Polling - Cutter Compensation / How Does it Work?

  • Servo Wizard
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 20, 2003
      To all with a comment,

      While reading the recent post I stumbled on to another Mach2 feature
      that does not align with my experience.

      Cutter compensation as I know it is used for correction of the actual
      tool radius when compared to the diameter/radius of the tool that was
      used for generating the tool path. Example: part to be manufactured
      is 2" in diameter, the tool diameter is entered in to the contour
      parameters and G41 cutter compensation is selected. If the tool path
      was generated with a .625" diameter cutter then the actual tool path
      would be 2.625" in diameter. If the tool in use measured .615 then
      the tool table entry for "D" would be -.005.

      Cutter compensation in Mach2 is used for offsetting the tool path so
      that it can be generated to the net part. Example: part to be cut is
      a 2" diameter circle, cutting tool is .625" diameter, a straight
      tangent lead in/out is used, G41 D1 X0.Y1. is called and Mach2 starts
      adding the entire cutting tool radius to the tool path causing X0.Y1.
      to become X0.Y1.3125. The tool path results in the same as example #1
      but by a different means. The down side to this approach as I see it
      is the radical amount of required correction.

      Now, I have been advised that this is how it works in one person's
      world, era of 1983/1991. 1983 was the last time that I can recall
      having worked with this type of cutter compensation, it was on a 1983
      Hurco CNC mill that used conversational programming. I thought that
      this task was assigned to the CAM program.

      OK, I would like to know what the popular opinion/position is on this
      issue.

      Servo
    • Bob Simon
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 20, 2003
        At 10:27 PM 10/20/03 +0000, you wrote:
        >To all with a comment,
        >
        >While reading the recent post I stumbled on to another Mach2 feature
        >that does not align with my experience.
        >
        >Cutter compensation as I know it is used for correction of the actual
        >tool radius when compared to the diameter/radius of the tool that was
        >used for generating the tool path. Example: part to be manufactured
        >is 2" in diameter, the tool diameter is entered in to the contour
        >parameters and G41 cutter compensation is selected. If the tool path
        >was generated with a .625" diameter cutter then the actual tool path
        >would be 2.625" in diameter. If the tool in use measured .615 then
        >the tool table entry for "D" would be -.005.

        Many people do program this way, however the intent of the all current
        controller manufacturers (and Mach2) is to enter the actual cutter diameter
        in the tool tables.

        Programming to the center of the cutter and entering cutter errors in the
        tool table is quite popular when developing G-code with CAM systems...less
        math for the operator when adjusting size. Any machine that uses cutter
        compensation can be programmed with this method. Just program to the cutter
        centerline and enter tool size deviation as the radius in the tool
        table. All cutter comp rules (leadin/leadout) still apply.

        >Now, I have been advised that this is how it works in one person's
        >world, era of 1983/1991. 1983 was the last time that I can recall
        >having worked with this type of cutter compensation, it was on a 1983
        >Hurco CNC mill that used conversational programming. I thought that
        >this task was assigned to the CAM program.

        It's all in what works best for you. There is no difference in the machine
        controller itself, only in the method you chose to program...

        -Bob
      • cncgramps
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30, 2003
          We have a couple of Bridgeport Ez-Trac's at work and you program
          them using point to point entries. As you program an "Event" you
          enter the cutter comp. It ask if you want cutter comp left, right or
          center. This is in respect to the direction of travel which you also
          have to choose. Depending on if you want to climb mill or
          conventional mill. There is a seperate entry for tool size.
          So what they are saying is the cutter is comped to the left, right
          or center. Here it is not used as a compensation for tool size.
          If you want to do that to rough out something you enter a larger
          size tool than what you are using and that will leave some stock.

          On another note I am trying out Mach2 for my mill at home and I can
          say that this really is nice software. It can be hard to make a
          change when you are use to something but I will that this is going
          to be well worth the effort.
          And the support that Art gives is fantastic.

          Gary

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Servo Wizard"

        • cncgramps
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 30, 2003
            Here is three examples showing the cutter comp for the EZ-trac.

            N3 G101 XB0I YB0I XE7.7000A YE0.0000A TC2 F5.0000 D0.25 CR0.0000

            N3 G101 XB0I YB0I XE7.7000A YE0.0000A TC0 F5.0000 D0.25 CR0.0000

            N3 G101 XB0I YB0I XE7.7000A YE0.0000A TC1 F5.0000 D0.25 CR0.0000

            The first is comp left TC2
            The second is NO comp. TC0
            The third is comp right. TC1

            These were generated with an Autocad .lsp file that matches what the
            EZ-Trac controller reads.

            Gary

            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "cncgramps" <cncgramps@y...>