Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Sending programs wireless

  • tppjr
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2005
      Art,

      I copied the file from the home computer to the second hard drive on the
      shop computer. So Mach was running it from the hard drive.

      Thomas

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2005
        On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 09:28:39 -0700, you wrote:

        >I copied the file from the home computer to the second hard drive on the
        >shop computer. So Mach was running it from the hard drive.

        I do this all the time, copy file from main computer here in house to
        workshop computer via Belkin 802.11g wireless card.

        When I run jobs on the workshop machine I disable the network card ;)
        Can have some weird effects on Mach3 if you don't.

        Steve Blackmore
        --
      • washcomp
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2005
          I think we can divide this question into a couple of sperate parts:

          If I understand the problem, based on Art's answer, you require the
          bandwidth of the data transfer to be in the order of magnitude
          expected from a hard disk. Olivier's suggestion that a SAN would work
          is valid because SAN is essentially a fiber based SCSI interface.
          It's unlikely that many on this list are blessed with a SAN network as
          Olivier is absolutely right about the price (it's not unusual to have
          a moderate size SAN setup cost $250,000). Another method of remoting
          storage is a NAS (network attached storage). This cost significantly
          less than SAN's and may be appliance or server based. The concept is
          similar to a file server holding all of your data and connected to
          your network over ethernet. Ethernet 10/100 is slow compared to SCSI
          or ATA/IDE which is used for hard disks. To increase the usability of
          a NAS in acommercial environment, we regularly configure them with
          multiple gigabit 1000/100/10 ethernet ports bonded together. This
          tecnique would likely provide suitable performance for running a file
          across a network. It's possible that a single gigabit port (very
          inexpensive today and becoming the standard on modern motherboards)
          will provide sufficiant performance to run files stored on remote
          networked file servers. It would be desirable to prioritize static IP
          addresses through IEEE 802.11 p&q to assure quality of service, but
          many network switches include this capability.

          While disabling the NIC would certainly curtail network traffic, I
          would think that proper configuration of your switches and setting
          permissions in your windows operating systems might go a long way
          towards protecting you CNC controller from unwanted/unexpected issues.

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Steve Blackmore <steve@p...>
          wrote:
          > On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 09:28:39 -0700, you wrote:
          >
          > >I copied the file from the home computer to the second hard drive
          on the
          > >shop computer. So Mach was running it from the hard drive.
          >
          > I do this all the time, copy file from main computer here in house to
          > workshop computer via Belkin 802.11g wireless card.
          >
          > When I run jobs on the workshop machine I disable the network card ;)
          > Can have some weird effects on Mach3 if you don't.
          >
          > Steve Blackmore
          > --
        • washcomp
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2005
            Opps, forgot about wireless:

            The rational way to look at wireless networking is to approximate the
            overhead at about 50%. The 54mb of 802.11g will effectivly give you
            about 27mb at closer ranges and deteriorate from there out. There are
            a few companies (Belkin, D-Link, to name a couple) who advertise a G+
            or G Turbo speed of 108mb speed. These will be somewhat faster than
            standard G, but the NIC and the access point must be from the same
            manufacturer as the way that these are handled is proprietary in each
            case. I don't see a problem with this technology for transfering a
            file to a local drive and then running the file locally. The file
            should not change if done this way and should run fine from the local
            hard disk. If your files are garbled, there is something wrong with
            your network. This is not a MACHx issue, but should be promptly
            investigated. If it persists and you are over your head technically,
            hire a local propeller head to look at it. If it's screwing up these
            files on transfer, it will likely cause you other issues at the worst
            poosible time with other files (remember: Murphy was an opptomist).

            Jeff

            wrote:
            > On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 09:28:39 -0700, you wrote:
            >
            > >I copied the file from the home computer to the second hard drive
            on the
            > >shop computer. So Mach was running it from the hard drive.
            >
            > I do this all the time, copy file from main computer here in house to
            > workshop computer via Belkin 802.11g wireless card.
            >
            > When I run jobs on the workshop machine I disable the network card ;)
            > Can have some weird effects on Mach3 if you don't.
            >
            > Steve Blackmore
            > --
          • Sorin Paul
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2005
              Hi,

              Mach3 won't work with the USB flash plugged in. Lost steps, jerky
              movements...

              Sorin

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 1, 2005
                Not to run the program from, just to take it to the mill computer and load
                to the hard drive first.

                Thomas
                > Mach3 won't work with the USB flash plugged in. Lost steps, jerky
                > movements...
                >
                > Sorin

              • stuart dean
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 1, 2005
                  High I just tried to throw my five eggs in

                  I used to USB drive nearly all time I transferred G
                  code files to my machine without any problem you
                  simply click on import g code and you find the right
                  drive and the file done job the drive is dealt with as
                  a hard drive

                  I hope this helps many thanks Stuart

                  --- R Rogers <rogersmach@...> wrote:

                  ---------------------------------
                  Art,

                  What about one of the little USB flash storage
                  devices? Would be handy, throw it in a USB port at
                  home load drawings etc. Take it to work and transfer
                  to machine. Would these be ok for that? CD's are
                  scratched easily, fragile and not easily carried in a
                  pocket.

                  Ron

                  art <fenerty@...> wrote:
                  Hi:

                  Depends on how you read the file by MAch3. All tap
                  files must be on a local
                  harddrive, do not use networked drives, these files
                  are memory mapped at
                  load to make any length work, loading them from a
                  floppy or network drive
                  will be a problem..

                  >I am getting my machine up and running and have been
                  fighting some oddities
                  > when running programs. I think that I have figued
                  out what could have
                  > been
                  > a big part of the problem tonight.
                  >
                  > I uploaded a simple program that I did with OneCNC
                  (just starting with
                  > that
                  > too) via a wireless modem. When I view the program
                  in the tool path
                  > display
                  > it does not look like it should. It is basically
                  just a circle within a
                  > circle. On Mach 3 the circles are not nice and
                  round. They are chopped
                  > up.

                  Cnc controller Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby
                  Hobbies and crafts

                  Terms of Service.

                  Cnc
                  controller Hobby