Home switches on Keyboard emulator?

  • washcomp
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
      OK;

      I'm looking at using reference/home switches on my BP. I guess I
      could put all of my limit switches in series (N.C.) and then use
      seperate parallel inputs for the home switches. (But it may be
      usefull to keep them seperate). E-Stop takes an input. MPG takes a
      couple of inputs, maybe some other stuff (coolant low, tool ready,
      etc.?). You see where I'm headed.

      Art: Does it make sense to make use of the 256 possible ASCII codes
      through a keyboard emulator and allow them to be linked to input
      functions? It would also allow people usings standard keyboards (or
      keyboard substitutes of various kinds) to link an arbitraty keystroke
      or input character (other than the ones you've reserved already) to
      any input function they desire (as long as that function involves a
      descrete on/off).

      Incidently, for those who are interested, some of the keyboard
      emulataors I've come across will also input/output in RS-232 serial.
      If you machine is large (say 50') it would allow control
      communications from one side of the machine to the other ;-]

      Thanks for listening,
      Jeff
    • Arturo Moises
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
        Jef
        Right now I think you can not have the home switches in parallel, home switches are to be individual per axis so each axis can be homed separately. However
        to save some input pins maybe Art can make Mach2 home all axes individually, looking for the same signal and home all axes in a sequence.
        Arturo
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • washcomp
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
          Arturo:

          My point exactly. The parallel ports we've all grown to depend on
          are limited to only a few input lines. I imagine that the "check
          off" boxes on Art's screens link to a function on a selected parallel
          port line (if asigned to a limit switch, then changes state when
          switch is hit). My point is that the software shouldn't care much if
          the input is a key stroke (or selected ASCII character) instead.
          Using an appropriate class of inexpensive and readily available
          hardware (keyboard emulators and/or encoders) will provide between 25
          and 76 more inputs (depending on model).

          Basicly, I'm asking whether it makes sense to add (where Art has the
          two parallel ports for you to select) a column for keyboard input and
          the means to select appropriate assignable characters. Hopefully,
          doing it this way does not present a huge reprogramming burden as
          almost all of the work has already been done to accept parallel port
          signals. All this is is designating a keyboard signal instead. Each
          of us has their own economic guidelines on their beasts, but to me at
          least, getting 26 more inputs for about $40 is not a bad investment.
          (For those who are gluttons for punishment, the underlying chips are
          also available as a commodity). It would let us easily make whatever
          pushbuttons and pendants we wanted without too much fancy footwork.

          Please let me know what you think.

          Regards,
          Jeff

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Arturo Moises" <arturo5@n...>
          wrote:
          > Jef
          > Right now I think you can not have the home switches in
          parallel, home switches are to be individual per axis so each axis
          can be homed separately. However
          > to save some input pins maybe Art can make Mach2 home all axes
          individually, looking for the same signal and home all axes in a
          sequence.
          > Arturo

          Service.

        • Arturo Moises
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
            Jef
            That would be great, to be able to use "key strokes" through an emulator for the home switches and other inputs, yes!!! That would be a plus, but in my last response I didn't even go as far as using an emulator to replace the parallel port pins, I meant to have ONE input for all home switches, so that Mach2 will be looking for that signal when homing any axis, so the only difference will be that when homing all axes at once, Mach2 will run a sequence of movements one axis at a time, again looking for the same signal. This will free up 3 or 4 pins and will give the capability of having a home switch for each axis and ( for those who will get to use them all) without the use of any more pins.

            wrote:
            > Jef
            > Right now I think you can not have the home switches in
            parallel, home switches are to be individual per axis so each axis
            can be homed separately. However
            > to save some input pins maybe Art can make Mach2 home all axes
            individually, looking for the same signal and home all axes in a
            sequence.
            > Arturo

            Service.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Servo Wizard
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
              Jeff,

              I have asked Art about the possibility of homing to a hot key and the answer was that it's not possible. Arturo's idea of homing each axis individually in a sequence would possibly reduce the load on the parallel ports. Aside from the homing function the axis over travel detection switches could use an emmulator for alarming Mach2 of the state as well as alarming the axis drives. I have not yet thrown out the idea of homing to to hot keys. Mach2 can be homed at position by a hot key pressed by a human so what's to prevent one from devising away of commanding the axis to travel to the limit switch at a controlled rate of speed and when it makes the limit switch it would also make a circuit close for the assigned emmulated hot key thereby homing the axis?

              Servo

            • washcomp
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
                Servo:

                I'd like to know from Art whether he thinks he can add the "hooks"
                to provide this functionality.

                I agree with your comments. a keyboard emulator opens up use of
                joysticks (microswitch type) push buttons, limit switches, pendants,
                relay contacts or whatever to send a unique signal to MACH2. (The
                ASCII character set of 256 characters provides enough flexibility
                for any of us and presumably ease of interpetation from the
                standpoint of Art's software). A keyboard emulator is probably not
                going to be used by everyone, but as more functions are added to the
                mill/lathe or whatever, it would free us from many of the
                compromises that we currently have to make because we are limited to
                just a few parallel port inputs. The same way that the parallel
                port breakout board (available from multiple sources) has become a
                very common item to be found on MACH2 systems, I think the keyboard
                emulator (also available from multiple sources) may become just as
                popular.

                By the way, if you are looking for joysticks, push buttons etc, you
                might want to browse:

                www,happcontrols,com and
                http://www.wicothesource.com/new2/default.htm

                Regards,
                Jeff

                --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Servo Wizard
                <servowizard@y...> wrote:

                > Jeff,
                >
                > I have asked Art about the possibility of homing to a hot key and
                the answer was that it's not possible. Arturo's idea of homing each
                axis individually in a sequence would possibly reduce the load on
                the parallel ports. Aside from the homing function the axis over
                travel detection switches could use an emmulator for alarming Mach2
                of the state as well as alarming the axis drives. I have not yet
                thrown out the idea of homing to to hot keys. Mach2 can be homed at
                position by a hot key pressed by a human so what's to prevent one
                from devising away of commanding the axis to travel to the limit
                switch at a controlled rate of speed and when it makes the limit
                switch it would also make a circuit close for the assigned emmulated
                hot key thereby homing the axis?

                > Servo

              • Servo Wizard
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
                  Jeff,

                  I'm not a programmer so I don't know how involved it would be but I would like to see Art make every possible effort to consider the use of a keyboard emmulator for new functions such as the selection of the axis to be jogged and the increment to be jogged. He pretty much POPPED my bubble when he told me that Mach2 could not be homed to a hot key, but I patched the bubble and I'm back again. The use of a keyboard emmulator is not a total solution but it goes a long ways towards bringing Mach2 out of the CRT and placing it on a control console thereby making it more like the controls that we would like to be able to afford. Like all other hobbies innovation is part of the enjoyment of reaching your goal. The price of a keyboard emmulator is well within the budget of every Mach2 enthusiast and switches can be purchased through eBay auctions at a fraction of their retail value.

                  Servo