
        The ones I did find were very expensive ones, are these available in low
        cost?

        Regards Mika ( also from Finland )

        > connecting the N.C. contacts in series with your E-Stop button(s)"
        > How can you jog of from the limit switch if triggered?
        >
        > Les, you wrote "KeyGrabber has the added advantage that you can route
        > keyboard emulator keys directly to Mach2 even if Mach2 is not in the
        > foreground."
        > How it is then possible to operate with normal keyboard e.g when
        > editing a part program, if every keystokes go to the Mach? The
        > KeyGrabber/Mach can not know whether the keystrokes are coming from
        > the emulator or the keyboard, can it?
        >
        > Fred, you wrote"I
        > have decided to take on the task of programming an Atmel
        > microprocesor to emulate a keyboard just for a cnc machine
        > controller."
        > This looks really nice. It would be great to have an emulator which
        > is dedicated for the Mach. Just like Tom C. has done the torch height
        > control. I'm looking forward to hear more about your project. Once it
        > is ready will you sell it (worldwide, I live on the other side of
        > Atlantic ocean, Finland) for the reasonable price or will you just
        > publish the instructions?
        >
        > Terveisin,
        > Juha
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Les Newell
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
          Hi Juha,

          You can tell KeyGrabber what keys to route to Mach2. If you set up your
          emulator to use key codes that are not on a standard keyboard then they
          can be routed without affecting normal keyboard operation. KG can also
          translate these non standard key codes as it routes them.

          For instance if you set up Mach2 to use <ctrl>S to start the program and
          set up one of the emulator inputs to generate extended scan code 290
          (the CD play button on a multimedia keyboard), you can get KeyGrabber to
          grab that key code and convert it to <ctrl>S. As far as Mach2 is
          concerned you are pressing <ctrl>S whenever you put a signal into the
          emulator input.

          KG has a built in programmer for Ultimarc IPac emulators that will
          program all inputs with non-standard key codes.

          Les

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
          • wn0ane2000
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
              HI Jaha.
              A good link for free software and hardware Ideas is
              http://w1.132.telia.com/~u13205992/buttonbox/index.htm
              If It is okay with Art I will post any files that may help anybody.
              I am now working on the keyboard matrix pcp board 5x10. Fifty keys
              should be enough. Am waiting for some small collets I ordered for
              my bridgeport. To mill out the pcboards. If anybody wants they may
              have the Gcode files when I have had a chance to test them out.
              I have not been able to Email Art direct, suspect it is the spam
              filter on my ISP. So Art if you read this can you try and Email me
              a test email and let me know if it gets kicked back. If it does I
              will call my ISP to see what can be done. I need to buy a Mach2
              license from you.
              Fred
              Arrowhead Mach.

              In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "justjuha" <juha.keisala@n...>
              wrote:
              > Thanks Folks!
              >
              > Jeff, you wrote "I would consider
              > connecting the N.C. contacts in series with your E-Stop button(s)"
              > How can you jog of from the limit switch if triggered?
              >
              > Les, you wrote "KeyGrabber has the added advantage that you can
              route
              > keyboard emulator keys directly to Mach2 even if Mach2 is not in
              the
              > foreground."
              > How it is then possible to operate with normal keyboard e.g when
              > editing a part program, if every keystokes go to the Mach? The
              > KeyGrabber/Mach can not know whether the keystrokes are coming
              from
              > the emulator or the keyboard, can it?
              >
              > Fred, you wrote"I
              > have decided to take on the task of programming an Atmel
              > microprocesor to emulate a keyboard just for a cnc machine
              > controller."
              > This looks really nice. It would be great to have an emulator
              which
              > is dedicated for the Mach. Just like Tom C. has done the torch
              height
              > control. I'm looking forward to hear more about your project. Once
              it
              > is ready will you sell it (worldwide, I live on the other side of
              > Atlantic ocean, Finland) for the reasonable price or will you just
              > publish the instructions?
              >
              > Terveisin,
              > Juha
            • washcomp
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
                Juha:

                To jog off the limit switches, you must hook a N.O. switch across
                the limit switches and E-stops. I have requested that Art allow
                an "ACTIVATION" signal to be sent when the reset is hit with limits
                override set on MACH2 so that a relay contact can handle this (same
                N.O. switch would input signal to keyboard emulator and the
                activated relay contact could be at other end of tool - saves on
                complexity of wiring harness).

                Regards,
                Jeff

                wrote:
                > Thanks Folks!
                >
                > Jeff, you wrote "I would consider
                > connecting the N.C. contacts in series with your E-Stop button(s)"
                > How can you jog of from the limit switch if triggered?
                >
                > Les, you wrote "KeyGrabber has the added advantage that you can
                route
                > keyboard emulator keys directly to Mach2 even if Mach2 is not in
                the
                > foreground."
                > How it is then possible to operate with normal keyboard e.g when
                > editing a part program, if every keystokes go to the Mach? The
                > KeyGrabber/Mach can not know whether the keystrokes are coming
                from
                > the emulator or the keyboard, can it?
                >
                > Fred, you wrote"I
                > have decided to take on the task of programming an Atmel
                > microprocesor to emulate a keyboard just for a cnc machine
                > controller."
                > This looks really nice. It would be great to have an emulator
                which
                > is dedicated for the Mach. Just like Tom C. has done the torch
                height
                > control. I'm looking forward to hear more about your project. Once
                it
                > is ready will you sell it (worldwide, I live on the other side of
                > Atlantic ocean, Finland) for the reasonable price or will you just
                > publish the instructions?
                >
                > Terveisin,
                > Juha
              • wn0ane2000
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
                  Hi,
                  I was under the impression that Mach2 tracks the direction that
                  mach2 was moving when the limit switch was hit. It will then allow
                  the operator to manualy jog off from the limit switch.
                  On the keyboard emulator I have allowed for a conection to hook up
                  to one of the contacts on the e-stop switch. Which will then send a
                  stop to the mach2 software. Another contact on the e-stop should be
                  conected to a relay turning off power to the machines main functions.
                  Fred

                • Art
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
                    Hi

                    > I was under the impression that Mach2 tracks the direction that
                    > mach2 was moving when the limit switch was hit. It will then allow
                    > the operator to manualy jog off from the limit switch.

                    What Mach2 really does, is turn off limit switch sensing when you press
                    reset while a limit is active. The limit switch sensing automatically
                    reenables when you jog off the offending switch. This means Mach does does
                    not which direction is safe, it is left to the operator to ensure he joggs
                    off the switch in the right direction.
                    This was a necessary compromise in the design to allow multiplexing of the
                    switches to one pin. This also makes it much easier to recover from noise on
                    a limit switch line as you don't get locked into unidirectional requirements
                    when resetting such a problem.

                    Thanks, Just a clarification..
                    Art (A little less fuzzy....)
                  • fparker
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
                      Hi
                      Thank you for the info I see how easy it would be to implement. When I make up my pcb for the encoder I will still leave the A/D pins open to use a common potentimeter pot for feed rate over ride.. Will use the encoder system until the soft ware is complete.
                      .
                      What really got me motivated for this project is a friend of mine has an Ajax aka Centriod control and Ajax wants $600.00+ for a pendant. I plan on calling my ISP tomorrow and setting up a web site to share these files. For the home machinest hobbyest.
                      Fred
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
                        Hi Les,

                        Thank you for help,
                        After getting manufacturers ref number I did find these from my local
                        suplier.
                        I was just looking them in wrong name.

                        Thanks,

                        Mika