Re: Migration from Mach2 to Mach3 has me stumped - very simple requirements

  • gerald_dorrington
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
      I vaguely remember something similar in my case and I think it was
      because steps and direction have their pin numbers reversed from one
      version to the other?????

      Gerald

      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "David Morrow"
      <morrow2002@l...> wrote:

      > I have a nicely working Mach2 installation but trying to get Mach3
      > working is, well, just not working.
      >
      > My setup is very simple. I have a Soundlogic breakout board and
      Gecko
      > G201's. No limit or home switches yet. No Estop switch either.
      >
      > Presumably, all I have to do is set the pins and ports for the
      motors,
      > set the motor tuning, and set the hotkeys so I can jog the motors
      with
      > the cursor keys and Pgup & Pgdown keys. I set the mandatory Estop
      > setting to ActiveLow which, according to the video tutorial is
      > necessary if no Estop switch is present. No LED's lit on the
      > diagnostics screen that shouldn't be as far as I can tell. Sounds
      > simple but nothing is working other than the cursor keys will make
      the
      > DRO's change.
      >
      > Any suggestions ???

    • JCullins
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
        David,
        It is mandatory to have ESTOP enabled however ESTOP can be either active low or active high. It depends on what you are connected into.
        With the Sound Logic board check it to active high. This way if there is nothing connected you can't reset the Estop which alerts you that something is a miss .
        Check STEP pins to active low if you are using Geckos.
        If you still have problems let me know and I will send you and XML. If fact send me yours and I
        will make any changes to make it work and send it back. This way you preserve your motor tune settings.
        Jim Cullins
        Sound Logic
        I have a nicely working Mach2 installation but trying to get Mach3
        working is, well, just not working.

        My setup is very simple. I have a Soundlogic breakout board and Gecko
        G201's. No limit or home switches yet. No Estop switch either.

        Presumably, all I have to do is set the pins and ports for the motors,
        set the motor tuning, and set the hotkeys so I can jog the motors with
        the cursor keys and Pgup & Pgdown keys. I set the mandatory Estop
        setting to ActiveLow which, according to the video tutorial is
        necessary if no Estop switch is present. No LED's lit on the
        diagnostics screen that shouldn't be as far as I can tell. Sounds
        simple but nothing is working other than the cursor keys will make the
        DRO's change.

        Any suggestions ???

        www.machsupport.com - Web site Access

        Mach2 Machine controller

      • art
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
          Hi David:

          Check carefully your ports&Pins setup, if the DRO's are moving, then the
          motors shoudl be as well. Also check there is a pulse frequency listed on
          the Diags tab of the program, if it is showing a pulse frequency (should be
          around 25000 ), then the motors shoudl be running, but your pin for step and
          direction may be reversed.

          ( I think Soundlogic have a Mach3 setup file at this point, you may want to
          ask Bob...)

          Videos And Support Forums http://www.machsupport.com
          Users Map: http://www.frappr.com/machsupport
          >I have a nicely working Mach2 installation but trying to get Mach3
          > working is, well, just not working.
          >
          > My setup is very simple. I have a Soundlogic breakout board and Gecko
          > G201's. No limit or home switches yet. No Estop switch either.

        • Robert Campbell
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
            Art,

            We have the Mach 3 XML files on the download section of my web page. It is
            in Zip format and also includes the screen snapshots.

            Bob Campbell
            Bob Campbell Designs
            www.Campbelldesigns.com
            Mach 2/3 breakout boards
            Relay boards
            Spindle Speed boards
            Stepper motors
            Plasma Torch Height control

            > Check carefully your ports&Pins setup, if the DRO's are moving, then the
            > motors shoudl be as well. Also check there is a pulse frequency listed on
            > the Diags tab of the program, if it is showing a pulse frequency (should
            > be
            > around 25000 ), then the motors shoudl be running, but your pin for step
            > and
            > direction may be reversed.
            >
            > ( I think Soundlogic have a Mach3 setup file at this point, you may want
            > ask Bob...)

            > www.artofcnc.ca
            >
            > Videos And Support Forums http://www.machsupport.com
            > Users Map: http://www.frappr.com/machsupport

          • David Morrow
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
              Bob, I checked your website. That's where I got the xml file for Mach2
              and it was just perfect. But apparently the Mach2 file won't work with
              Mach3.

              As it turns out, Barker806 posted an xml file for Mach3/Soundlogic
              which worked for me. I just need to fine tune the motors now.

              It would appear that since I don't have any limit switches setup yet,
              a lot of the settings much be checked for ActiveLow (my assumption
              from a very brief look at the configuration screens).

              But in any event, I am now operational in Mach3 and I'm also reading
              the other posts here as they are all pointing me to a bit of higher
              education.

              Thanks everyone, very much appreciated !

              David Morrow

              --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Campbell" <bob@c...> wrote:

              > Art,
              >
              > We have the Mach 3 XML files on the download section of my web page.
              It is
              > in Zip format and also includes the screen snapshots.
              >
              > Bob Campbell
              > Bob Campbell Designs
              > www.Campbelldesigns.com
              > Mach 2/3 breakout boards
              > Relay boards
              > Spindle Speed boards
              > Stepper motors
              > Plasma Torch Height control

            • David Morrow
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
                Oops, Bob I just went back and checked one more time. I got thrown a
                bit as the Mach2 xml file was up top and the Mach3 below. Putting the
                screen snapshots is a bright idea; I like it.

                I'll check a bit closer next time - will save me a lot of grief and
                many bad, bad words.

                wrote:

                > Bob, I checked your website. That's where I got the xml file for Mach2
                > and it was just perfect. But apparently the Mach2 file won't work with
                > Mach3.
                >
                > As it turns out, Barker806 posted an xml file for Mach3/Soundlogic
                > which worked for me. I just need to fine tune the motors now.
                >
                > It would appear that since I don't have any limit switches setup yet,
                > a lot of the settings much be checked for ActiveLow (my assumption
                > from a very brief look at the configuration screens).
                >
                > But in any event, I am now operational in Mach3 and I'm also reading
                > the other posts here as they are all pointing me to a bit of higher
                > education.
                >
                > Thanks everyone, very much appreciated !
                >
                > David Morrow
                >
                > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Campbell" <bob@c...>
                wrote:

                > > Art,
                > >
                > > We have the Mach 3 XML files on the download section of my web page.
                > It is
                > > in Zip format and also includes the screen snapshots.
                > >
                > > Bob Campbell
                > > Bob Campbell Designs
                > > www.Campbelldesigns.com
                > > Mach 2/3 breakout boards
                > > Relay boards
                > > Spindle Speed boards
                > > Stepper motors
                > > Plasma Torch Height control

              • Robert Campbell
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
                  David,

                  You are correct. A mach2 XML file will not work with Mach3. In fact Mach3
                  should give you a warning.

                  There should be a proper Mach3 XML file on my web page along with the screen
                  snapshots. Look under downloads.

                • barker806
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
                    I have put one on the other forum for people that have a BP series1 here :
                    http://machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=65.0

                    Hope that will help out a few others out there.