Parker Hannifin CD20 drives with Mach3

  • corey94945
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hi guys, this is my first CNC project and I need some help.

      I accidentally bought a Denford Easimill 3 cnc mill last weekend.
      Here is a link that shows what it looks like (not mine).

      http://micron.me.dal.ca/Courses/CADCAM/Photos/easimill_1.jpg

      The mechanical bits are in great shape, but the controller itself was
      dead. I spent a few days on it, then discovered it was hopeless and
      decided to replace it. It is stepper drive, the motor drivers are
      Parker Hannifin CD20's, here is a link.

      http://www.cmotor.com/manuals/cd/CD20-30.pdf

      The motor controllers and power supply seem to be good. I am running
      a 2.66GHz pc with a Campbell Combo board. The Combo board speaks to
      the pc just fine and blinks lights and switches switches (the first
      two laptops I tried to use didn't). However, the drives will not
      move. I know they are live because if I disconnect the step and
      direction wires to the controller with everything powered up, the
      motors chatter. But, Mach cannot make the motors move. The manual
      for the controllers says that they expect a "low-going transition" for
      step and direction signals. It also says that "the input should
      remain low for not less than 5us and not more than 30us" Max step
      rate is 50kHz in half-step mode which is how they are jumpered.

      Anyway, I messed with them for about an hour with no luck, then saw
      the timing info above and had my "Aha! moment (no relation to the
      controllers). So I went into motor tuning and set the pulse frequncy
      to 5us, but it made no difference, the motors do nothing. I went back
      into the screen and tried setting the value to 10 (it says 5 is the
      max) and I noticed that the screen was showing 4us in the box. In
      other words, it had spontaneously gone down by one. I changed it to
      10, which it allowed despite the claimed max value of 5. I saved
      changes, exited, tested with no improvement, then went back. Now it
      was showing the value as 9. WTF?

      If I have to I will replace the drives with Geckos, but I'd really
      like to be able to make it work with these CD20's since I've already
      spent WAY too much money this month (new roof and broken CNC mill).

      PLEASE HELP!

      thanks,
    • Les Newell
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
        Hi Corey,

        Are you using a Parker drive rack or are you directly connecting to the
        drives? The drives use 12V logic, not 5V. The Campbell board uses 5V.
        You need to use an open collector buffer chip, something like a ULN2003
        darlington driver should work.

        Les

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
          The drives are connected to a backplane, but the data lines are just a
          straight passthru, there is no logic on the backplane just a couple of
          fuses and connectors to attach to power.

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Les Newell <lesnewell@h...> wrote:

          > Hi Corey,
          >
          > Are you using a Parker drive rack or are you directly connecting to the
          > drives? The drives use 12V logic, not 5V. The Campbell board uses 5V.
          > You need to use an open collector buffer chip, something like a ULN2003
          > darlington driver should work.
          >
          > Les
        • Les Newell
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
            In that case you need to find some way of buffering the signals. A
            ULN2003 is easy to use. Get the data sheet from here
            <http://www.jaycar.com.au/images_uploaded/ULN2003.PDF> to see what I am
            talking about (usual warning - you may have to cut and paste the link).

            Connect pin 8 to ground. Connect your signals from the Campbell board to
            the inputs and your drives to the outputs. For instance if you connect X
            step from the breakout board to pin 1 then connect pin 16 to the X step
            input on the drive. You don't need to supply the chip with power. Note
            that these chips invert the signal so you want to select active high in
            Mach. Your drive's logic supply will of course have to be connected to
            12V not 5V.

            You can also use a ULN2803 which is an 8 channel equivalent. It just has
            two more pins, making ground pin 9.

            Les

            corey94945 wrote:

            >The drives are connected to a backplane, but the data lines are just a
            >straight passthru, there is no logic on the backplane just a couple of
            >fuses and connectors to attach to power.

            >--- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Les Newell <lesnewell@h...> wrote:
            >

            >>Hi Corey,
            >>
            >>Are you using a Parker drive rack or are you directly connecting to the
            >>drives? The drives use 12V logic, not 5V. The Campbell board uses 5V.
            >>You need to use an open collector buffer chip, something like a ULN2003
            >>darlington driver should work.
            >>
            >>Les
            >>

            >www.machsupport.com - Web site Access
            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • corey94945
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
              Les,
              thank you very much for your help. I'm heading to Radio Shack over
              lunch, if they don't have it I'll get it from one of the mail-order
              places. I can't wait to have this mill perform its first wiggle.

              cheers,

              --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Les Newell <lesnewell@h...> wrote:

              > In that case you need to find some way of buffering the signals. A
              > ULN2003 is easy to use. Get the data sheet from here
              > <http://www.jaycar.com.au/images_uploaded/ULN2003.PDF> to see what I am
              > talking about (usual warning - you may have to cut and paste the link).
            • art
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
                Hi c:

                > move. I know they are live because if I disconnect the step and
                > direction wires to the controller with everything powered up, the
                > motors chatter. But, Mach cannot make the motors move. The manual
                > for the controllers says that they expect a "low-going transition" for
                > step and direction signals. It also says that "the input should
                > remain low for not less than 5us and not more than 30us" Max step
                > rate is 50kHz in half-step mode which is how they are jumpered.

                If the motors chatter when the step/dir lines are disconnected, the I
                suspect one thing,
                either they are 12 volt (or 24Volt) inputs (many parker's are). Youd need to
                make a 24 volt level shifter to run them. (I dumped a few parkers years ago
                due to poor performance due to this issue..)

                Regards,