Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Cutter comp and tool selection

  • Servo Wizard
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2003
      T1
      G1 G41 D1
      ... cut stuff...
      G40

    • Art
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
        Dave:

        A T1 command only is an istruction for a turret to ready that bit. You
        need an M6 to actually switch to that bit. In the case of G41, you should
        use G41Dn as the tool selector because G41 doesn't actually need to switch
        to that bit, but only wants to use the diamter of that bit as information. I
        would simply use the G41Dn command and forget the TnM6 command altogether.

        The interpreter is very sensiive to size, but in the case of convex
        arc's, check the "ignore gouging checks" in the logic page and you'll be
        fine, be warned though that with the gouging checks turned off it will screw
        up on concave curves, which cannot be done with compensation...

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • piggy
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
          i think you need a " d " word after a g41 to tell it what tool diameter
          offset to use ( as servo said ) if you do a
          m6 ( tool change ) t1 ( tool 1 ) g41 ( cutter comp ) d1 ( diameter of tool
          one in tool table )

          to use tool 3 would be:
          m6 ( tool change ) t3 ( tool 3 ) g41 ( cutter comp ) d3 ( diameter of tool
          three in tool table )

          it should then work

          Don T.
          EVO Power & Machine
          www.accessatc.net/~piggy
          www.snartracing.com

          ---

        • dtplain
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
            I was thinking that G41 would automatically use the currently active
            tool.

          • Art
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
              Dave:

              >>> I was thinking that G41 would automatically use the currently active
              > tool.

              In a perfect world, it probably would. ;) , however, the spec of the G41
              command is such that it is able to use any tooltable entry without having to
              use the tool itself. So a D word is necessary unless you use an M6 to change
              to to a new tool. Not using a D word will use the last M6 tool entry. A T
              word is really meant to tell the "T"urret to move to a new position for an
              upcoming tool change. It really has no other meaning in a literal sense or
              in the state of the interpreter.

              Its best to consider the interpreter as a "state" machine. That is to say
              it is a large control panel with hundreds of switches. Each switch sets a
              particular state and the X,Y,Z, A,B and C words simply call for a move in
              the current state. The T word is a switch that controls the turret. An M6
              switch is the one that actually puts the turret tool into the spindle..
              This is why a command like "X10" will sometimes move the X to 10, and
              sometimes not. The G0 and G1 switches will put the machine into a "move"
              state where "X10" can be interpreted, while a "G80" switch will put the
              interpreter into a "no-movement" state where a "X10" will do nothing. (G80
              is the default turn-on state by the way..). Complex I know, but such is the
              world of a CNC interpreter..

              (Anyone else kinda fuzzy out there this morning......)

            • piggy
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
                art i am always fuzzy in the mornings .

                thanks for all the work on mach , i hope to soon order my registered copy
                ( finances are short lol )

                Don T.
                EVO Power & Machine
                www.accessatc.net/~piggy