Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Useful utility

  • Les Newell
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
      Hi all,

      A quick warning - Win2K command prompt windows appear to hijack keyboard
      messages before they reach KeyGrabber. If a command prompt is the active
      window, KeyGrabber will not work!

      Les
    • Digital audio Pro
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
        Les, some interesting articles on direct input programming :

        http://www.codeguru.com/directx/joystick.shtml

        http://www.gamespp.com/directx/directinput/

        http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1346.asp

        http://www.developerfusion.com/show/2590

        One of the advantages of Direct input :

        "Apart from providing services for devices not supported by the Microsoft®
        Win32® API, Microsoft® DirectInput® gives faster access to input data by
        communicating directly with the hardware drivers rather than relying on
        Microsoft® Windows® messages. "

        The use of direct input should give better and more consistent response time
        than keyboard and keyboard emulators. With the advantage to grabb input even
        if the software is in the backgroud.

        Regards,

        Olivier.

      • Les Newell
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
          Hi Olivier,

          >The use of direct input should give better and more consistent response
          time
          >than keyboard and keyboard emulators. With the advantage to grabb input
          even
          >if the software is in the backgroud.

          As far as I can tell Direct input will not let you claim exclusive access to
          a device unless your application is in the foreground. This rather defeats
          the aim of KeyGrabber. With the current scheme I can claim specific keys and
          use them even if Mach2 is in the background.

          I will investigate further and certainly will have a go at using it to
          capture joystick and game pad buttons.

          Les

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
            Hi,
            I have just uploaded KeyGrabber V1.2 which will now support up to 8
            incremental encoders (MPGs, digital pots etc). See the ReadMe.doc for more
            details.

            I have been working on this for 16 hours straight. I am going to bed now...

            Les
          • Digital audio Pro
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2003
              Thanks a lot Les. Nice work.