Settings keeps reverting themself.

  • Henrik Olsson
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2005
      Art, list
      I think I've found a problem. With the control in E-Stop go to the
      Home/Limits setup and make some changes, press OK. Open the Home/Limits
      again to verify the changes. Then goto Ports/Pins but don't change anything
      just hit OK and then check the Home/Limits again.

      On mine the settings on the Home/Limts keep reverting themself after I've
      been in Ports/Pins. Not the values but the Reversed, AutoZero and Home Neg
      settings.

      Could someone verify this?
      (RC1.6 on this machine)

      And what exactly is the difference between the Dir low active in Motor
      Outputs and the Reversed setting in Home/Limits?

      Thanks!
      /Henrik Olsson.
    • art
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2005
        HI Henrik:

        > I think I've found a problem. With the control in E-Stop go to the
        > Home/Limits setup and make some changes, press OK. Open the Home/Limits
        > again to verify the changes. Then goto Ports/Pins but don't change
        > anything
        > just hit OK and then check the Home/Limits again.

        The settings are a little funny that way, if you exit the program and
        restart after changing things, they will stick, but there are some that will
        revert if you use thge config/ports&Pins. It has to do with syncronising in
        the engine, I'll put it onlist to see if I can fix it up thoguh..

        There actually is a difference in the reversing of motors and the Low
        Active settings. Some manufactures change the DRI on the downclock, others
        on the upclock, it can help a icky driver to be configured correctly. To
        most though, there is no difference..

        > Art
      • japrenticeuk
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2005
          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik Olsson" <henrik-
          olsson@t...> wrote:
          > Art, list
          > I think I've found a problem. With the control in E-Stop go to the
          > Home/Limits setup and make some changes, press OK. Open the
          Home/Limits
          > again to verify the changes. Then goto Ports/Pins but don't change
          anything
          > just hit OK and then check the Home/Limits again.
          >
          > On mine the settings on the Home/Limts keep reverting themself
          after I've
          > been in Ports/Pins. Not the values but the Reversed, AutoZero and
          Home Neg
          > settings.
          >
          > Could someone verify this?
          > (RC1.6 on this machine)

          Yep, I found this over weekend. Very confusing it is too - apologies
          for not reporting.

          Workaround is Exit Mach3 after setting. On reload the settings are
          right and stay stuck.

          Art, possible bug in the evil interface in MFC to dialogs?

          John Prentice
        • Henrik Olsson
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1, 2005
            Thanks Art and John!
            It's one of those things that makes you a bit carefull and not really trust
            yourself or the machine (when not knowing about it, that is). You know you
            made that change but.....what's up with it now....

            Thanks for the explanation on the Dir Low vs Reverse setting.

            /Henrik.

            > The settings are a little funny that way, if you exit the program and
            > restart after changing things, they will stick, but there are some that
            > will
            > revert if you use thge config/ports&Pins. It has to do with syncronising
            > in
            > the engine, I'll put it onlist to see if I can fix it up thoguh..
            >
            > There actually is a difference in the reversing of motors and the Low
            > Active settings. Some manufactures change the DRI on the downclock, others
            > on the upclock, it can help a icky driver to be configured correctly. To
            > most though, there is no difference..
            >
            >> Art
          • Henrik Olsson
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 2, 2005
              Art,
              I just tried to use the verify function and after that I couldn't get the
              machine to zero itself when homed. I tried all kinds of things, turning of
              the Persitant DRO, restart Mach3, reboot the computer etc. It turns out that
              the autozero setting in Home/Limits gets reset when ever you press the
              verify button.
              I understand that it temporarily needs to NOT zero the DRO when the switch
              is hit but please turn it back on again when the verify is complete.

              Regarding the verify. I just rewired my switches to all on one pin to free
              up two inputs for my MPG ( thanks again Peter! ). It works like a charm when
              homing but the verify function moves all three axis at the same time so it
              doesn't work for me. Is there any way to change that to do one axis at the
              time like the homing does?

              Thanks!
              /Henrik Olsson.
            • outofstepper
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2, 2005
                henrik, hello. i don't know anything about reverted settings, but I'd
                like to ask about your MPG. did you purchase it? make it yourself?
                I'm looking for a good MPG to work with Mach3. links? tips?

                -tony

                <henrik-olsson@t...> wrote:
                > Art,
                > I just tried to use the verify function and after that I couldn't
                get the
                > machine to zero itself when homed. I tried all kinds of things,
                turning of
                > the Persitant DRO, restart Mach3, reboot the computer etc. It turns
                out that
                > the autozero setting in Home/Limits gets reset when ever you press the
                > verify button.
                > I understand that it temporarily needs to NOT zero the DRO when the
                switch
                > is hit but please turn it back on again when the verify is complete.
                >
                > Regarding the verify. I just rewired my switches to all on one pin
                to free
                > up two inputs for my MPG ( thanks again Peter! ). It works like a
                charm when
                > homing but the verify function moves all three axis at the same time
                so it
                > doesn't work for me. Is there any way to change that to do one axis
                at the
                > time like the homing does?
                >
                > Thanks!
                > /Henrik Olsson.
              • Henrik Olsson
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 2, 2005
                  Hi Tony,

                  There was a group purchase that mr Peter Renolds organized. It turned out to
                  be quite a few of us that wanted one and Peter offered to orgainze the whole
                  thing. The one we got can be found here:
                  http://www.nemicon.com/manual.htm
                  It's the OLM-model, second one from the top. If you have problem viewing the
                  .pdf data sheet (I had) it can be found as . jpg files in the filesection of
                  this group.

                  I'm sure you can order one from Nemicon but I don't know about the cost.
                  Sorry you missed out on the bulk purchase.

                  I just hooked mine up today, and I already like it. I've only used one
                  'real' MPG before and that's on our Fanuc 16i control at work, the Nemicon
                  _feels_ just like it - AND it's made of metal and not plastic like on the
                  Fanuc.

                  To be honest Mach3 isn't really there just yet, IMO, in terms of smoothnes
                  and repeatablity. In Mach3 you have 4MPG modes, each one behaving different
                  from the other - good or bad - it's up to you (Personally I like the
                  Multistep). On the Fanuc, whatever you do to the MPG it WILL move the
                  machine to the position you've 'cranked' it to and it does it smooth, so
                  smooth. (OK, a little disclamer here, I'm in no way a Fanuc expert so this
                  may or may not be adjustable on Fanuc but that's the way our one is set up)
                  (2'nd disclaimer, this Fanuc machine is NOT using step/dir controlled step
                  motors like my machine does)

                  In Mach3 some precautions have been made due the fact that you can set the
                  increment per click to whatever you like (like 1 inch, 100mm or whatever)
                  then you crank the MPG 100 clicks and the machine will take off to never
                  never land. On the Fanuc they have prevented that by not allowing the
                  operator to select an increment larger than 0.1mm per 'click'. So what ever
                  you do it won't move more than certain amount per rev of the MPG.

                  Now, the Fanuc costs magnitudes more than Mach3 and Mach3 has SO, SO many
                  other advantages so the above is all just a personal opinion regarding JUST
                  the MPG function. And I know Mach3 is being run on a PC, in Windows and not
                  on multiple dedicated CPU's and DSP's like dedicated controls like Fanuc.
                  (Keep it up Art !! )

                  My best to all of you.
                  /Henrik Olsson.

                  > henrik, hello. i don't know anything about reverted settings, but I'd
                  > like to ask about your MPG. did you purchase it? make it yourself?
                  > I'm looking for a good MPG to work with Mach3. links? tips?
                  >
                  > -tony
                • Dave Hylands
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 2, 2005
                    Hey,

                    > There was a group purchase that mr Peter Renolds organized. It turned out to
                    > be quite a few of us that wanted one and Peter offered to orgainze the whole
                    > thing. The one we got can be found here:
                    > http://www.nemicon.com/manual.htm
                    > It's the OLM-model, second one from the top. If you have problem viewing the
                    > .pdf data sheet (I had) it can be found as . jpg files in the filesection of
                    > this group.

                    I don't feel so bad for missing out on the group buy. I managed to
                    snag a 1985 era Faunc MPG on eBay for $26. It appears to be the same
                    diameter as the OLM, and it's made of metal.

                    The one I got is about twice as thick as the OLM, but I should be able
                    to work with that (I have big hands).

                    --
                    Dave Hylands
                    Vancouver, BC, Canada
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 2, 2005
                      Thanks Henrik:

                      On list for repair. I'll check into the single verfiy , I know it can be
                      done, but I have to look it up..

                      > I just tried to use the verify function and after that I couldn't get the
                      > machine to zero itself when homed. I tried all kinds of things, turning of
                      > the
                    • art
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 2, 2005
                        Dave:

                        >> 1985 era Faunc MPG on eBay for $26. It appears to be the same
                        diameter as the OLM, and it's made of metal

                        Sounds like mine....and I love it...

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 2, 2005
                          Henrick:

                          If you put

                          SingleVerifyReport( axis ) in a button or

                          SingleVerify( axis ) it will do a single axis.. You can put multiple of
                          these in a button to do all axis..Just use a While IsMoveing loop between
                          them..

                          I checked the AutoZero, seems to work here, more testing yet to do..

                          > I just tried to use the verify function and after that I couldn't get the
                          > machine to zero itself when homed. I tried all kinds of things, turning of
                          > the Persitant DRO, restart Mach3, reboot the computer etc. It turns out
                          > that
                          > the autozero setting in Home/Limits gets reset when ever you press the
                          > verify button.
                          > I understand that it temporarily needs to NOT zero the DRO when the switch
                          > is hit but please turn it back on again when the verify is complete.
                          >
                          > Regarding the verify. I just rewired my switches to all on one pin to free
                          > up two inputs for my MPG ( thanks again Peter! ). It works like a charm
                          > when
                          > homing but the verify function moves all three axis at the same time so it
                          > doesn't work for me. Is there any way to change that to do one axis at the
                          > time like the homing does?
                          >
                          > Thanks!
                          > /Henrik Olsson.
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • CalBoy101
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 2, 2005
                            > In Mach3 some precautions have been made due the fact that you can
                            > set the increment per click to whatever you like (like 1 inch,
                            > 100mm or whatever)
                            > then you crank the MPG 100 clicks and the machine will take off to
                            > never never land. On the Fanuc they have prevented that by not
                            > allowing the
                            > operator to select an increment larger than 0.1mm per 'click'.

                            Art-

                            I think Henrik has a pretty good point here. Sharing the step size
                            between jogging and the MPG is asking for trouble, I know eventually
                            I'll end up crashing a cutter or center finder into the vice or
                            workpiece when I forget to lower the step size before using the MPG.

                            What do you think about creating an independent step size setting for
                            the MPG?

                            Paul Titchener
                          • art
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 2, 2005
                              Paul:

                              I'll add it to the list, but frankly, I'm tempted to do as Fanuc did and
                              simply limit the incremntal moves to .1 , the idea has merit. (Id have done
                              it already if I wasnt so fond of my neck...)...

                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 2, 2005
                                Art,

                                My Yaskawa pendant has 3 buttons for X1, X10 and X100. That seems to
                                work well.

                                With the 100ppr MPG that gives 0.1", 1.0" or 10" per rev.

                                I think what you have is OK. On my setup I changed the jog increment
                                table to 0.001, .01 and .1

                                There should be no need to change the code. At most just change the
                                default increment table.

                                And, what about the 80 foot sail cutter I am constructing. I'll get RSI,
                                or fall asleep with a limit of 0.1". :-)

                                Cheers,

                                Peter.

                                art wrote:
                                > Paul:
                                >
                                > I'll add it to the list, but frankly, I'm tempted to do as Fanuc did and
                                > simply limit the incremntal moves to .1 , the idea has merit. (Id have done
                                > it already if I wasnt so fond of my neck...)...

                                > www.artofcnc.ca

                                Web: www.homanndesigns.com
                                email: homann@...
                                Phone: +61 421 601 665
                                www.homanndesigns.com/DigiSpeedDeal.html - DC Spindle control
                                www.homanndesigns.com/TurboTaig.html - Taig Mill Upgrade board
                              • Henrik Olsson
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
                                  Art,
                                  Thanks! Will try that!
                                  Thank you also for verifying that verify messed up the autozero, and for
                                  fixing it!

                                  /Henrik.

                                  : Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Settings keeps reverting themself.