Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Nemicon MPG observations

  • Peter Homann
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hi,

      This can occur if you are rocking it against the detent. It may be the
      way in which Mach3 is processing the encoder inputs. I was having this
      sort of problem with the ModIO until I implemented a state machine for
      processing the inputs.

      Not sure how Art is doing it. This is how I do it in ModIO.

      // Move previous encoder value to bits 2 and 3
      (int8)Encoder2 <<=2;

      // Get new encoder bits
      Encoder2.EncB = ENCODER_B_2;
      Encoder2.EncA = ENCODER_A_2;

      // Remove junk.
      Encoder2 = (ENCODER_TYPE)((int8)Encoder2 & 0b00001111);

      switch((int8)Encoder2)
      {
      // Up Before Now
      case 0b00000001: // 1 0 0 0 1
      case 0b00000111: // 7 0 1 1 1
      case 0b00001000: // 8 1 0 0 0
      case 0b00001110: // 14 1 1 1 0
      {
      ENC_Counter2++;
      UpDebugCount2++;
      break;
      }
      // Down Before Now
      case 0b00000010: // 2 0 0 0 1
      case 0b00000100: // 8 0 0 0 1
      case 0b00001011: // 11 0 0 0 1
      case 0b00001101: // 13 0 0 0 1
      {
      ENC_Counter2--;
      DownDebugCount2++;
      break;
      }
      // ERR Before Now
      case 0b00000011: // 3 0 0 1 1
      case 0b00000110: // 6 0 1 1 0
      case 0b00001001: // 9 1 0 0 1
      case 0b00001100: // 12 1 1 0 0
      {
      ENC_Error2++;
      break;
      }
      // NIL Before Now
      case 0b00000000: // 0 0 0 0 0
      case 0b00000101: // 5 0 1 0 1
      case 0b00001010: // 10 1 0 1 0
      case 0b00001100: // 15 1 1 1 1
      default:
      {
      }
      }

      Cheers,

      Peter.

      Garry Jordan wrote:
      > It's not really a jitter, but a two-step-per-detent double pump as you
      > slowly turn the MPG. I tried several different counts/detent, and didn't see
      > any discernable change in behavior. No real pattern to it. You get a few
      > clean single steps, then a "bump bump" when you click the next detent. If
      > you're sneaking up on an edge, this can be quite disconcerting.
      >
      > On my system (Mach3 1.7, Geckos and servos), this only happens when I'm in
      > the MPG "Single Step" mode. In the Multi step and step/velocity modes, it's
      > been working for me with a clean one-jog-increment-per-MPG-detent, which
      > leads me to believe that it could be software related.
      >
      > IMO the Nemicon MPG itself is a brilliant piece of hardware. Smooth as silk,
      > and working out better than I had expected.
      >
      > Garry
      > ---------

      Web: www.homanndesigns.com
      email: homann@...
      Phone: +61 421 601 665
      www.homanndesigns.com/DigiSpeedDeal.html - DC Spindle control
      www.homanndesigns.com/TurboTaig.html - Taig Mill Upgrade board
    • JCullins
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2005
        I set mine up by moving a click at a time and watching the DRO I move 3 clicks and the DRO would change. So
        In Mach2 config\Encoder setup I entered a 3. and it worked.
        In Mach3 just press on the TAB key and a window will appear on the right side of the screen. Select tune and follow the prompts.
        Jim
        Ok, that makes sense. However, I *want* to be able to move one
        increment .0001", .001", .010" and .100" per click. When you are
        setting up, sneaking in for a touch off etc..., you really need this
        possibility. This is acutally the most important part for me, as
        this is how real industrial CNC machinery MPG's operate. To have to
        move 2 or 3 clicks of the MPG to get 1 increment of movement is
        counter-intuitive. Just my opinion of course.

        I'll play with the counts/pulse setting and see what happens, then I
        try the latest version of Mach3 and see how that works.

        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, art <fenerty@a...> wrote:
        > Lance:
        >
        > No, its not a buffer, it just tells the system how many counts
        equals one
        > detent. But if you use 1, then its easy for the system to see the
        encoder
        > toggle around one count. (Most encoders will toggle around one
        count just
        > due to vibration if they are high count encoders..) There is no
        setting too
        > high, it will just increase the amount you need to turn it to get
        one
        > movement increment.

        > www.artofcnc.ca

        Machine controller

      • art
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2005
          Lance,

          It isnt two or three clicks of the MPG, its how many encoder counts happen
          per click. On mine for example, I get three encoder counts per click of the
          MPG, thats what your setting.. (In Mach3 theres a calibrator to figure this
          out for you...)