Re: thoughts on screen design

  • caudlet
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 27, 2003
      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Meckem" <zoomer@n...>
      wrote:
      > I have been setting up my screen for my father who has little
      > experince with CNC.
      > Trying to train him as my cnc operator only right now.
      >
      > For this purpose I think less info the better.
      > I would like to see diag screen and other non job related screens
      > become menu items rather than buttons and or pages.
      >
      > His mill does not have spindel on off or rpm checking, nor limit
      > switches. So I left those items out of my design I recently
      > uploaded. Some day we will hook that stuff up,And I can add that
      > stuff back in.
      >
      > His mill is a simple desktop 4th axis machine with no bells and
      > whistles.

      While simplicity is a virtue you will find that even complex screens
      are pretty easy to get used to. Kind of like an instrument panel on
      a modern aircraft. Your eye and experience will allow you to rapidly
      focus on the control you need on a crowded panel. If you logically
      group and place the controls it makes it even faster. I got used to
      MACH1 with everything on the main screen and Art came out with the
      mutiple screen MACH2....I HATED it for a while. I ran from the
      diagnostics screen for a long time until I could find time to design
      my own. I ended up building a screen that had 100% of everything I
      use and I never switch around. Some controls I very seldom use but
      my brain (the part that allows me to hear the TV audio while my wife
      is talking loudly to her sister in the same room) lets me filter them
      out and focus on the controls I need.

      After a basic training period with a simple screen you might want to
      try a more complex version. Ignore the howls of protest for a few
      days and see if the operator gets acclimated to the new interface.
    • Chuck Meckem
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 27, 2003
        Example:
        There is no reason for my operator to go to the diag page at all.
        The machine is set and running great, Why would I, or he need to
        have easy access to it? I am in the belif that the machine is there
        to make parts. Some find that the machine itself is there hobby. To
        each there own, hence the editor. Just wish I could make the hardly
        used pages a menu item instead of a page. Could help make more room
        on first page for important info. I think it will be great to see
        others screens and how others chose to work with Mach. I might learn
        something new. My 2 cents..:)