leadscrew calibration method

  • Doug Fortune
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2005
      Nick, thats a great idea!

      Bearings are great for that because their ID's and OD's are
      so precisely round. The bigger bearings are also heavy enough
      that gently digitizing their diameters won't move the bearing.

      When that position has been mapped, the router/mill can just
      drag the bearing into a new position (perhaps using the probe
      placed in the ID, if the probe is robust enough) and begin the
      process again, until eventually the entire table has been error mapped.

      cheers
      Doug Fortune

      Nick van Der Walt had a great idea back on Feb 2/2005:

      >I have played with tiling 50mm OD bearing on the bed. Then using
      >a probe I digitized their ID's slowly, this gave me a series of
      >digitized ellipses on the bed that I theoretically know the actual
      >position and shape of. From that it is possible to calculate a
      >reasonable error map
    • art
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
        Hi JErry:

        I use a HP HEDS enocder. It had wires though and I just hooke dup the red
        and black to 5 volts, the scoped the lines one by one to find the quadrature
        signals...

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
          Thanks Art,
          The one wire is black so I figure that's the neg 5V.
          My problem was with the others; none is red or white.
          I just looked at them under a magnifier and with that I see one is
          white with only a red tracer so I'm going to assume that's the pos 5v.
          The others have muliple tracers. Without the magnifier, and in garage
          light they all looked alike.
          I thought there'd be continuity through the + and - but there's none
          I can measure. Anyway I've got a few so if I blow one or two, no big
          deal.

          Off this topic, the drilling cycles sound great, I'll get to use them
          in the next two days,.

          Jerry

          > Hi JErry:
          >
          > I use a HP HEDS enocder. It had wires though and I just hooke dup
          the red
          > and black to 5 volts, the scoped the lines one by one to find the
          quadrature
          > signals...

        • art
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
            Jerry:

            Yeah, their a little hard to hurt I have found anyway. I think a web search
            may help you, though it had nothing on my HED5010 encoder..
            Let me know how you find the drilling cycles..