Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re: does that allow for any conclusions?

  • Bill Kichman
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2003
      You said "> I am not sure how close to zero one can get mechanically"

      You can get ZERO backlash with ballscrews. Not a question. I set up my new
      installation this week, and checked it using a dial indicator just as others
      had described. On my x and y axes, with preloaded ballscrews, I have
      absolutely ZERO backlash. Ran it many many times, amazed to see that
      pointer return to absolute zero each time it traveled back and forth.
      My mill Z axis (existing acme screw with heavy knee) has only 4 thou
      backlash, as I was able to press the bevel gear closer for less slop. I am
      very happy with the setup. The only thing I want to change is to revise the
      fixed preload to a belleville spring (washer) preload to account for future
      wear on both screws. Then it wil be darn near perfect.

      It sounds like you have a single ballnut installation by the amount of
      backlash you are seeing. You might consider reviewing the previous messages
      about a month to 6 weeks back related to preloaded screws using 2 identical,
      inexpensive ballnuts threaded against one another in a threaded body
      attached to the table.

      happy camper here...

      R. William Kichman, P.E.
      Kichman Engineering Associates