A axis motor tuning / Taig CNC

  • free2cnc
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
      With the help of Peter I got my machine working with Mach-2 and
      everything drives very smooth. I have the older Micropoto drive with
      the step/dir board installed.

      The problem I am having now is that A axis has to be driven at F700 and
      higher in order to achieve a resonable speed of rotation. Is this
      normal or am I missing something. The A axis runs at a resonable speed
      under G00. Peter does not use A axis so he does not have any exposer to
      this issue.

      Larry
    • free2cnc
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
        Certainly somebody or perhaps everybody knows the answear to this
        question or is this a unspeakable issue?

        Larry

        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "free2cnc" <rentals4u@c...> wrote:
        > With the help of Peter I got my machine working with Mach-2 and
        > everything drives very smooth. I have the older Micropoto drive with
        > the step/dir board installed.
        >
        > The problem I am having now is that A axis has to be driven at F700
        and
        > higher in order to achieve a resonable speed of rotation. Is this
        > normal or am I missing something. The A axis runs at a resonable
        speed
        > under G00. Peter does not use A axis so he does not have any exposer
        > this issue.
        >
        > Larry
      • Bill Johnson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
          i am having a little difficulty understanding the question but it sounds like you need to check the number of pulses in config>motor tuning for the a axis

          free2cnc <rentals4u@...> wrote:Certainly somebody or perhaps everybody knows the answear to this
          question or is this a unspeakable issue?

          Larry

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "free2cnc" <rentals4u@c...> wrote:
          > With the help of Peter I got my machine working with Mach-2 and
          > everything drives very smooth. I have the older Micropoto drive with
          > the step/dir board installed.
          >
          > The problem I am having now is that A axis has to be driven at F700
          and
          > higher in order to achieve a resonable speed of rotation. Is this
          > normal or am I missing something. The A axis runs at a resonable
          speed
          > under G00. Peter does not use A axis so he does not have any exposer
          > this issue.
          >
          > Larry

          ---------------------------------

        • art
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
            HI Larry:

            Sorry about that, I miss alot due to extreme email traffic. Just yeall like
            that when I miss you..

            The A rotation is based on degrees per minute. 700 feed is 700 degrees per
            minute, so even that can look slow. Set the A rotation diameter to .0001 in
            the setting tab. If this DRO is not set to zero, then the controller will
            calcuate the feedrate on it at Units/Minute based on the liunear distance of
            the circumferance of the object based on the Z distance from the object. For
            example, if the Z is at 5" and the A rotational diamter is set to .0001, the
            program will calculate the circumferance of a circle 5 incches around and
            will travel at feedrate aroudn that object at 700 inches per minute rather
            than 700 degrees per minute. If the Z moves to 4 then the circle is now a 4"
            circle circumferance.

            I suspect this is the trouble, the misunderstanding of angular vs linear
            dimentions. Try setting a rot diamter and the unit will speed up greatly...

            > Certainly somebody or perhaps everybody knows the answear to this
            > question or is this a unspeakable issue?
            >
            > Larry
            >
            > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "free2cnc" <rentals4u@c...> wrote:
            >> With the help of Peter I got my machine working with Mach-2 and
            >> everything drives very smooth. I have the older Micropoto drive with
            >> the step/dir board installed.
            >>
            >> The problem I am having now is that A axis has to be driven at F700
            > and
            >> higher in order to achieve a resonable speed of rotation. Is this
            >> normal or am I missing something. The A axis runs at a resonable
            > speed
          • Olivier ADLER
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
              A axis feedrate is in degree per minute, except if there is a defined
              rotation diameter in the setting screen. This is certainly your problem.
              Verify if you've put a rotation diameter value.

              Olivier.
            • lcdpublishing
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                Hi Larry,

                Just a note to let you know that I don't think you are being
                ignored. I don't have an "A" axis either so I can't help either.
                The one thing to keep in mind about rotational axis though...

                At 100 RPM - the surface passing the tool on a small part is pretty
                slow.

                At 100 RPM - the surface passing the tool on a large part is pretty
                fast.

                I know this may seem vague, but therein lies part of the
                problem/solution. I hope someone else can provide more details that
                will actually help you. I too will be building and making a rotary
                axis this coming winter if time allows - so I will be watching this
                thread for information with you.

                Chris

                wrote:
                > Certainly somebody or perhaps everybody knows the answear to this
                > question or is this a unspeakable issue?
                >
                > Larry
                >
                > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "free2cnc" <rentals4u@c...>
                wrote:
                > > With the help of Peter I got my machine working with Mach-2 and
                > > everything drives very smooth. I have the older Micropoto drive
                with
                > > the step/dir board installed.
                > >
                > > The problem I am having now is that A axis has to be driven at
                F700
                > and
                > > higher in order to achieve a resonable speed of rotation. Is
                this
                > > normal or am I missing something. The A axis runs at a
                resonable
                > speed
                > > under G00. Peter does not use A axis so he does not have any
                exposer
                > > this issue.
                > >
                > > Larry
              • free2cnc
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                  I'm confused. Where is this setting tab to put in .0001?

                  Larry

                • art
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                    Larry:

                    Settings page, A rotation Diameter DRO..

                    > I'm confused. Where is this setting tab to put in .0001?
                    >
                    > Larry
                    >
                    > --- In >
                  • free2cnc
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                      Thank You, I'm heading to the shop to try it.

                      Larry

                      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, art <fenerty@a...> wrote:
                      > Larry:
                      >
                      > Settings page, A rotation Diameter DRO..

                      > www.artofcnc.ca

                    • free2cnc
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                        Thanks Art. I had to come back inside to thank you for the help
                        because everything works great now. I ended up using .5 which made
                        the F scale work good.

                        So many buttons to learn, so little time. Back to the shop....